Out of Control!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shari1677, Jan 6, 2010.

1. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

My doc prescribed me Norco, a narcotic, about 6-8 months ago. I was pretty good with taking the meds as directed. I noticed as time went on that I was slowly inching up on the pills, but was always able to get a refill at about the same time they ran out.

Then I noticed that my doc wasnt really paying too close attention to when he was giving me prescriptions. He was trusting me TOO much!!

Anyway - my prescription is for 6 pills a day - I think I take 8 to 10 now. Sure, that isnt a TON and I may be a way off from being a street addict, but, I know I am at a dangerous level and it will just get worse.

I see my doctor on Monday 01/18/09. I have no insurance as I cannot afford it, but would like rehab. I was told you just cant stop a narcotic cold turkey due to complications.

How am I supposed to get rehab?
  2. quanked

quanked Member

A medical professional would need to determine whether or not you need to be "rehabed". Somehow, we patients do not get to decide what we have or what we need: )

I cannot comment on your dosing as I don't take any pain meds except the one for arthritis--damned if can recall the name.

I am not aware of how one gets D&A tx without insurance. Now if you committ a crime or something and the court believes it is in the best interest of the community that an individual get some help then maybe there might be funds. LOL! I am not suggesting that you try this method out though.

Keep us posted on how you are doing.
  3. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

I don't think that going from 6 pills to 8-10 would be considered out of control enough for anyone to consider rehab. Why don't you just try weaning yourself down? You're not that far off your actual dosage.
  4. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

What is sounds like to me is that your 6 pills a day is no longer controlling your pain. Very common to sometimes need a dose increase.
    Is the reason you are taking more because it isn't as effective?

If you take your meds for pain (which you do) and enter rehab - then what do you do for pain?

When my short acting meds (Norco) were no longer working well and I needed an increase, my Dr. put me on a longer acting med, with an instant (Norco type) release med for break through pain. What a difference! There are no ups and downs, peaks and valleys in the pain.

Just have a frank discussion with your Dr. It's a TOTALLY normal reaction for your body to become tolerant to a particular dose of medication and sometimes need more in order to get the same amount of relief. It has no reflection on being an addict.