Our Pain Has a Purpose

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by soulight, Mar 7, 2010.

1. soulight

soulight New Member

This is a link to Rest Ministries. They ask that if the article is shared that this link is used. Imagine ! God has a purpose for our pain too.

Quotation –
    All Pain Has Meaning

March 7, 2010 by Rest Ministries

It is easy to feel like every day we are in too much pain to do what we want or need to do is a waste. We loved this quote that reminds us that when God allows the pain into our life, He never wastes it!

β€œOne thing we may be sure of, however: For the believer all pain has meaning; all adversity is profitable. There is no question that adversity is difficult. It usually takes us by surprise and seems to strike where we are most vulnerable. To us it often appears completely senseless and irrational, but to God none of it is either senseless or irrational. He has a purpose in every pain He brings or allows in our lives. We can be sure that in some way He intends it for our profit and His glory.”
    -Jerry Bridges, Navigators

Holly

<a href="http://restministries.com/2010/03/07/quotaton-all-pain-has-meaning/" >Quotaton – All Pain Has Meaning</a>
    [This Message was Edited on 03/07/2010]
  2. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

I've always believed that when negative things happen in life, it is not of God. I believe that God allows things to happen, and God hopes that we will learn from the hardships in life. There are so many different good things that can come from bad. Sounds strange doesn't it? If we allow ourselves to learn something from the hardships, then we come to an understanding for others hardships. We understand, when "we've" been through it. Hopefully we have compassion. Or, we see that we aren't the only ones that have bad things happen to us, in fact, there may be someone suffering more than we are. Life happens..how will we handle it?
    I like the last sentence you have here..."We can be sure that in some way He intends it for our profit and His glory."
    If we've learned from a bad experience, we can profit from it by using what we've learned from it when or if it happens again. Our profit.
    If we've learned from a bad experience, we can serve our Lord in helping others from the knowledge that we have from having had that experience. For His Glory.
    I think I've been a bit redundant here..oh I can go on sometimes.
    It's good to see you Holly, I hope you are feeling ok. Sometimes, just ok is a good thing. :)
    Today, just ok is a good thing for me. I've not had a real great day today. Hoping tomorrow is better. I woke up with a headache..it is better now, finally...at 11:00 at night! I should probably try and go to sleep! Try....
    Love, Cynthia
  3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I am a believer in God, but after all the atrocities and suffering of genocide throughout the world, I find it hard to believe we profited by it and it was in His glory. I think some sayings are made in the name of God, but not truly thought through thoroughly. Especially the saying "God will not give you more than you can bear." Some people die from the burdens they have---illness, stress, hard work, crimes, etc.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/08/2010]
  4. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Makes you think doesn't it? Again, I don't think that God gives the burden to bear. It happens. And yes, some die from it. As you said, not a saying that was really thoroughly thought through.
    Well, now I am going to "try" to put up a picture..see if this brain of mine can remember how to do this. Of my baby chicks...I want to show off the one that I helped out of the shell. :))
    Love to you, Cynthia
  5. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

OH THE CHICKS ARE MAGNIFICANT!!!! I just love them. You're a chick momma!!!
  6. windblade

windblade Active Member

This has been one of the biggest struggles and questions all my life. I think it's an extremely valuable issue that you've brought up.

In my own life I believe that I am meant to heal as best as I can my physical, and emotional wounds; and indeed I work continuously on these areas.

I also believe that Divine Grace works greatly in our sufferings. We can't get rid of them all, this life being as it is.

I think that suffering in itself can cause a person to be more compassionate or more bitter and cruel. So, it's not the suffering in itself that grows us.

It's the receiving in trust of the very life of God himself; as he has promised many times to not only be with us closer in our sufferings, but to transform us through them.

There is a book that I bought 25 years ago, "Abandonment to Divine Providence", by de Caussade that I turn back to again and again.

One of the things that I deeply believe is that God uses all circumstances in our lives to draw us closer to him, to use the Biblical imagery - pruning and purifying, so that we might grow greatly on this earth, by his mercy.

But, I believe he always looks for our responses, our trust, - he never forces himself on us.

