Our cat Tigger

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by paulmack, Dec 7, 2006.

1. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Our family cat Tigger has had a closed eye for the past 4/5 days with some discharge coming out also.We took him to the vet's tonight & were expecting the vet to tell us it was an eye infection & to take eyedrops or antibiotics to clear it up.
    We were shocked to be told Tigger needs an urgent eye operation as it has developed an abcess in it's left eye.The vet thinks it may have scratched it's eye lens on a branch or something & that has caused an abcess to form.If we had left it for another few days the vet thinks it may have lost an eye.
    It would be great if you could keep him in your thoughts over the next day or so as he's been kept in overnight & operated on in the morning.
    Kind regards,Paul.
    PS check my profile for a pic of Tigger.
  2. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

Paul your family and Tigger will be in our thoughts. I hope everything comes out okay. You all must be so worried. Keep up good thoughts and stay positive everything will be okay.

We have a Tigger too and I don't know what my youngest would do without him. He is about 20lbs and sleeps with him at night and follows him when he is home.

Take care and Kitten Hugs,
    Blessed Be,
  3. mezombie

mezombie Member

Oh, that poor furbaby!

I know what it's like to have to have your's spend the night at the vet's and be operated on.

You and your kitty will definitely be in my thoughts.
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

Of course I will pray for his safety during surgery and a speedy recovery.
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

is better soon. He's lucky to have good owners who take care of him

My younger brother was nicknames Tigger. We don't call him that anymore. Now it's Tiger.
  6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Hi lindyl39,iowamorningglory,mezombie,elliespad,fight4acure,rockgor.
    Thanks very much to you all for your kind thoughts & prayers,i'm really touched.You sometimes take your pets for granted but when something like this happens it brings it home to you that they really are part of the family.
    Once again,i'm really grateful for your kind words of support.

PS It's 9.30am over here & Tigger goes through his op sometime this morning so i'll post tonight to let you know how he get's on.
  7. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Hope Tigger is up and about soon. I'm so glad you didn't wait too long.

I was reading a letter to the editor in our local paper, and this lady was telling us how cats hide their illnesses...her kitty, only five years old, had an advanced-stage tumor that she didn't even know about...and she's disabled and home with her kitties 99% of the time...very attentive, etc.

She sais that is cats change their behavior even a little to be wary. It was a wake-up call for me as I have a cat, five years old, and really didn't think much about him ever being sick...

Just glad that you caught Tigger soon enough. Interesting I should just read that letter and then come here and read about your kitty.

Anyway, best wishes for a full recovery!

Love those furbabies!

8. paulmack

paulmack New Member

We're just back from the vet's about an hour ago with Tigger & I'm glad to say the operation went well & the vet said his eyesight should get back to normal in his left eye.
    Feel really sorry for Tigger though,we let him out his travel cage & he was quite disorientated & tried to run out the house.The vet had given him a painkilling injection & he still seems a bit groggy.We've got eyedrops,painkillers & antibiotics to give him for a week until we go back to the vet's next Thursday.
    His eye has to stay stitched for the next 5 weeks & he's also wearing one of those ridiculous looking collars that looks like a lampshade to prevent him from scratching his eye.
    I'm just glad he's out though & i'm sure he recover in no time,as the vet said that he's done many of these operations before with good outcomes normally.
    Once again,I would like to sincerely thank you for your kind thoughts & good wishes,

PS Sue,thanks for your kind words.I know what you mean,cats are so independent.We just let Tigger get on with it without looking at him too closely,I mean,during the past week Tigger was still eating & going out as usual,the only obvious sign was the closed eye which we initially thought was just a just a minor eye infection.It just goes to show you.
  9. dononagin

dononagin New Member

He looks like mine!! glad he is going to be ok!
  10. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I'll be thinking of him. How wonderful that he has such good owners.

11. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'm glad all went well, Paul. Those collars are a hoot, aren't they? Good luck with the five week time frame.

Just glad Tigger is on the road to recovery. Poor guy...he surely doesn't understand the collar is for his good...bet he's a bit ticked!

Take care,
  12. sisland

sisland New Member

Happy to Hear Your Tigger Boy is going to be ok! Sounds like you are a very attentive pet parent!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,He'll be good as new in a couple days!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sisland
  13. paulmack

paulmack New Member

Thanks dononagin,Marta,Sue,sisland,Linda.

Yeh,seems as though Tigger had not too bad a night,was even purring this morning as he was eating chunks of chicken(with his painkillers hidden in there of course).Cooked chicken seems to be his favourite food,followed closely by tuna fish chunks.He seems to like these much more than the usual pouches of Whiskas or Felix catfood.
    One strange thing though was he drank two small bowls of water during the night,he very rarely drinks water,probably dehydrated with the painkillers of course.
    So i'm glad to say he seems to be doing fine this morning.
    Thanks to all petlovers out there for your kind thoughts,
    Best Wishes,Paul

[This Message was Edited on 12/09/2006]
  14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

sorry to read about your Tigger but so glad he's pulling through okay. Just catching up on the posts and always interested in cats...

He's a real beauty, a very handsome chap.

15. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

I am a companion to a 20 yr old cat named Rollie. I know he's getting old and I worry about his "time" to go. You know he's still healthy and strong, just a little dementia happening.

He was in the bathtub this morning. Guess what he was doing?

Taking a bath, I kid you not. I laughed at him and asked him if he wanted me to turn the water on. He gave me the I dare you look, hopped out of the tub, and went to the kitchen. He keeps cracking me up with these antics of his.

I'm sure Tigger is gonna be fine. Just give him lots of that kitty love. Sees