Out of breath when I use my arms

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kdeenak, Apr 11, 2006.

1. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I have FM and for the past couple of months I have noticed when I use my arms to do simple things like putting my hair in a ponytail or even pulling the covers up in bed, gathering hangers in the closet, etc. I get out of breath and really fatigued and have to rest. My arms feel really tired and I think my heart rate goes up a little.

Does this happen to anyone else? Is this another symptom of fibro? I really, really hate it when this happens!!

Deena
    [This Message was Edited on 04/11/2006]
  2. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

I feel like I can't get enough air, no matter how deeply I breathe and my heart rate goes up. I feel totally exhausted and wiped out.

Hmmm.
    Lollie
  3. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

I was having trouble washing my hair in the shower.
    Hands above head, caused breathlessness, and heart palpataion.
    Doctor, said it was panic attack!!
    Yeah, i alway get scared in the shower!LOL

It has slowly lessened over time, i still have slight problems the week before period.
    That's why i feel it's hormone related, that and i think our bodies are soooo tired, it dosen't want to keep up with normal living.
    Taking a shower, fixing hair, or doing laundry,
    is like an aerobic activity for us.
    Take Care,
    and get lots of rest, and plenty of water.
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

i see my heart doc tomorrow as this is what happens to me. It is so scary. I also get heavy in left arm and I feel like I get palps too.

I saw her last week and we were just getting to this, when she was called to ER. I will try and remember to post back tomorrow.

Making the bed, feels like I pulled an elephant over.

Have to fold laundry and that too, leave me this way.

Just out of interest. I have nerve numbness and pain in neck and face etc Do you have neck problems also?

Love Anne C
  5. puggymom

puggymom New Member

I cut my hair shorter and got a lighter weight hair dryer. I dread changing the sheets on the bed, but the pugs sleep there too, so I do change them weekly. I just take it slowly and one step at a time.

I did have neck pain, but was recently put on prednisone for other ailments and my neck is much better. I did have an ortho check it though and the x-rays were clear.
  6. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

No neck problems really. I have what I describe as pinching pains in my latissmus dorsi, upper back, feels nerve related to me. I told the doctor though and he didn't say anything.

I worry if this arm fatigue thing is heart or pulmonary- related.
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I bought a hair-made It's abendable piece of steel(like a mike stand)with a place to put a dryer.I can bend it anyway I want,I love it.Linda
  8. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

Hi Deena,

I've had this same problem for years now. I asked my doctor about it....and he didn't seem to be impressed by it!
    I then saw my cardio and he told me there is a simple test that your doctor can do right in the office.

He takes your pulse while your arm is at rest and then while he lifts your arm slowly in the air above your head. Your heart rate should go up and your pulse should be less detectable. That's because your artery is being pinched by your rotater cuff.

So any time you raise your arms above your head you block the blood flow. Your arms get tired, numb, cold and soar, your heart starts to pound and beat faster or my skip beats, ( palps).

It freaks me out as well...your not alone. I can't do anything with my arms above my head, like paint or hang cloths on the line, lift things or do anything that requires me to use my arms with some effort. Just drying my hair exhausts me, or working with my arms above my head in the air! It can bring on a crash for me. I have CFIDS/FMS , It seems to be a commom symptom in persons with our condition.

I hope this has been helpful... :)

Sandy
  9. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

I know exactly what you are talking about!!!

My husband has actually had to help me by washing my hair for me!

I don't know what to do about it, it comes and goes with me so I don't know what affects it.

Sorry you are having to go through this!

((((HUGS))))

kate
  10. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

What did the cardio dr. say it meant if the pulse rate went up or was different when you weren't doing anything other than simply lifting your arms above your head? Is it something to worry about?

Often times I will be freezing in bed, but I just lay there and put it off as long as possible because I get exhausted from pulling the covers up or pulling them to the left when my husband hogs them.

Deena
  11. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member

My cardio did not express any concern......of course I beg to differ....I'm really concerned...it just does not seem right to me!!! I asked him if it was dangerous or if it would pose a problem for ex....heart, circulation.....
    he said no....but check with your doctor if you can just to make sure. I'm seeing another doctor myself, I need another opinon.

Better safe than sorry....but I've been plagued with this problem for years since the begining of my DD....so I'm sure that if it was dangerous, something would of happened by now.

sorry....hope I was of some help? :)

Sandy
  12. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Yes, the past 3 months my FM/CFS symptoms have gotten much worse & fatigue is off the charts.

Today I washed the shower curtains & carried them up 2 flights of stairs to hang them up. Well... I thought I'd pass out trying to hang them up over my head. I stopped 2xs just to catch my breath. Now these are shower curtains, not heavy bags of sugar. I could hardly stand up afterwards I was so exhausted & my arms feel like cement in the veins.

For me, too, making the bed is a real chore. I look forward to warmer weather when there's no blanket or heavy comforter to lift again & again.

I wonder if POTS has anything to do with it.

This is the kind of thing where I know we are are in this together, but I don't like knowing what's happeninng to our boddies but I sure would like to know why it's happening.
  13. Solaris_Starr

Solaris_Starr New Member