Another thought - we are never to say or think that anyone elses sufferings are okay, but we are meant to do all in our power to alleviate those sufferings - using our different gifts and resources.

Holly, this belief that I struggled with for so long - that God works greatly in our sufferings and joys to transform us into his image, has been crucial to my holding on, and not being lost in prolonged sufferings.

I'm so glad that you shared what you found. It runs through all the great Classical Books/teachings down through the centuries.

Love, Judy
  7. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Windblade, well said...
    God never forces himself on us.
    He is always there, He wants us to have faith that He is always there. We need to go to him for comfort.
    TwoCatDoctor, thanks, I love the thought of being a chicken mama. :)
    Love to you all,
    Cynthia
    [This Message was Edited on 03/19/2010]
  8. springwater

springwater Active Member

Loved what you wrote. I know they are words of wisdom borne of your own struggles. And that you have emerged a better, more compassionate person because of them rather than the other way.

Our religions are different but we think the same.

I too believe that our sufferings are so that we can learn. And that there is a goal in the end. That of everlasting peace.

I understand that for those who are bombarded with difficulties of severe nature day in day out seemingly without respite will find it hard to find anythng positive in sufferings.

I pray for them. Fortunately for me i have been the recipient of acts of grace and mercy along with the very heavy burdens i have had to bear. True sometimes i buckle under and doubt but then that is my fragile human nature reacting to adversity. As long as i can keep getting up. As long as i dont lose hope in goodness and the rightness of things.

God Bless

9. windblade

windblade Active Member

I feel a very deep kinship with you spiritually - and value your life of prayer, of caring for the helpless creatures, loving your family, seeking beauty, etc. Your vitality keeps coming through all of your sufferings!

Our hope in goodness and the rightness of things. Yes, that is all-important, and helps us through our days.

I spent decades of being angry with God because of the sufferings in the world. My sufferings, my families, the creatures, on and on. I learned from a very wise teacher when I was in my 20's, that bringing this anger to God was the healthiest thing to do. That way it didn't turn against myself, into depression, as my anger tends to do.

And it didn't spurt out at people. Or I'm sure at least it was lessened.

Were you able to catch what I wrote to you on my post when I came back to the board recently, titled, ( 'Hi Everyone'?)

My husband was the one who gave me that information on the type of Buddhism.

So good to connect with you again, dear Springwater! I feel that we are friends - that I have this most interesting friend in Nepal, who brings the rich reality of that world to me, and to us all.

Love, Judy
  10. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

I so hope my early comments up above didn't come off sounding mean or snappy. If I did, I so apologize. Your original post just opened up questions to me.

With the recent bouts of disaster in Haiti and Chile, then the genocide in various places in Africa, it just suddenly hit me about suffering. I also saw a TV show about the albino natives in a village where witchdoctors from surrounding areas send men in at night to dismember live albino natives as their arms or legs are sold by the witchdoctors. They even do it to albino babies. They threatened a women who was trying to educate against this and she had to leave to protect herself.
  11. soulight

soulight New Member

I didn't take your comments as mean or snappy . I put the quote up as a thought provoking subject. I totally agree that there is a huge amount of senseless chaos and pain in the world and that there is a lot of evil in the world. However , I do not believe that God creates the pain or evil. He hates it as much as we do . it was never His intention for the world to be such a mess.

The world right now is a fallen world in a horrible mess. God hates the way the world is. He loves people. No matter what evil that they are doing. It is hard to accept that . I can't imagine Him loving someone who are like those witchdoctors. However , He loves all sinners. I include myself in the list of sinners .

The stories that I see on the news make me sick. Mothers killing their own kids , ritual killings , your story of the albino natives being dismembered. They all make me physically sick.

So much that happens in this world doesn't make any sense at all. I do believe that God can turn anything into the good. I don't understand it and I don't understand all the horrible things that happen in the world. I am totally not perfect . Not by a long long run. But I believe that God is and He sees so far beyond this fallen world into the eternal future. Maybe someday I will understand.

I welcome conversations about what I said . Different viewpoints broaden my life and make me a better person.

Love to ALL,
    Holly
    [This Message was Edited on 03/18/2010]