Our beloved dog crossed the Rainbow Bridge today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mysticbrit, Mar 22, 2010.

1. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

Today we sent our dog Tucker to Heaven. His health had been failing and he no longer wanted to eat and was in a great deal of pain. We took him in to the vet today to have him checked over, hoping for some type of miracle. I guess there weren't any miracles available today.

We held him while he left for heaven.

Neither of us has stopped crying yet and it's not going to happen any time soon I'm guessing.

When we adopted him from the American Eskimo rescue I promised him a forever home. His family had given him up when they adopted a puppy. He was 10 at the time.

Today, at 15 years old, he left us behind for the next chapter of his pain-free life. I FIRMLY believe we'll see him again.

We loved him and he loved us back. What more could anyone ask for???

His picture is in my profile.

LEFTYGG Member

love animals and cant believe people get rid of 10yo pet. you were wonderful to give him 5 great years. sad for your loss.
  3. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I also became teary eyed when I read your post. I could feel your pain (my husband and I had to make the same decision 2 years ago); but more importantly, I could feel the love that you have for your Tucker.

What a painful decision that is to make, even if you know your pet is suffering. Our 3rd cat died last May, of "natural" causes (she was 19 yrs old). I still cry about her at times.

I'm sure there are alot of folks here who have gone through a similar thing and will wish you well.
  4. sisland

sisland New Member

Nancy i'm so sorry to hear about Tucker!,,,,left you a post over on the winter chat thread!,,,S
  5. lynncats

lynncats New Member

Just remember, like your words say "he crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. Never fun, but they wouldn't change anything in the world for us humans.

Take Care, Cry, and Remember,

6. victoria

victoria New Member

so sorry, it's so hard to lose our buddies, I know the pain all too well.

I don't know if you've ever read this story about the 'after life', but I like to believe it's true:

I too cannot understand how anyone could give up a dog after 10 years. The actions speak volumes about the original owners. Some have wondered, why did God do such a awesome job on dogs and such a mediocre job on humans.... I wonder too.

My thoughts are with you...

7. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear that Tucker is gone. Somebody said the pain we suffer when
    our pets die is the price we pay for the love they gave us.

Our Chester died almost 3 years ago. The condolences from people on the board
    were amazingly comforting to me. It was the first time I ever experienced such
    support from a group.

We had a black cocker named Tucker when I was a kid. My father said her full name was
    Sophie Tucker, the last of the red hot mamas. For you youngsters who don't
    know, Sophie was a big star in vaudeville. When I was a kid she was a fat, old
    lady, but she still appeared now and then on TV. Carried a big handkerchief (like
    Pavarotti) and sang songs from the 20s.

I found a site for the Rainbow Bridge that gave the name of the author. Of course
    I don't remember, but I'm sure his essay has been a great comfort to many of us.

Yes, Tucker was a beautiful dog. the picture in your profile is wonderful.

8. GreenOnions

GreenOnions New Member

I looked in your profile, and he was a handsome fellow. He was lucky to have found a home with people who loved him to the end. I have no doubt that he's waiting for you on the other side of the bridge, playing with the other pets who are waiting for their humans to show up. In the meantime, he's pain free, and happy.

I have tears in my eyes as I write this. I'm allergic, so I've never had a dog, but I've had a lot of kitties, and several have passed over the bridge. I'm sure that they're all taking turns leading him on merry chases, making him feel welcome.

You, your family, and Tucker are in my prayers.
  9. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

I couldn't read your messages yesterday, still crying too hard. Today I came here and saw all your love and understanding of our pain and it brightened my heart.

Tucker was a loyal companion to us and I know he's waiting for us to cross that bridge one day. Sadly, there are many of my beloved pets there already, I'm enjoying the picture of them all meeting Tucker and welcoming him into a world without pain.

We adopted Tuck when I was forced to quit working because of my health. I requested a 'senior' dog, because I knew I wouldn't have the energy for a youngster. We didn't care about the breed. When his picture popped up on my screen I knew he was meant to live with us.

I drove 100 miles to pick him up from his foster home. He looked so sad when she handed over the leash. All the way home I talked to him, and promised him that we'd soon be in his forever home, where we would always love him. Before we had driven 50 miles I suddenly felt him nuzzle my hand, then lick it. He looked up with those beautiful brown eyes and we fell in love.

It took some time before he stopped ducking whenever one of us reached toward him. That told me he had been abused in his original home. It was a wonderful day when I reached out to pet him and he raised his head, welcoming my touch.

Again, bless you all for helping me thru this sad time. I knew this board was the right place to share my pain. You're all wonderful people.

Victoria, I checked the website you sent. I'd read that years ago but it was particularly moving today. I saved it so I can go back and read it again.

Many, many thanks.

[This Message was Edited on 03/24/2010]
  10. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

All the faiths/religions I'm aware of believe in a form of Heaven.
    One constant is that in Heaven, we get to have the things that make us happy.

Some religions claim animals don't have souls, hence they can't go to Heaven.
    I disagree. However, it's an irrelevent argument anyway!

Of course, our beloved & loving fur-friends will be there, simply because we WANT them with us!!!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it's only a small consolation that your seperation is only temporary...

11. pumkinhead

pumkinhead New Member

So sorry for your loss. Our beloved pets give us comfort. You were so kind to take him in and
    showered with love. That is a wonderful gift. I too believe you will see your baby again.

