Our trip on the Polar Express

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by boltchik, Nov 14, 2007.

1. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Hi everyone,

My family and I just got back from a mini vacation to the Grand Canyon (Wow, sooo amazing!) and a trip on the Polar Express to the "North Pole". If you have little ones, I highly recommend this, it was truly a night to remember.

We boarded the Polar Express at 6:30 pm, so it was dark. It is an older train that is very similar to the one in the movie. With old fashioned velvet seats and pull down shades, decorated with Christmas lights inside. My kid's were dressed in festive red pajamas and slippers. Santa's helpers greet you as you get on and the conductor goes around and says hello to everyone and asks if they are having a good time.

Next, they serve hot cocoa and super soft, chewy chocolate chip cookies. They have a book with Christmas carols and everyone sings. Then, they tell the story of the "Polar Express". The waiter goes up and down the aisle and shows the pictures in the book to all of the children as we make our way to the North Pole. We tell the kids that the ride is not too long because the Polar Express is a magic train that can get to the North Pole in a short time, just like Santa is able to visit everyone's house in one night. :)

When the story ends, the conductor announces that we are nearing the North Pole. My kids are standing in the aisle with their eyes wide. When we come around the bend, there it is, beautiful Christmas lights everywhere, reindeer, and Santa w/ his elf standing outside waving to everyone. The look of sheer joy and happiness on my kid's faces was priceless, I took it all in so I would remember every moment.

Santa came aboard and gave all of the children big, silver bells and the train was filled w/jingles. He talked to every child and then went to the next train car. We sang carols the rest of the way back to the station, the waiter even danced down the aisle. There were some good-spirited teenagers aboard also, who entertained by dancing down the aisles. My kids sang loudly to every carol and did hand motions and had the look of innocence, joy and contentment all at once. My husband and I did too. It was magical and I will never forget it. So, I wanted to share this happy Christmas story with all of you. Kim :)
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2007]
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

the sounds amazing, what a great trip for your kids, brilliant experience for you all.

Hope you took lots of photos, I do miss have kiddies in my life now that mine are grown. Maybe you could share a photo with us.

Thanks for telling us all about it. Love your photos with sister and Dad, two beautiful women and a handsome man.....your birthday is two days before mine.

3. fivesue

fivesue New Member

How Wonderful!

I love the story and I love that the Grand Canyon RR has done something so neat. What a perfect evening for you and your family. It will be something your children remember forever. "Remember the time we took the train...."

So happy for you all. Thanks for sharing this family adventure with us.

Do you hear the bell?
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Was the train ride near the Grand Canyon? Sounds like a wonderful trip. I'm sure the kids will have a happy memory all their lives. And so will you.

I was at the Grand Canyon about 35 years ago. My son was just a baby. Wonder if they've improved the place since then.

5. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Rosie-Thank you for the compliment on my profile pic, you are so kind. :) My sister and I are very close and I am so lucky to have her live only 5 minutes away. My Dad only lives 2 hrs. away, so that's great also. We have a bunch of great photos from the trip, so I will have to have my husband help me post a new one. Do your kids still live close by? Have a fantastic evening! Kim :)

Sue-My son asked me the same question when we were on the train. I told him, Yes! I do hear the bell! Glad you enjoyed the story. Hope you are having a good day. Kim :)

Rock-We actually stayed in a very small town about an hour from the Grand Canyon. So, we took a day trip to the Canyon, we drove there in a rental car. Then we got aboard a shuttle that runs all day. They drop you off at different points to explore, and then a new shuttle comes by every 15 minutes or so, so you can stay as long as you would like at each point. It was breathtaking! As soon as my son saw it, he exclaimed, Wow!! That brought a smile to my face. So, the Polar Express trip was a separate trip later that evening. What did you do when you went to the Canyon, did you stay for long? Kim :)
  6. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Yes, the Polar Express does sell out each year they told me. I booked about 3 months ago and I could only get in for November, during the week. All of the weekends were taken and every day in December was sold out. So, I am lucky I got in this year.

We did stay in Williams, the hotel was just okay. But, they did have a ton of Christmas lights all over the place outside and the front lobby had a huge Christmas tree w/decorations, so that made up for it. :) Where does the Verde Canyon Railroad go? Do you have to book it far in advance or can you wait for a while? Kim :)
  7. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

What an incredible adventure you went on and I imagine the memory of that will stay with your kids forever.

Nancy B
  8. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Thanks for the post. I do think it will be one of those times that the whole family remembers very fondly. It was really wonderful.

It must be very early morning over there in Germany. Aren't you about 9 hrs. ahead of us? I hope you are having a good morning. Kim :)
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm 6 hours ahead of East Coast time here in Germany.

Nancy B
  10. ckball

ckball New Member

You lucky girl. I saw the canyon in 2001, wanted to go back before I ever left,lol.

Which state were you in on side of the canyon. I was in AZ and Black Angel Lodge was one of our stop overs.

I was in Vegas playing in a pool tournament and got knocked out so I had a whole day to kill. So I booked a day trip, they fly you over in a itty bitty plane, 11 people, pilot and co-pilot.

But is was so cool to fly over it, but when I walked out on that first overlook, I just stood there speechless. I went alone and had a grand time. I regret not going for the chopper ride down in the canyon but hopefully I'll get a second chance,

What a special gift for you family, hope you got lots of pics. Thanks for sharing-Carla
  11. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Yes, the word "speechless" does come to mind when I first saw the Grand Canyon. I was in awe. That is so cool that you got to fly over it in a plane, what a neat experience. Although, I do not know how well I would do in an itty bitty plane, Lol!

We did get a bunch of pics, and I hope to go back again some day too. I would love to do some hiking or something else that they have to offer. We drove in and then took the shuttle to various points that you could not reach by car. That night we caught the Polar Express. So, it was a pretty perfect day, w/lots of great memories. Have a great night. Kim :)
  12. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

you are a great story teller, Kim! I enjoyed reading it- it took me back to the book and its magical feeling. Good writing!
  13. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Thank you, that was such a nice thing to say. :) The trip was just so wonderful, I tried to take in all of the details. I am glad you enjoyed the story. I hope you are having a great day! Kim :)
  14. sisland

sisland New Member

What a Great thing to do for the Kids! That was a marvoulas journey! I just enjoyed it as much as you all did!,,,,,,,,,Thanks for sharing this with us!,,,,,,Hugs!,,,Sis
  15. boltchik

boltchik New Member

Sis-You are very welcome. I have enjoyed sharing this little trip w/everyone and I am so grateful for all of the wonderful responses!

Ovrwhelm-How wonderful that you had that feeling of being a kid again! That was such a neat thing to hear. I also felt like a kid again when I was on the train. Thank you for your kind words.