Ouch Rib Pain from coughing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ferdie, Nov 10, 2005.

1. ferdie

ferdie New Member

I have posted a few times here and just wanted to vent a bit. I had a bug come on a few weeks ago, started in my ears and then settled in my chest, coughing alot. Well about a week ago I started having pain in my right lower rib. My friend suggested going to her chiropractor , I went yesterday and the Dr used a thumper type instrument on my rib,she had pressed on the spot where it hurt first and it was so painful and then used this thumper on my rib, last night I was in so much pain my hubby tied a scarf around my ribs that really helped, and I use ice also. The pain is so much worse now. The dr said she didnt think I could cough hard enough to cause a fracture that it was probably a tear in the muscle. It will take time to heal I know, but owsa does it hurt now.... Has anyone had this experience? Thanks for listening.
  2. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

break (or possibly dislocate) ribs from coughing.

In my late teens and into early 20s I was prone to bronchitis, which would usually not end until I had popped a few ribs. The first time it happened I was taken to ER where they did not xray, but treated it as a broken rib...that is, they wrapped me with that elastic stuff. That was an extremely painful and BREATHTAKING experience, and it happened many times after that over the next few years. During each episode it was usually more than one rib.

I don't know if they were actually broken, but I would hear a very loud and sickening POP, accompanied by acute PAIN. The pain would be acute for a few days, then subside. I believe there's nothing more to do than wrap it(those bandages things) and ....wait.

My ribcage has always been SUPER-TIGHT, and still is to this day, but because I've stopped getting sick (!), I never get the kind of coughs that used to be rib-busters anymore.
  3. Mar19

Mar19 New Member

I've dislocated my ribs from coughing. Hurts like the dickens!!

I went to a MD and he just blew it off. I went to my chiropractor and he found the place almost immediately. (I nearly passed out when he poked "THE" place and asked "does it hurt here?")

He had me stand up against the wall with my arms crossed in front of me and he did this sort of hug manuever and I heard the rib pop back in. Almost immediate relief. It still was a tiny bit sore, but nowhere near what it had been seconds before.

Have you been back to the chiro or gone for x-rays?

Mar
  4. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I cracked my ribs from coughing and I was 7 months pregnant. I had to get in the bed and stay there so it would heak before I had the baby. I would treat it like a cracked rib and stay still.

How do those footbal players get wrapped up and go back into the game? This really hurts!!!!

I would go to the regular Dr and get a second opinion. Don't just count on the chiropracter.

Take Care and hope you feel better soon! Lynn
  5. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I also sometimes dislocated ribs when I coughed. My chiropractor would put them back. Haven't had a bad cough in several years now (knock on wood).
  6. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

from bronchitus cracked a couple of my ribs, the dr ordered a very tight fitting brace to wear around my ribs, it really helped with the pain. It took about 3 months before my ribs stopped hurting.