Our 19 y/o Son in Accident

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ksp56, Dec 2, 2006.

1. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I received a call from one of our local hospitals this morning. It was our son. He was in and out of sedation, but I found out he had been in one vehicle accident. His truck hit a wall, airbags deployes, etc.

He was drifing in and out, it was difficult to understand. DH left right away. Kevin had been drinking, which always has worried me. Thank heaven he had a large Chevy truck. Airbags deployed, but, he also did not have his seat belt on. While I thank God he is alive, I give thanks for no other's being involved.

Kevin has massive deep cuts on his face. Eyes swollen shut. Fracture in left knee cap and possible broken ankle. It is swollen, and the x-rays might not have been able to tell. He has over fifty stitches in his face.

My brother, Kevin, died at the age of 19, in 1977 after being in a horrid car accident with his best friend, who had been drinking. Kevin had been drinking also, it could have been him driving that night too.

I've lived with this fear, since my Kevin was born. He recently moved out, was doing well with a new job, and seemed focused for the first time in his life. I know his being drunk, will change so many things for him.

I'm sorry for rambling. I needed to write this in words. A little 'shocky' right now.

I make no excuses for Kevin's poor choice. It still hurts to see him though.

He is staying with us. Kevin is out of it.

Please pray or send him good thoughts..

2. paulmack

paulmack New Member

So sorry to hear about your son's accident,let's hope everything turn's out ok for him.Will say a prayer for him & be thinking of you.He'll probably be needing your support over the next few weeks so I wouldn't judge him too harshly as all youngsters do things they shouldn't.
    Even us olders ones do some stupid things at times.
    Good thoughts to you & your son & all your family,
    Peaceful thoughts,Paul.

3. mezombie

mezombie Member

This must be such a shock for you, and the last thing you need on top of the DD. I hope you take extra special care of yourself during this time.

I will be sending healing thoughts to both you and your son.

4. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Stormskye, Paul and Ouch,

Thank you for your kind words. I have tears in my eyes.. How special you are.

Paul, we will be there for him. Everyone does make stupid mistakes. Myself included... Hmm, that was hard to admit! Grin.

Ouch, thank you for your hugs, I'll take any you have to pass around.

Patti, Happy Birthday! I was going to email you and tell you. I am so blessed having you as my dear friend. I know I am living out your worse fears. Kevin appeared to be on the right track. Hopefully, after this experience, he'll decide to really take heed.

Many Hugs to you all for your caring and compassion..

[This Message was Edited on 12/03/2006]
  5. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you for your caring words. They mean so very much.

I will take care, along with helping Kevin. I have found we are all much stronger than we give ourselves credit for!

Gentle hugs to you,

6. abcanada

abcanada New Member

That's a really tough one to swallow. It may be tough to look at it this way, but I feel we are all presented with challenges in our lives and it is our job to learn from each and every one of them. Some choose not to, but most of us are able to grow and learn important things about ourselves and the people around us(for men I think it's that they're not indistructable!). I pray for you & your family that he does learn from this and grows into a very mature young man. Trust me it won't be long before a beautiful woman comes & wisks him away.
    I'm 32 with 4 small children(3 boys). It's easy for me to look back 10 years and see how I saw the world! As a young woman eager for any challenge to come my way, and heaven forbid any bit of excitement that came with it; I did many things that really seem very unintelligent looking back! I don't think it was until I began having children of my own that I understood what it meant to 'Truely' Love something, especially things that are ultimately a production of the love you share with another person. If we didn't have 'Life's Lessons' to deal with life would be pretty boring. I will be thinking of you in the days to come! Take Care, Laura
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Praying for you. Keep us posted. You must be in dreadful shock. Take care of yourself. He is young and more resilient to trauma, but this is very serious. Is he in ICU?

Angels watch over you all. Love Annie C
  8. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Thank you for posting.

While I am MUCH older than you (lol) my thinking is the same as yours. I do hope and pray, this is a learning experience that he will hold on to.

