OTNeed help with toilet stains. Please

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Apr 30, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

This is nasty I know but we don't know what to use. My brother and his wife moved into a house with 2 BR's and one has a toilet that hasn't been cleaned in awhile. Guess they just ran off and left it and the landlord said he couldn't clean it so there ya go.Course he didn't want to be out any expense. They tried bleach but didn't work. It has black in it and they don't want to use it till they can get it cleaned. So I want to know if anyone has any ideas on what to use. Will anything on the maeket work? Thank goodness they have another BR but she doesn't want to leave it like that so they can use it. Thanks Keke
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

...Lime-a-way? I might work.

Good luck,

Karen
  3. petsrme

petsrme Member

Hi, the thing I have found that will get all the stains from a toilet is a pumice stone. I bought mine from Carol Wright online. It is catalog that sells just about anything. We get a ring around our toilet and it is the only thing that I have used that works. You have to rub it on the stains and it comes right off. Off course, they will have to stick their hands in the toilet to scrub, but wearing gloves will protect the hands from germs. I hope they find a something that works.
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Keke466:
    I know that the gal who cleans for me uses Tilex on just about everything, including the toilet.

nyrofan
  5. millennia

millennia New Member

Get a box of extra whitening denture cleaner. Throw in a few tablet and let them sit. Then scrub. They work really well. Maybe not well enough for your problem, but its worth a try. They're great for people like us who have trouble cleaning, they do the scrubing for you. They also work great for bottles or containers you can't reach the bottom of and anything stained with coffee.
  6. srollins

srollins New Member

coco cola..not the diet stuff.
    do they have well water at this new place?

s
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

...to add a thank you to Nyrofan...tilex that is the stuff I could not think of...

...it works great on tough stains no scrubbing (well not a lot anyway) just let it soak for a while repeat several times...it works.

Thanks,

Karen
  8. sherri_baby

sherri_baby New Member

I suggest Sno Bowl. It is powerful stuff and you have to be very careful with it because it has acid in it.

Good luck,
    Sherri
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

that leaves reddish iron stains. I sploosh clr all over and leave it for at least half an hour. Stains come right off w/ the toilet brush after.

Nothing worked before that. I'm chemically sensitive, so the stuff others are recommending would half kill me.

Jeanne
  10. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

It sounds like rust stains! I would use a cup of "Iron Out" in the bowl and leave it set over night. Do not breathe the fumes of this cleaner. Open a window or put on an exhaust fan and leave it run. If that don't work,I don't think it is removeable. A new potty can be bought cheap but installation could be a problem,if you can't do it yourself.
    Hugs Shirley
  11. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I have the very best remedy for toilet stains!

When we moved last Spring the water was really rusty. The toilet looked awful!

My DH got on his hands and knees and scrubbed it with sand paper!

So the answer to my problem was my wonderful husband! I went to work one morning and when I came home that night the toilet was clean!

I should rent him out!!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

When we moved in here the toilet and sinks were engrained with years of black and brown scaling. I used BarKeepers friend(stronger than Ajax) and a gritty scrubber on a stick, I forget what they are called, but they are like a gritty sponge. Anyway, to my amazement all the crud came off first time. IN the past at other homes I have used all sorts of awful stuff that never worked well. Try BKF or Zud.

Love ANNE c
  13. Sososleepy

Sososleepy New Member

Hi,
    I used to have a cleaning buisness and found powdered Zud to get all the nastys out of the bowl. Just sprinkle it all around the bowl and use a toilet brush and let the mixture sit a few minutes. You may have to do it a couple of times but it realy works well. Good Luck:) Sososleepy
  14. jake123

jake123 New Member

What a source of hints this has been. Thank you ladies, I have read every single response and I am going to try several of them. This group of people on this board knows more about stuff than any other group I've every seen.