Others with the relaxing and jumping annoyance?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by IowaMorningGlory, Nov 5, 2006.

1. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

My latest symptom the last month or two is so annoying. I am a nuse and totally understand why, and it so goes with FM. I am looking for support I guess from others who suffer this affliction.

I am so tired usually around 11:00 in the morning. I get my kids off to school around 7:00 and up at 6:00 and by 11:00 can't keep my eyes open.

I lay down on the couch or recliner and cover up to get comfortable. As soon as I relax one leg will jump, then a minute later my middle torso will jump, them maybe my whole body, then a leg again. Tough to relax this way!

My husband has severe RLS so I know the symptoms for that.

This so so different! No squirmy feelings, nothing other than in the morning and sometimes when I first go to bed at night and start to relax. Once I am asleep it doesn't bother me.

Thank you for listening and Blessed Be,
    IowaMorningGlory
  2. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

What a pretty name by the way. I love Morning Glories!

I was diagnosed with Restless legs syndrome in a sleep study but I also have the jumpy muscles you talk about and not just in my legs.

People with FM have such tight muscles that I have often wondered that after we start to relax and our muscles try to relax too if that is what causes this twitching.

For me this also happens in my sleep and wakes me up. My hand will jump and hit my face! lol Last night my hand which is usually resting on the pillow beside me when I sleep on my side actually hit the head board and the sound of my rings hitting the wood woke me up!

Yesterday I did a lot of work outside so my muscles were really painful. I think they are coiled so tight that when they let go it is like an elastic band letting go! Whap right across the face! LOL

No wonder we have so much problem sleeping with our muscles twitching and jumping when we are trying to rest.

hugs Redwillow
  3. IowaMorningGlory

It is annoying, but sometimes it seems so funny. My critters (ie. cat named Tigger or dog named Surf) try laying with me.

It is funny because we will both get comfortable, and of course they lay right on top of me. All of the sudden I start jumping and they look at me as if I am trying to disturb their sleep! (Said with a grin on my face and sarcasm in my voice) It is so funny to watch their expressions, well as much as animals have.

Yes, I know the RLS symtoms very well. I haven't been able to sleep in my bed for about 6 months now (I sleep on the couch, because I can't get comfortable in bed) Anyway, my husband is on the highest dose of Requip that can be prescribed right now so his is pretty bad. I distinctly remember getting bonked along side the head by his hand or kicked with his feet at night, many a time. We always joked someday I would end up with a black eye!
    The kids have learned to that when dad is in the recliner and his meds haven't kicked in yet to stay away from his feet! :)

I am glad you like my name, I like yours too! I love morning glories they are alway so pretty and smell so nice. We grow them up our porches so when we sit outside in the summer they are so relaxing.

Take care and Blessed Be,
    IowaMorningGlory
  4. IowaMorningGlory

Really curious so I thought if I bumped it might help. I go to a new Rhuemy tomorrow and wondered about suggestions.

Thanks,
    IowaMorningGlory
  5. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

6. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

and I take a total of 1.5 mg of Mirapex daily....how much does your husband take? When I saw a neurologist several years ago, he more than doubled what I had been taking and I've stayed at that level for 6 years. I also had a chiropractor who said she had "restless arms"- I'd never heard of that, but it affected her when she was overtired. Maybe both of you could check your potassium and/or iron levels....or have your water tested. By the way, I'm an Iowa girl but haven't lived there for 30 years.
  7. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I, too, love morning glories-especially the blue ones.

I also have RLS along with FMS (and a few other things thrown in for good measure!). I have had the "jumping limbs" problem for some time now. I don't think mine is an bad as yours.

I take Gabitril for the RLS (it's actually a medicine used for epilepsy for it can also be used for RLS). I don't have it the jumping limbs all the time, but it is annoying. It is strange to have your limbs move and you have no control over it.

I should ask my doctor about it at my next appt.

Ellen
  8. bmadan

bmadan New Member

The more I keep reading, the more I find I have alot of the same symptoms as everyone else with FMS. It's good to know we aren't alone, although this isn't something I would wish on anyone.

I have too, just recently noticed the "spasms". Just as I am getting ready to drift off, My leg or arms will twitch and wake me back up. One doc told me it was normal, not sure about normal, but if I find anything out at my next doctor appointment I will be sure to share.

Just wanted you to know you aren't alone.

Barbara
  9. IowaMorningGlory

My husband started out lmg and has slowly increased to 4mg tabs 3X's every day of Requip. (Sometimes more) When he comes home from work if he doesn't take one right away he cannot even sit to eat supper. He has been on them about six years now. He can go up one more mg and that is as high as they go. Yesterday I said he was on the highest dose, but I remembered there is 1 more mg to go.