Love & Light
  12. kjade

kjade New Member

I am so, so sorry to hear of your loss. I know how hard it is. We lost our dog last year, and it is just the hardest thing to go through. I know. I have a beautiful poem somewhere that I found when we had to put our first dog to sleep - it was very comforting to me. I am going to try to find it and post it for you. I hope it can bring you some comfort.
    Again, I am so sorry.
  13. springwater

springwater Active Member

i can tell he was beloved by you all, what a blessing!

I teared up reading because ive been thru it myself, holding a pet while they passed on.
    I know the grief is fresh. Sending you thoughts of comfort.

Your Tucker looks so much like my Poopsie although she is a Japanese Spitz, they both
    have the pointed face, bright eyes, and white fur.

God Bless
  14. ckball

ckball New Member

I haven't been on here for a few days and just read this. I am so sorry for your loss and yes you will see him again. Just know he is no longer sick or in pain. I do understand how you feel.

I still miss my Missy, I want to share this with you, I wrote about this on the porch the last time I was there but not sure if you read it.

When I moved into my new home I spent the first night sleeping in the living room on a hidabed, the next day I got my bed and slept in my bedroom, which happens to be in the exact location of my old bedroom, where they found my precious Missy under my bed.

Twy had been acting out, running away and just barking all night and would not come in for me. So I went to bed at 1 am without her. About 3:30 I woke up and felt a presence beside my bed. I opened my eyes and saw Missy's spirit sitting there, it lasted only a minute or so an she was gone. I haven't seen or felt her since but I know it wasn't a dream

I feel she was waiting for me to come back before she went to Rainbow Bridge, Twy came in shortly after that and has been a good girl since. I think she knew Missy was around but didn't know how to find her, so she just barked and barked for hours that night.

Just take comfort in knowing you gave Tucker the best life you could, he is now there watching over you and you will see him again one day. My heart goes out to you and sending you a big hug and more tissues- Love -Carla
  15. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

It's strange how grief can change your whole outlook in such a short time. We're not crying as much, now it's like a dull ache in our hearts. Going somewhere then coming home and not seeing that face in the bay window waiting for us is like a knife in our core.

I so appreciate all of you for helping us thru this sad time. Pip, my husband found your message particularly comforting. He didn't grow up with animals (except working farm creatures). Since marrying me 10+ years ago he's gotten a crash course in the difference. He wasn't as sure as I was about our pets moving ahead of us to Heaven. Somehow your post brought it home to him.

Carla - I look forward to catching a glimpse of Tucker, like you did of your beloved Missy. Not sure it will happen for me, I kept repeating over and over to him that I loved him and I needed him to cross the bridge right away. I know you didn't get that opportunity and my heart lightened knowing that Missy waited for you to come 'home' so she could say goodbye.

Each and every one of you has helped us thru the process of our loss. I can't thank you enough.

16. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

Last summer our 19 year old cat, Mosey, died. I knew she had been sick and recognized the symptoms of impending death. I'm a hospice nurse and was surprised (althought I don't know why) to see some of the same symptoms that I have seen in my patients very near the time of death. The most obvious symptom was that her breathing changed. I know that seems like a "duh" thing, but I was surprised nonetheless.

She didn't seem to be in pain or I most certainly would have taken her to the vet. When we woke up the next morning, she was gone. Somehow I knew, even before I got out of bed. But it still knocked the wind out of me.

Anyway, the reason for me blathering on about this is to tell you this: in the months before she died, she used to sleep at the top of my pillow and put her paws on my head. After she died, we only waited 3 days to get another kitten. Very soon after he got used to his surrounding, he began sleeping on the top of my pillow. He either rests his head on my head, or puts one or both paws on my head.

My husband and I are sure that he is "channeling" Mosey. It gave me - and continues to give me - great comfort.

I'm glad that the severe pain you were feeling is beginning to dwindle a little bit. And, I just wanted to share our story with you.
  17. JimB51

JimB51 Member

What a beautiful dog. Similar to my Samoyed that I had to put down at 6 years.(incurable disease). Raised her from 7 weeks old. Grieved terribly. I DO believe we'll see our beloved pets in Heaven.
    So very sorry. It WILL get better for you, but I know it's so very hard for you right now.
    Am praying for your comfort right now. Jim
  18. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Tucker was a lucky dog to have you in his life and he was a cutie.

I understand the loss of our fur kids too. When I read your post I gave my Tipster a big hug and told him how much mom loved him. Like a typical boy, he wasn't very interested in a hug as he wanted to go outside.

I'm sorry for your loss and hope the pain is getting at least a little better.

Many hugs and prayers are sent your way.
  19. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

So many of us here have gone thru this same pain. It helps us to know that he's no longer hurting but gosh I wish we still had him with us.

I know I can't raise another dog but we are starting to consider fostering. There are so many homeless pets now it would be a way of sharing our love and helping other dogs find their 'forever' homes.

We're leaving this week for vacation. We had arranged a great home for him with a lady who also raises rescued Eskimos. When I called to tell her what happened she cried as hard as I had. We had even taken him for a visit and he seemed to really enjoy her dogs. It made the thought of leaving him for a week much easier. We certainly hadn't expected him to be the one to leave us first.

Again, your love and kindness has been such a blessing to us. We can't thank you enough.

20. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hope you and Larry are feeling a little better.

How does the foster home program work? I think it would probably be wonderful
    for both you and the dogs.