I remember being a teen, and even as a young adult, pushing the envelope. It certainly could have been me..

Love your children and hug them tightly today...

9. ksp56

ksp56 Member

Kevin is with us, at our home. Why he was released from the hospital, I don't understand. I am thankful he is alive, and that no one else was involved.

His face may need some reconstructive surgery, his knee might need surgery. It's in a air cast. He is banged up, swollen and bruised, everywhere.

They did tell us, he's lucky to be alive. I'm assuming he was not wearing a saftey belt. The air bags imploded, and his head went over the top of it, to break the windshield.

I so appreicate your thoughts and concerns...

Hugs to you, Annie,

10. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Very sorry to hear about your son's accident. Sounds like his condition is stable, though? How odd that your brother died in a car accident at age 19.

I will pray for your son today.
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

May God Bless you and your son! I'm also saying a prayer for you and your son and Family,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hugs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  12. elliespad

elliespad Member

So sorry to hear of your sons' accident. Thank GOD, he is stable and recovering. Will remember him in prayers.
  13. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

Kim, I'm so sorry to hear of Kevin's accident. Thank God, he's alive and will recover. My heart goes out to you and your family during this stressful time.

God bless, Anne Theresa
  14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

to hear the bad news. I hope his recovery is speedy and uneventfull.
  15. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Oh Kim - I am so sorry. Will be praying for you to have strength and Kevin to have a quick recovery. So sorry this happened, but maybe since it did it will be a positive life changing experience.

My heart goes out to you and prayers sent your way.
  16. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

around an old oak tree. he was drunk we heard the crash it was about a mile away from our house. i rode my bike up there cause my mom asked me to go see if it was my dad. it was.

i don't recall if he had a seat belt on. i want to say no. no air bags in those days. he broke his ankle. and a few minor concusions. dr's said he lived because he was drunk. they are more limber. so he has had a few ankle surgeries after that.

and you know waht that still wasn't enough to make him stop drinking. he has bleeding ulcers from his drinking.

he stopped finally after many attempts he had to go into a rehab for three weeks. well i hope kevin isn't an alcoholic.

maybe this time he will call for a cab or think about it next time.

and i am w/you. why in the heck did they send him home!

seems insane, but those hospitals and insurance companies will cut as many corners as they can.

good luck w/kevin.

17. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

It is a mother's worst fear, and yours is double fold because you have lived it once before. I will be praying that this will be a lesson learned for your son. We all have to learn our lessons the hard way it seems and maybe this will be his wake up call.

Whenever I see those little studies they do about the most stressful jobs in the world I always think they are leaving the most stressful one there is off the studies. Being a parent!

Take care and my heart goes out to you and your family!
    Blessed Be and Warm Kitten Hugs,
  18. carebelle

carebelle New Member

wake him up so he doesn't drink and drive heaven help you.

I have seen to many families go threw so much grief from people being killed from drunk drivers. My children years ago knew some of the kids who were killed in Ky on a school bus by a drunk driver going the wrong way on the expressway. It was in the national news .many of those kids died and others that suvived live with burned bodies .

We had just moved to Germany when that happen in Ky. only threw the Grace of God my children could have been on that bus.

I will pray for your son to realize what he could have done and for you to have the strength to make him see what this does to peoples life's.
    My children have lost friends because of drunk drivers. Its a sad sad thing for all involved.
  19. kriket

kriket New Member

I hope that your son is ok. Sometimes things like this happen before they wake up. Thank God he is alive. There is hope. I know it must be hard for you and yor husband to have to look at him while he is in so much pain.

Keep us posted on his condition. We are all here for you.

20. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

about your son, Kim! Thank goodness he wasn't hurt worse and didn't involve anyone else. I'm also so sorry you lost your brother, Kevin. I hope your son can get some help so he no longer drinks and drives.

I will keep you and your son in my prayers.