Ouch......Has anyone had a Rotator cuff injury?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Holly_RN, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Holly_RN

Holly_RN New Member

Hi,
    I haven't been around for a bit, so I hope everyone remembers me. :) Anywho, I have been dealing with this really painful shoulder for a long time. I just figured it was bursitis or something. It hurts so bad it wakes me up in the night. It is a dull constant ache deep in the joint, and often the pain flares down my right arm. I can't raise it very far if I am trying to raise it straight out and up. I can move it, if I angle it back and up...but the movement is painful. I am beginning to wonder if I have a tear or something in my rotator cuff. Just wondered if anyone else had the same, and what their symptoms are. I haven't been to the Dr. yet. I hurt all of the time, anyway, and I tend to pass everything off as Fibro. Just not so sure this time.
    Thanks in advance.
    With friendship,
    ~Holly_RN~
  2. Holly_RN

Holly_RN New Member

Hi,
    I haven't been around for a bit, so I hope everyone remembers me. :) Anywho, I have been dealing with this really painful shoulder for a long time. I just figured it was bursitis or something. It hurts so bad it wakes me up in the night. It is a dull constant ache deep in the joint, and often the pain flares down my right arm. I can't raise it very far if I am trying to raise it straight out and up. I can move it, if I angle it back and up...but the movement is painful. I am beginning to wonder if I have a tear or something in my rotator cuff. Just wondered if anyone else had the same, and what their symptoms are. I haven't been to the Dr. yet. I hurt all of the time, anyway, and I tend to pass everything off as Fibro. Just not so sure this time.
    Thanks in advance.
    With friendship,
    ~Holly_RN~
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Remember you quite well! Glad to see you on the board, but sorry about that shoulder. I had something like that about a year ago, in both shoulders. I could not raise my arms no higher than my waist (the lower arm was alright, but the top part hurt so bad).

I took Glucosamine and Chondroitin for it. It took about two weeks, but my arms and shoulders are fine now.

We do have a formula here at Pro Health if you want to check it out at the 'Store', It comes in tablets, capsules and liquid.

I think this is Bursitis or Arthritis not Fibro, the pain is in the joint more than the muscles.

Hope you are feeling better soon, thats a terrible pain in a bad place too.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. BlueMoon

BlueMoon New Member

I have! In fact, I had a multi axle dislocation of My left shoulder. Had 2 surgerys & 15 years later it still bothers Me.
    NOW, They want to do my hip! Will I stop falling apart? or will I just fall apart till there's nothing left to fall off?

Robin
  5. ruthiepie

ruthiepie New Member

still under doc's care......mine is left shoulder....ortho doc x-rayed and said it was rotator cuff tenndonitis....gave me cortisone shot and prescrip. for Arthrotec for inflammation....got better(never completely went away)then about a month after finishing the meds, it started getting worse again....went back to doc and he gave me another cortisone inj. and the meds again....said if this didn't take care of it he would order an MRI.....oh well, what more can I say....I guess we either have to live with it or design ourselves to giving our money to the medical profession until we draw our last breath....God Bless and hope your shoulder gets better...remembering you in my prayers
  6. tapmom

tapmom New Member

My husband has been suffering with this for quite some time, and he finally saw a chiropractor who helped his tremendously. He had to see him several times before it was "cured", but it was worth it. He still has to be kind of careful not to reinjure it.
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

in the accident that started my FMS. The only thing that helped was physical therapy and continuting to do the phys. therapy exercises at home every other day for yrs. now. It has restored 85% of the range of motion to my left arm.
    Klutzo
  8. paula45

paula45 New Member

and I have no idea how. I complained of a problem, went to PT (they thought it was bicepital tendenitis); then when I went for facet injections, the doc injected my shoulder as well and found a large tear. I had it repaired April of 2001 and it still is stiff and painful. What I'm not understanding is that it seems my body is deteriorating for no apparent reason. I'm 46 years old, keep having all these weird problems along with FM. Now I have two thoracic spine compression factures from a simple movement I did doing yoga. What the h*ll is going on? Anyone with a clue? Sorry to rant. I just get frustrated.

Love
    Paula
  9. TracyV

TracyV New Member

injured his shoulder in an accendent years ago and broke his shoulder, but the doctor at the time said it wasn't broke. He had surgery last year and he had several bone spurs in there that had to me removed. He has not been happy with the surgery, at times he says it feels worst.
    Hope yours isn't as bad as his, it was really hard on him.
    Hugs,
    Tracy
  10. catlady51

catlady51 New Member

I injured my shoulder in a fall on a patch of ice at work in January of this year and worked for 4 1/2 months with it (not to mention all my other pains from FM) until they decided to do an MRI. A tear was discovered, but the worst of it was that my shoulder had frozen - the worker's comp doc put me out on leave the middle of May and I've not been back since. It hurts like the devil - worse at night when I lie down in bed and my body relaxes. I had a cortizone shot (which helped for about two weeks) and two rounds of heat therapy which helped until it stopped. Now am back to the same pain. Celebrex helps some and wet heat seems to help. Other than that, I'm out of suggestions. I hope you'll see a doctor soon. What you have seems very similar to my problems.
    Good luck and GOD BLESS
    Lyn
  11. clprez

clprez New Member

About 12 years ago, I tore my rotator cuff. Now I didn't want surgery, so my doctor decided that we should try physical therapy first. It turns out that if you have a painful shoulder (or other joint for that matter), you compensate, and some of the muscles begin to atrophy.

I went to Physical Therapy, but the pain was so bad that I couldn't do the exercises. So my doctor gave me a cortisone shot in the shoulder, and the pain went away. I was able to do physical therapy for six weeks, and then continued the exercises on my own. By the time they cortisone shot wore off, my shoulder was fine.

I ended up wrecking my shoulder with another injury about 6 months later (kayak, and when trying to roll-up I hit a rock that dislocated my shoulder), and I ended up having to have 2 surgeries anyway. I would not have the rotator cuff surgery ever again, because I don't feel like the surgery brought my shoulder anywhere near back to what it used to be like. That's just my opinion, though.

I would also be careful about getting cortisone shots. They can cause problems in your joints if you get too many. I would only ever recommend getting one, if you plan to strengthen the muscle around the joint while you are benefitting from the shot.

Soft Hugs,

Carol
  12. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

I too related all pain to FMS. Had a rotator cuff problem for months. Unable to get my arm to barely move at times, etc and horrid pain. Finally got an MRI. There it was arthritis in that area and some fluids had built up there. So easy to blame it all on FMS. Gets very frustrating knowing what to push and not. I think I have gotten a little better at it with years. After 10 years sometimes I can tell the difference between a long flare in a certain area and an injury...sometimes not.

Lynda B.
  13. Holly_RN

Holly_RN New Member

Thank you everyone for the advice. I did finally go to see the Dr. today....he thinks it is a rotator cuff injury....(I'm still holding out for bursitis, as there's no surgery involved LOL), and go for the MRI Firday. I did get the cortisone shot, so maybe that will help soon. I sure hope so. I don't want anymore surgery.
    Thanks again.
    With friendship,
    ~Holly_RN~