I cannot take them, they tried me on them and they made me sick.

Is Mirapex less upsetting to the stomach? Or did you have any problems with that? Just curious, thinking about what I can suggest to my physician.

Thay gave me my "official" diagnosis today. I aced the 18 point tenderness test, got 18 of 18. Always have been that overacheiver.

Thanks and Blessed Be,
    IowaMorningGlory

oops, had to edit. Mind fog, forgot to put the name of his Requip down. :)
    [This Message was Edited on 11/06/2006]
  10. IowaMorningGlory

Thanks, I am going to check into the Gab...., oops, boy the brain fog is horrible tonight. I think I better quit. I will look back at the name, but I am going to reseach it as an option.

Thanks,
    IowaMorningGlory
  11. Cindyvr

Cindyvr New Member

I was starting to think it was the meds I was on but I slightly remember doing it before!! LOL Yeah it is really weird when it happens ecspecially when it wakes you up! I have a hard enough time trying to get to sleep and then I beat myself up!! So I am wide awake again...Not taking anything for it but I have a Rheumy appt. next month and will say something to him then!
    Cindy
  12. IowaMorningGlory

Good luck with the Rhuemy appt. next month. Definitely do some research on some of the meds talked about above. Going informed to the Rhuemy really helps. Mine at least is very receptive to suggestions.

I saw him today and asked him if I find information in my research that I think might help could I run it by him and see if was an option to try? He said sure, he is open to any suggestions I may have. That made me feel really good, you know kinda of like I have some control over the fibro. If that makes any sense.

Take care and Blessed Be,
    IowaMorningGlory
  13. IowaMorningGlory

Being in healthcare for over 9 years I learned from the very beginning...."normal" should not belong in the dictionary. (That and the word "assume", but that is a whole different story):)

What is normal? Normal for each of us is different. What may be normal for one person may not be normal for the next.

Having "spasms" is not normal in the sense that if you have fibro it is not a "normal" condition.

You take care and don't take "normal" for an answer.

Blessed Be
    IowaMorningGlory
  14. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I have no problems taking Mirapex- maybe your husband should try it. It really stops restless legs. The dose (1 mg.) I take at bedtime really makes me sleepy, so I sleep pretty well. I have no nausea at all- I rely on my Mirapex! (especially any type of travel- you know what I mean....) God bless! Terri
  15. IowaMorningGlory

Kind of long but explains all the different types of jerking we as FM suffers may encounter. Hope it helps.:)

Myoclonic jerks:
    Myoclonic symptoms vary from mild to severe, depending on the cause of the problem. Myoclonus may begin in childhood or adulthood. The unexpected jerking or twitching may occur once in a while or often. It may be limited to one region of the body or affect all muscle groups. Light, sound, touch, or movement may be triggers. Or it may happen for no apparent reason. Movements can occur at rest or during other movements. There may be one or a series of twitches. Sometimes the jerking occurs in a pattern. Other times there is no pattern. Myoclonus can become so severe that it interferes with eating, speaking, or walking.

Restless leg syndrome:
    is a common, poorly understood disorder characterized by unpleasant sensations of the limbs (deep within the legs and sometimes in the arms) that are precipitated by rest and relieved by activity.

These unpleasant sensations are sometimes described as a creeping, crawling, tingling, burning, aching, painful, pins-and-needles, or an indescribable type of feeling. Symptoms are usually worse in the evening or nighttime, and sleep disturbances are common. It can significantly interfere with both sleep quality and quantity and, as a consequence, can cause daytime drowsiness and fatigue.

Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD):
    formerly known as nocturnal myoclonus, is a condition in which a person's legs or arms twitch or move involuntarily and periodically during sleep. PLMD is not the same as night muscle spasms, or hypnic jerks, that occasionally occur when a person is falling asleep. Many people with PLMD also have Restless Legs Syndrome.

Mirapex is prescribed for all these conditions as far as I could research. This was one of the side effects (actually I kind of got a laugh out of this with my husband) Side effects are only relevent to some people, each reacts differently to medications. I know this as a nurse so don't let this side effect scare you. Like I said, my husband and I got guite a kick out of it.
    Side Effect: You may even fall asleep--without warning and without feeling drowsy--while performing everyday activities. Check with your doctor immediately if you find that you're getting drowsy or falling asleep while eating, talking, or watching television.
    We both figured, heck I already do these things so what would be the difference! (Tee hee)

Blessed Be and hope you have a great day,
    IowaMorningGlory
  16. IowaMorningGlory

I also found that Lyrica help with the the above conditions.

Blessed Be,
    IowaMorningGlory