Our pediatric gastroenterologist appt

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TNhayley, May 28, 2003.

1. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

Hello all! We had our appt yesterday and I'm posting for those that are interested. :) My thoughts are that this is somehow related to FMS, so thats why I'm posting all this here. I may be wrong, but it is just my instinct.

I think overall the visit went well. The staff was very nice and I like the doc, although she is foreign and I did have a hard time understanding her at times. She is well credentialed and is at our Children's Hospital. She was great with my son, very gentle and kind and motherly and reassuring. She asked a LOT of questions, sometimes twice ... reminding me of some personality tests they give people. ;-) My son did great, especially considering the intimate nature of the physical exam.

Basically, she called his problem a "lazy colon" resulting from him holding his bowels to the point where they have become stretched, resulting in leakage. I suppose this is technically called encopresis (what Lachesis suggested) ... which I was not sure of since he has never seemed to have any problems with constipation, ... but he has always had very large stools.

Her advise is to keep a chart (which she provided), marking both success and soiling ... and rewarding success, but not punishing for accidents. She prescribed MiraLAX, which I will have to check out (she said it is expensive and some ins. co's don't pay for it). She also suggested more fiber and gave me recipes ... including Metamucil recipes. She said NOT to give enemas (whew!).

I told her of my concern of immune problems. She ordered blood tests: CBC with Diff, Pit; Comp met profile; T3 T4 TSH; Celiac Profile; and RASTS: cows, soy, wheat, corn, peanuts, egg.

So, I suppose it went as well as could be expected. I'm awaiting lab results, and will post if there is anything there. Thanks, ya'll ... for your support and kind words. Hugs,
    Hayley
  2. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

got this from my health ins website:

Active Ingredient:
    Polyethylene Glycol Solution (PEG)

Type of Drug:
    Bowel-cleansing drugs

Uses:
    For the treatment of occasional constipation. Do not use for longer than two weeks.

Side Effects:
    Every drug can cause side effects. Many patients experience no, or minor, side effects. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if any of the following occurs:

Stomach discomfort; faintness; rectal burning; stomach cramps.

Precautions:
    Do not use in the following situations:
    kidney disease
    magnesium-restricted megacolon
    sodium-restricted diet
    Children: Safety and effectiveness in children less than 5 years of age have not been established.

Guidelines For Use:
    Take with a glass of water.
    Do not use for more than 1 week unless directed by your doctor.
    Check with a doctor before use if you notice a sudden change in bowel habits that persists for more than 2 weeks.
    Check with your doctor if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breastfeeding.
    Do not use when abdominal pain, nausea, or vomiting are present unless directed to do so by your doctor.
    Notify your doctor immediately if you experience rectal bleeding or a failure to respond to the bowel evacuant.
    Continue to take prescription medications as scheduled, unless advised differently by your doctor.
    Two to four days may be required to produce a bowel movement

3. AnnG

AnnG New Member

You are getting some answers! How old is your son?
  4. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

You said he is 6? Is he in first grade?

I wondered, because I blame the schools for not allowing children to go to the restroom when they need to or making them think they will get in trouble for asking.

My youngest daughter, who is now 16 and will be a senior, still refrains from drinking water all day at school, because the passing periods between classes got shorter and shorter with each grade. They are now only five minutes. Trying to get a pass to the restroom is near impossible, unless you first vomit on the teacher's desk.

Consequently, she is very dehydrated, tired and has a headache, when she comes home from school and this is only by 1:30 PM.

Please - Keep us posted,
    Lane

5. sofy

sofy New Member

for posting. I was concerned when reading about the trauma you son is experiencing and so glad to hear there are nor major health concerns. It sounds like this too shall pass.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks so much for the update. I was wondering how it went. This is such a difficult problem for both of you. I'm sure it isn't easy for your son going through all this. I keep you in my prayers.

I used to never want to use the bathrooms at school I think this is a common problem with kids. I would hold everything if I could til I got home.

Love, Mikie
  7. goingslowlycrazy

goingslowlycrazy New Member

She sounds like a nice doc and I'm glad she took your fms concerns seriously.

I am so happy that you are finally getting some help and I really hope that this solves your son's problem.

Thanks so much for letting us know how it went, keep us posted on your progress...

warm hugs
    Mary x
  8. TNhayley

TNhayley New Member

Anng, Zach is 7 ... will be 8 in August when he starts 3rd grade.

Annette, you are right about the time constraints in schools! I had our family doc write a note that Zach was to be allowed bathroom access at any time, but I think by that time, his problem had progressed to the point where he was just too embarrased. I guess it's hard for teachers to know if the kids really need to go or just want to goof off. Zach definitely had concentration problems, fidgety and talkative ... so I know he taxed her patience on a regular basis. (In his favor, he's a sweet little charmer, and smart.) The one good thing his teacher did do was have all students bring in a water bottle to keep with them at their desks, which she sent home to be washed every Friday. Great idea ... wonder if your daughter could do that?

Thanks everyone!!
    Hayley