Our pets

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GBHope, Jan 4, 2006.

1. GBHope

GBHope New Member

How many of us have pets? I'm sure quite a few. How do those of you who have allergies to pets to some extent keep from being bothered if it is so hard to keep up with the animal hair? I love my two dogs and cat, but the smell and the hair really bother me. They stink 2 seconds after someone washes them and the smell really dusty and musty. I have to wash my hands as soon as I handle my animals or my nose gets plugged.

GBHope
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

dogs and cats. My dogs smelled and my cats didn't/don't. I'm not allergic to them so that's a plus. Only have one cat now, a big fat boy whom I love, and I don't think I'd ever have another dog...too much work, dependence.

Hope someone has a tip for you. Pets are so wonderful to have, aren't they?

(-:
    Sue
  3. maggiemae55

maggiemae55 New Member

1 golden retreiver female, 1 brittany spaniel male, 3 female cats, 1 is a long hair. I just try to brush them alot, as soon as I pull out the comb, the cats come running. My golden loves it, I adopted the britanny and he wasn't brushed much, but he's getting used to it. The hardest thing for me is clipping their nails.

I am allerigc to cats, so is 1 son, but that doesn't seem to be a big deal. I do wish I could keep the carpet cleaner tho, that makes me sneeze more than holding a cat.

Warmly,
    Maggie
  4. cats3

cats3 New Member

I have 1 dog (Shiba Inu) and 3 cats (house cats).
    I am allergic to dogs, cats, horses, rabbits and the list goes on.
    I take allergy shots once to twice a week. This helps me.
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

but I saw a brush the other night that was supposed to help with pet hair allergies. I think it was ionized like the airpurifier - but I don't know if that would help, they claim it does.

We have labs - love dogs. We have puppies due on Saturday - woo hoo! I can hardly wait!

Kelly
  6. GBHope

GBHope New Member

I too vacuum a lot when I'm able, but my son and myself are the only ones that do it. I have a German Shepard and a beagle/collie and both get really stinky. My German Shepard loves to go and roll in the front yard and so does the other dog. Like I said, they get stinky so fast. It's just a lot of work. I don't know when my animals pass if I will get another, but I do love my animals. I too wash their blankets very frequently because they just start stinking so bad.

GBHope
  7. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I have an outside choco lab. He comes in to play but stays in the garage with its really cold here. I have a new baby that was just added to our family around Christmas time. She's a teeny tiny shih tzu. (picture of her on my profile)
    I try to vacuum often as I can to get the pet hair but someone that don't have pets inside can still smell them. I clean my carpet areas where she stays with my steamer cleaner.
    Angela
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

She will usually sleep on the carpet, but sometimes on the recliners. She is 11 & 1/2 years old and I have never noticed any odors from her.

We have a litter box up here and then one downstairs in the utility room so don't have to worry if she can't make it, she has enough of them. lol

I do have minor allergies so one or two cats would be a good number for me. Our cat, Biscuit, likes to be an only cat. I kind of wish we could get another one, but hubby says "no."

Hugs,
    Faye

9. suzetal

suzetal New Member

We have 4 mini schnauzers.

One cat.

Two cokatiels.

Two canaries.

6 zebra finches. With a clutch of 3 eggs.Will have more. :)

Sue
  10. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

I'm in Poodle heaven here.........

she's five yrs old and spoiled rotten!!!! Poodles are great the don't shed or smell and are so easty to keep clean, great for people with alergies. I take mine to the dog groomers every 3 months or so. When she goes out I put on her boots and coat, and she hates cold wheather, getting dirty in winter is not a factor. They are also very demanding attention wise....so be prepared to cuddle alot! LOL

Poodles are more lap dogs and enjoy more of a pampered life. I take her everywhere I go, in a travel doggie purse. She's my best friend and constant companion.

The only thing with poodles, they are very protective of their masters and will nip and growl, very leary of strangers and are not very good with small children.

Sandy
  11. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

We have two pigeons that we rescued as tiny babies and hand raised -- they are too tame to release, so we have lifelong pets. They are amazing creatures -- smart and lovely and they make wonderful noises.

No allergies to birds, thankfully -- only allergic to cats, to the best of my knowledge. We do have to keep up with the vacuuming a lot, birds are mess makers! (feathers everywhere when they molt, seeds everywhere all the time.)

If we had space, I'd love to have more birds.
  12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I have an 8 year old black lab, Aster, and a 2 year old golden retriever, Rey (his pic is in my profile). With one black and one gold there is nothing I can wear that doesn't have dog hair on it, but that's ok cuz I love them like my kids.

