Our entire world is nuts!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SharonR, Oct 20, 2002.

1. SharonR

SharonR New Member

Gender-bending risk to children
    By Geoffrey Lean Environmental Editor
    20 October 2002
    Minute amounts of ''gender bender'' chemicals found in food and the environment are affecting the behaviour of pre-school children, new research shows.

The Environment minister Michael Meacher said yesterday the research was very disturbing and he would ask his officials to "urgently'' examine its implications tomorrow morning.

The study – carried out by doctors and scientists at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam – is the first in the world to show that normal levels of the chemicals affect humans. It follows a host of studies showing that gender-benders can turn wildlife species, from gulls and alligators to fish and turtles, into hermaphrodites. In the case of the children in the study, the chemicals caused girls to play with guns and pretend to be soldiers, and boys to play with dolls and tea sets and dress up in female clothes.

The research, published in the scientific journal Environmental Health Perspectives, is part of a long-term study into the effects of PCBs and dioxins on children. The researchers measured levels of the chemicals in the blood of 207 mothers in their final month of pregnancy, in umbilical blood at birth, and in breast milk two weeks after birth, to determine exposure in the womb.

They later asked the parents of the children, now aged seven, to record their patterns of play.

The girls exposed to higher levels of PCBs were more likely to engage in masculine play, while similarly exposed boys were more likely to enjoy feminine play. Dioxins produced more feminine play in boys and girls.

The most disturbing aspect of the study is that the mothers were exposed to routine amounts of the chemicals – probably from eating normal food, experts believe. Previous studies have found that the chemicals damage the immune systems, neurological development and intelligence of children.

Nearly one and a half million tons of PCBs have been spread around the world in materials such as paint and plastic. They have been banned in industrialised countries but persist in the environment and in body fat. Dioxins and PCBs both contaminate food at low levels.

Also from the Environment section.
    Scientists baffled by increase in autism
    Row grows over GM food aid for Africa, as 14 million starve
    South Africa defies European pressure to favour GM foods
    Snows of Kilimanjaro immortalised by Hemingway 'will have melted by 2020'
    At last, the definitive guide to keeping an elephant happy

2. SharonR

SharonR New Member

Gender-bending risk to children
    By Geoffrey Lean Environmental Editor
    20 October 2002
    Minute amounts of ''gender bender'' chemicals found in food and the environment are affecting the behaviour of pre-school children, new research shows.

The Environment minister Michael Meacher said yesterday the research was very disturbing and he would ask his officials to "urgently'' examine its implications tomorrow morning.

The study – carried out by doctors and scientists at the Erasmus University in Rotterdam – is the first in the world to show that normal levels of the chemicals affect humans. It follows a host of studies showing that gender-benders can turn wildlife species, from gulls and alligators to fish and turtles, into hermaphrodites. In the case of the children in the study, the chemicals caused girls to play with guns and pretend to be soldiers, and boys to play with dolls and tea sets and dress up in female clothes.

The research, published in the scientific journal Environmental Health Perspectives, is part of a long-term study into the effects of PCBs and dioxins on children. The researchers measured levels of the chemicals in the blood of 207 mothers in their final month of pregnancy, in umbilical blood at birth, and in breast milk two weeks after birth, to determine exposure in the womb.

They later asked the parents of the children, now aged seven, to record their patterns of play.

The girls exposed to higher levels of PCBs were more likely to engage in masculine play, while similarly exposed boys were more likely to enjoy feminine play. Dioxins produced more feminine play in boys and girls.

The most disturbing aspect of the study is that the mothers were exposed to routine amounts of the chemicals – probably from eating normal food, experts believe. Previous studies have found that the chemicals damage the immune systems, neurological development and intelligence of children.

Nearly one and a half million tons of PCBs have been spread around the world in materials such as paint and plastic. They have been banned in industrialised countries but persist in the environment and in body fat. Dioxins and PCBs both contaminate food at low levels.

Also from the Environment section.
    Scientists baffled by increase in autism
    Row grows over GM food aid for Africa, as 14 million starve
    South Africa defies European pressure to favour GM foods
    Snows of Kilimanjaro immortalised by Hemingway 'will have melted by 2020'
    At last, the definitive guide to keeping an elephant happy

3. PAT

PAT New Member

uh...I am speechless
  4. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hey Sharon--in my own quest to figure out some of the causitive factors of FM and CFS in my life, I have been doing some research into Dioxin. I was born and grew up in Midland, Michigan home of the second largest Chemical Conglomerate in the world, Dow Chemical. Mind you when I was a child (this is giving away my age) in the late 50's and 60's.....Chemical Companies self regulated--which pretty much means that did what suited them. Dow Chemical is still the largest dioxin polluter--in the state of Mich., today. They also manufactured Napom, and Agent Orange, ....along with vinyl chlorides, etc.....all very toxic. When I was young...the air was saturated with the odors, and clouds being spewed out of smoke stacks at Dow.
    By the time the 70's rolled around...the waterways, and ground was found to be contaminated. Now I wonder if these chemicals haven't compromised my immune system, and might explain the predicament I find myself in, today. There is no doubt in my mind that for generations to come---we will find out the terrible repercussions through our children and grandchildren.....just how great the cost of our blind rush to manufacture without using care and common sense.
    Thanks for the article! Karen.....(darn it...where did I put my G.I. Joe?) lol.....j/k
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Children, especially young girls, are experiencing premature puberty. Girls as young as six are starting to develop breasts. It is thought that the hormones used in the cattle and dairy industry are to blame. Hormones are also used to produce larger birds in chicken and turkey producing businesses.

Antibiotics used in fowl and cattle feed is entering our bodies via the food chain. The antibiotics we ingest and excrete into the sewers are not destroyed by water treatment facilities and are in our drinking water supply. If this continues, there will be an increase in resistant strains of bacteria. This has alread started.

We are leaving a horrible legacy for our children and grandchildren and all further generations of offspring.

Love, Mikie
  6. PAT

PAT New Member

What are we supposed to do? It is so frightening that unless we grow our own food, we have no control over what goes into our and our kids' bodies. I have heard a lot about girls hitting puberty earlier, but if scientists and docs know why, then why do they still let it happen??? Was it something environmental that maybe caused this DD? Why are there so many different flu strains, and new diseases popping up. I know the antibiotic cause, but still, as paranoid as it sounds, "They" are messing with our food, our water, our environment, and who knows what kinds of problems our grand and great grandchildren will face!!! Patti G