Out of the Fire

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Sep 6, 2005.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello:
    NyroFan here.
    An update: I just got the prescription for Percocet.
    I discarded the beer I had left in the house and thank my lucky stars that all worked out well.

I had to sign a contract in the doctor's office. They had added in that not only was I only to recieve pain medication from him only, but that if I did not attend the AA meeting once a week he would no longer see me as a patient. That really floored me. But I signed.

I have to chart my attendance to AA and have it signed by someone at the meeting to prove I go. I thought this was pretty heavy handed, but then I realized he is really protecting himself: and in a way, me too.

Thank you again for helping me see the way. It looks like I am out of the fire. Except for the DDs. I am already feeling less pain with the Percocet, but it is still there, but bearable: nothing like before.
    NyroFan
  2. heartinheaven

heartinheaven New Member

You will remain in my prayers!

H Michael
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hangininthere and Heartinheavan:
    Thank you. You just gave me a real self-esteem boost.
    Bless you both.
    NyroFan
  4. Denamay

Denamay New Member

I am very proud of you.

It takes a person of great character and courage to admit and take action re. their addictions.

I think you are one brave lady.

Sounds like you have an excellent doctor who wants the best for you.

Take care and best wishes, from Denamay
  5. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i am pleased for you.

good luck sweety.
  6. elsa

elsa New Member

That's perfectly put ..."out of the fire". You did it
    all on your own, we just cheered you on. I'm thrilled for you! Thank you for letting us know.

Elsa
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Wow:
    You all gave me the inspiration to make the changes and it is amazing how fast help came when I did the right things you suggested. I really do feel 'out of the fire' and am more relaxed and less ashamed today.

The doctor's visit was short but he said at the end: 'Thank you for being honest with me'.
    I don't think a doctor ever thanked me for anything. It was usually the other way around.

Well: this has been a group effort. Thank you for your consistent advice and encouragement. You all had a hand in what happened to make things good again for me.
    NyroFan
  8. LEFTYGG

LEFTYGG Member

we all have different problems im so happy you are resolving yours.
  9. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

I'm happy you posted and even though you will have to record all your AA meetings, I'm sure the doctor is doing that to protect himself.

I think you are an amazing woman and my hat is off to you! I'm happy the Percocet is helping the pain. My doc was nice enough to finally give me Lortabs. I had lost 15 pounds, but gained 5 back. Now have to lose them all over again. Pretty dumb, huh?

I want the doctor to see that by giving me the pain meds, I was able to finally lose weight. Gee, I guess the last time I saw him in May, I must have really looked bad to him. lol I didn't have any makeup on so probably scared him.
    lol

Take good care of yourself!

Big hug,
    Faye
  10. brit_17759

brit_17759 New Member

Happy things are going better for you. You are strong and brave for taking that first big step. I will keep you in my prayers.

Take good care of yourself
    hugs
    brit

11. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Thank you:
    But remember, much of the strength came from you.
    You had courage to help.
    NyroFan
  12. badangel3

badangel3 New Member

you deserve one for taking that step to get help. Working with your doctor via this contract will be a good thing. Stick with you meetings..you won't regret it. (((((((HUG))))))) Jackie
  13. Donya58

Donya58 New Member

I'm so proud that you have the strength and courage to follow the road ahead.God bless, Donya:))
  14. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I can only sit and imagine the lump in your throat you had to swallow to post the truth here on this board.

This news is exciting and hopeful for your future and I hope you continue to find the strength to do well.

I see you signing this contract as a committment to yourself and your future wellness.

Bravo!!!

Nancy B.
  15. sheried

sheried New Member

Nyro, you go! We are all cheering you on.

Gentle bear hugs,
    Sherie
  16. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

This is wonderful news Nyrofan, & your doctor sounds as if he is really supporting you. Best wishes & less pain for your future.
  17. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

I called one of the girls from AA and told her about your encouragement. I just wanted to see what meeting she wanted me to go to with her today. It's going to be Friday night.
    She will pick me up at 7:30pm, but the meeting starts at eight.

So far I can not get myself to say 'Hi I'm NyroFan and an alcoholic' when everyone introduces them self. I just usually introduce myself (with my name, of course) and then say I'm new.

I question to myself sometimes: does drinking to battle pain constitute an alcholic. The girl I spoke to one the phone said I would have to find out for myself. She said to just stick close to the board here and attend the meeting for at least three months or more.

I can not say I do not enjoy the meeting. I always thought they were lectures, but people just sit around an say how AA helped them. So far, I'm quiet and they said it was OK.
    I might get up the nerve to say something this week. I do not know.

I guess only time will tell.
    Thank you so very, very much,
    HUGS to all of you,
    NyroFan
  18. JLH

JLH New Member

You're on the way to doing GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

Your doctor is working with you by having you sign the contract and bringing in a signed AA form. That way, you KNOW you have to go in order to get your pain meds.

It does look like you're out the fire, just don't get back in to the frying pan!!!

I really don't think you will. You have also made that commitment to yourself. You want to do this. We want you to do this. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I hope you get a permanent AA sponsor soon, so you two can form a bond and have someone to talk with.

Keep us posted!

I'm so proud of you. I wish I could be there in person to give you a big bear hug!!!!

Remember, we all love you and are rooting for you!

Hugs,
    Janet
  19. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

I am someone that self medicated with alcohol for years, way too many years, I have been sober for 12 years, you can do it too!!!
    Sue
  20. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Just to let you know I am happy about your decision and even happier that you have a doctor who will actually work with you. I wonder how many here have someone like that? He is looking out for himself, I'm sure, but I believe he is at the same time trying to do what's best for you. I'm so impressed with that...

But I am more impressed with you! What courage you showed. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, so when you are feeling a bit down, know there is a whole group who supports you...and a sponser, I hope.

Best wishes,
    Sue