Out of the mouth of BABES

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bevy2most, Mar 16, 2008.

1. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

My 5 year old niece is staying with us while her Mom is deployed, so last weekend we attended a party for my fils 91st birthday.

My niece an I were standing in line at the table that they had the cakes and punch on, and she is just learning to read so she sees the 9 and the 1 on the cake and says Mr. V isn't 9, I said no read the numbers together, so she says oh he is 91!!!! That means he is almost dead!!!! I had no response for her other than we need to use our inside voice from now on.

Thank goodness everyone that heard including my mil got a great giggle out of it much to my chagrin.

2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

How cute!! Kids DO say the darndest things don't they??

I remember when my son held onto my Mom and called her his favorite antique!

THAT was too precious.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

Most elderly people I think would find that funny... at least the ones I've known/know.

I remember my Mom looking out over the forest/fields next to the
    'retirement home' she was living in and watching the buzzards cluster during the winter, and laughing while remarking, "They're just waiting for me, and everyone else here!"

She could only walk slowly due to lungs... my DH quipped, "'80 days around the block' starring (my Mom's name)", and she cracked up...

(LOL, he'd have never said it if he knew she didn't have a good sense of humor!)

Kids just have a very innocent way of being honest, can't imagine anyone getting mad at them anyway for such remarks!

4. stick2013

stick2013 Member

When my daughter was around 5, we were shopping in a store, she was running underneath the clothing racks. She came out at one point, and was standing in front of 2 elderly dwarf sisters. She just looked at me and said, " Hey mom, little kid grandmothers," I almost died.......

Yup, out of the mouth of babes.....
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

They're so innocent and honest.

Totally reminds me of when my son was about 5,..(he's 11 now)
    he said "Mom,..I feel sorry for old people"

I asked him why? He says "cause they're gonna die real soon'
  6. 4everkid

4everkid New Member

Bevy, If you think about it, that is excellent deductive reasoning for a 5-year-old!!

It's impressive that she knows 91, a BIG 2 digit number. The fact that she recognizes that it's close to 100 (the "biggest", or "oldest" in the mind of a small child), is also pretty amazing. She knows the relationship of 91 to the average life expectancy! That's not normal 5-year-old knowledge.

A lot of "big person" intelligence went into that little embarrassing remark! Your reaction was perfect. She only stated what she knew.

Janalynn, Victoria, tandy... great stories! Stick, yours just made me spew pop all over the keyboard! "Little kid Grandma's!" Priceless.

This has the makings for a long and hilarious thread!

My kids put me through several of these moments. From my son asking "What's he?" when encountering his first person of color, to my daughters frequent encounters with cowboys, hillbillies, pilgrims and such, at the grocery store. These things always happened at close proximity for me. They never mention it quietly, out of hearing range.

My sister-in-law told me that once, as a child, she licked the African American elevator attendants arm. She turned around an announced to her mother, "Mom, he is NOT chocolate!" That's a case where the parent deserved the embarrassment.
  7. tandy

tandy New Member

has nothing to do with old people but,....
    My son loves chocolate!!! (wonder where he gets that from?? :)
    one day in the grocery store he came running up to me all excited,pointing to the dairy case saying "Mom,Mom!! they got chocolate eggs!!
    (brown eggs)

I had to explain to him that they were just reg. eggs with a brown shell and that they did'nt taste like chocolate.
    How funny