Out-grow Deadly Allergy?

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by JadedPhoenix, Jan 8, 2012.

1. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix New Member

When I was a child I was given cough medicine with Codeine in it. I had a rather SEVERE reaction to it. How severe? My parents had to perform CPR on me. So that should tell you.

Anyway, when I was pregnant, on my first prenatal visit the Doctor asked me about why I had it marked that I was allergic to Codeine. I explained my allergic reaction as a child and he looked at me and said, "Well, you've most likely out-grown that allergy by now."

I was like, "I don't want to try! Even if you've got a crash cart near-by!"

It's not like I said that I got the hives or something like that. I told him that my heart stopped beating and he brushed it off. So my question is this, "Has anyone here ever OUT-GROWN such a severe allergy?"
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm not sure but I would question any doc who would dismiss such a severe reaction. I had a severe, but not quite as bad as your reaction, problem after taking one Cipro and I will never allow a doc to prescribe a fluorquiniline antibiotic again. Turns out that I am allergic to fluoride and, believe me, I'm not outgrowing it; with each exposure, I am worse.

Codeine is a common problem for many. It makes me sick. When questioned, I say I don't have a true allergy to it but that I won't take it bacause it makes me so sick. You actually have had a true allergic reaction and it should be indicated on your chart. If this doc won't do that, if it were me, I'd be looking for a new, more concernec and competent, doc. Good luck to you.

Love, Mikie