Ouch, a Flying Ant Bit Me, Twice!

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by gb66, Aug 12, 2017.

1. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Anyone ever been bitten by one of these little monsters? I am surprised at how much it hurt. I saw something small fly across the room but couldn't find it. About 2 hours later, I sat down in my recliner and felt a very sharp pain on the back of my calf. I saw a small insect fall off. Then, a few hours later, I saw it again crossing the carpet. I picked it up with a kleenex ( big mistake) and darned if it didn't bite me again. I hope these things aren't dangerous. The bite hurt but doesn't seem to be red or swollen now.

It looks like the pictures online of flying ants. Never knew they were biters. I washed the areas and applied neosporin. Hope I'm still alive later on. lol
    Mikie likes this.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

I get bitten all of the time by ants when I'm outside gardening. You don't need to worry about their bites. They might itch a bit, but that's about it. Flying ants are ants that have reached their sexual maturity. ;)
    bct, Mikie and rockgor like this.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi GB

How terrible to be attacked in your own home. Have you thought of purchasing a tarantula to protect you against this sort of invasion? Some experts recommend a flame thrower. Especially if you have army ants
    marching around the premises.

Lots of sites about ants and treatment of ant bites. But sounds like
    you have everything under control now. As you probably know, the
    ants who fly are looking for romance.

Reminds me of an old kids' riddle. Why did the ant-elope? A survey
    revealed that nobody gnu.

Hugs, Rock
    bct and Mikie like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Hmmmm, I once felt the earth move but never flew.

Love, Mikie
    TigerLilea and rockgor like this.
  5. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

OMG, ouchie wah wah. Never heard of that kind of ant. Yikes.

Patti
    rockgor likes this.
  6. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hey, GB

It's later on. Are you still alive? Hope so. We would miss you if you were gone. Maybe we can turn this into a game. "Animals that have bitten me."

I can only think of two: mosquitoes (lots of 'em) back in Minnesota and a small lizard here in California. Like your ant, the lizard showed up in our house. On the second floor! I met it on the stairs as it was coming down, and I was going up. I courageously captured it and took it outside. It rewarded my kindness by biting me.

It's little teeth drew a drop of blood. Good thing it wasn't a Gila monster. America's only poisonous lizard. They kinda look like a beaded purse. Should you encounter one, do not open it. It's venom can make folks illish, but is not fatal.

If you are bitten and the monster hangs on, Wikipedia says you
    can submerge the lizard in water. That will induce it to let go. I
    suppose you could use the same technique if you get your finger
    stuck in a beaded purse.

Hugs
    Rock
    upload_2017-8-12_17-31-20.jpeg upload_2017-8-12_17-39-4.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm still here. I've been bitten by ants before but it didn't hurt this much. Even the little fire ants in Florida.

I'm really wondering if it wasn't some other kind of insect now. It wasn't a sting, more of a bite. I keep looking around the living room to be sure there are no more. (GB now stands for got bitten).
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 1:52 AM
    rockgor and hangininthere like this.
  8. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

I think I'll pass on the tarantula Rock. The most exoctic pet I ever owned was a tiny turtle when I was a kid. We used to buy them at the dime store. They had artwork painted on their little backs. I wonder who thought of that?

Do you remember the Easter chicks and ducks that were dyed pink? I think that is forbidden today. Cruelty to animals and all. Our ducks turned out to be male and female one year and we ended up with baby ducklings eventually. So cute!

The only bites I've ever received were from some insects and one dog bite on my ankle when I was riding a bike. When I lived in Fl a saw a man lose most of his nose from a monkey bite. He leaned over the crate to get a better look at the monkey and it latched on to his nose. Took a while to turn loose. Lots of blood. Scared all of us but most of all the bitee. It was at a roadside exoctic creature exhibit near Tarpon Springs. Lots of them in Fl in those days.

I enjoyed looking at most animals but never cared for the snakes. Gave me nightmares. GB
    rockgor likes this.