OTnews coverage of weatherRANT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by starmom, Apr 26, 2006.

1. starmom

starmom New Member

On Monday my state was hit with tornadoes. I feel it is very important for the news to let us know what is going on with the weather. But this coverage was so sensationalist and over the top it made me furious.

They were posting pics of the tornado and asking viewers to take pics and send them on their phones to the station.

What were they thinking??? They got quite a few shots sent in. Why were they not encouraging people to be AWAY from the tornado in safe places??

The coverage lasted over an hour (and of course during 7th Heaven, the ONE show my family sits down for - and one of the last 2 episodes they will ever show, to boot) and was full of pictures of hte tornado.

It was pure ratings grabbing sensationalism. They mentioned safe places, getting away from widnows and outside walls, but the coverage encouraged you to stay near the TV (usually not in an interior walled room with no windows).

Does anyone else think this is over the top, esp asking people to go take photos for them??

Susie
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

It doesn't seem like a smart thing to do. Sounds like the station is more interested in ratings than common sense. If a tornado is in my area, I am definitely heading for the basement not outside to take pictures!

Ellen
  3. starmom

starmom New Member

I was terribly upset by the coverage b/c I have a child who would sneak out to go take pics of the storm. A father (my own) who would also.

I called the station about the request for photos, during the storm coverage. The response from the station was that if they saved the life of even ONE person, then it was all worth it. But what about the lives they endangered with their request for pics? That is "Not a problem of station XYZ, it is the problem of the individual person."

I may very much become active in this. We live in Tornado Alley, and I have seen SO MUCH destruction tornados. I hate that they asked people to endanger themselves.

Susie