When we moved into our house it was carpeted through out, I mean kitchen, bathrooms, everywhere! Vacuuming is too hard!

To decrease the vacuuming my husband put in laminate flooring in both baths and the dining room, kitchen, and laundry room. Now I just Swiffer every day or so and that's it! I'm sure there was a lot more hair left behind when there was carpet.

Now if I can just get him to do the bedrooms and living room!

Hugzz
    Greenbean
  13. unbalanced

unbalanced New Member

I no longer have dogs because of the upkeep they require & the active lives they all need. I groomed pets at one time, & the dogs that came in stunk!! They get into so much stuff & are so active they smell. I always brought my dogs in for grooming 1x a month, the cost varies, so check around. The groomer will be able to tell you whats on the market now that will help with odor in between grooming. I strongly suggest finding a groomer & always use the same groomer, animals like familiar places & grooming goes so much smoother if they know where they are & the person who is caring for them.This will definately help the odor, if not eliminate it! Don't forget to ask what you can use thatis safe for in between, you never know what mans best friend will get into!!
  14. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i have three dogs plus any strays and im allergic to fluffy hair,like my shih tzu,cats and rabbit fur.

i dont care though i use flixonase which works to stop the vessels from over reacting so helps stop the runny eyes and sneezing.
  15. GBHope

GBHope New Member

sound adorable. It's amazing the things we do for our furry friends, but they love us unconditionally. I love my German Shepard and my beagle/collie. They are really good dogs and get along well together. Even the cat loves them and they her.

GBHope
  16. BethM

BethM New Member

We have two wonderful dogs, both rescued mutts. One is a white lab mix who lives to shed his fur, and the other is a schnauzer/poodle/(and we think) basset hound mix. They are wonderful fur kids.

Your dogs shouldn't stink, especially if they are bathed regularly. You might want to examine their diet, as something in it may be causing their odor. Highly processed, inexpensive dog food usually contains less than desireable ingredients that are not very digestible or very healthy for the animal to eat. A good source for info on dog foods is whole-dog-journal, with the usual ending for online.

For dogs and people, you really are what you eat!

My 2.5 cents!

Peace,
    Beth.

17. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

hiya
    yes you can get hairless dogs.

the chinese crested are nearly hairless except for a little on the head but you can get hairy chinese crested and the fur is like silk.

the AUSTRAILAN HAIRLESS is the only dog completly bald and the only dog for you if you are allergic to the dander as he has a special oil secreted on his skin which traps it all from escaping.
  18. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

there are other reasons for stinky dogs.
    for example my shih tzu has blocked tear ducts and so her tears run straight down her face. i wash her every day but her eyes will run before her fur is dry and so the smell never goes.

the same can be said for humans. kust because you smell after a scrub in your bath doesnt mean your dirty or your diets poor.

im sorry i didnt see who had the smelly dog problem. if you have made an effort to find the source or cause and still no joy then do see what your vet has to say on the matter. you never know it nay be something you wont think of straight away like blocked tear ducts xx
  19. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

afemale yellow lab named Anya and a female chocolate lab named Bessie Lou. As Baileys-mom mentioned earlier there is an ionic dog brush that keeps dogs smelling clean. We bought one and really like it. Got it a Walmarts. Our dogs smell pretty good after we use it, but we have to use it everyday or that "heavy" odor comes back.

Baileys-mom I'm with you--there's nothing like a loyal and gentle lab. Enjoy your new puppies when they get here!!

Sue
  20. bigdogrescue

bigdogrescue New Member

I do rescue and foster with a local rescue. It's really me and another girl but we've managed to adopt out over 100 dogs in a year. We don't do strays much but we pull from shelters when something has run out of time.

I have my own German Shepherd who has a "plush" coat. Unbelieveable shedding! I brush her when I can but its too much for me to bathe her now. I have a wonderful groomer who does a "shedless" treatment on her that rocks. NO SHEDDING for like a month after.

I also have a Rottweiler, a Benji-looking terrier and a small black and white who-knows-what. Those are my current fosters.

There is waterless shampoo (a powder) for dogs or cats if you have allergies. I've never used it but I have friends who swear by it. And those wipes they sell do work but I found you have to wet them in the sink first or they dry out too fast. Honestly? You could buy some cheap washcloths and accomplish the same thing.

There's been some good advice shared here. I agree that food is a HUGE part of the problem. Most of the dogs that we take in smell like death on a cracker for about 2 months because of what they've been eating. We feed them Nutro and it really does make a difference. Vacuuming is a must. I contain my foster dogs to one room in the house that has a door to the outside.

There are also things you can add to their food to help with shedding and smell. I would agree that a trip to the vet and lots of questions are the best place to start. Good luck!