Out of work again with my PAIN IN THE BUTT!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Nov 13, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and I don't mean my boss!!! Well, most of you know my story about my dreaded butt pain; if not, read my post I wrote earlier. Anyway, it's the worst ever~~~could be the major STRESS with my husband's prostate biopsy and my liver biopsy and money worries and yada yada yada. My husband thinks there's some miracle pill that will take it away and, at least, knock me out! Well, there isn't. I have taken as strong as they get with no effect whatsoever. The only thing that helps at all is 800 mg. of Ibuprofen and it is killing my stomach recently. I went to work today and by the time I got to the med prep room for report, I was dying with pain. I couldn't bend over the slightest bit to pour pills and I went right to the supervisor and asked her to call a replacement in. I think the driving set it off again, 'cause when I woke up, it was only a minor pain. I had to leave work Sunday and stayed out Monday and Tuesday, so I thought the rest and anti-inflammatory med helped, but when I drove it must've aggravated that sciatic nerve again and the pain is radiating down my right leg on both sides and into my groin where there is numbness. Oh boy, that feels weird! I called my PCP on Monday and Tuesday and I never heard from him, so when I left work this a.m., I went to his office, crying.....(In his defense, he HAD tried to call, but I must've been online.....oops!) He wants an MRI done day after tomorrow. Now, if THIS expensive test comes back inclusive, I'm gonna give up on everything having to do with the medical field. I can't believe I'm gonna hafta take another medical leave of absence from work....when are they gonna say, "enough!!!!!???" This sucks big time! I am just SO tired of this, aren't you guys??? It's always something! (Roseanne Roseannadanna!!!)
    Oh well, I'm home for awhile 'cause from what I've been told, the sciatic nerve inflammation has to heal from rest and anti-inflammatories, so I'm screwed. I guess I had reason to dread Christmas~~~there will be no $$$$ this year. Now, for all of you who this I'm a pessimist, I say, "pooh on you!" I think I deserve the chance to moan and groan a little now and then and if you don't like it, PLEASE keep your opinions to yourself.....unless you wanna come foot the bill for me being out of work AGAIN!!!! This is getting rather old and I NEED to work.......I'm just a poor old nurse.....waaaaa waaaa!!!!! No, just kidding, if anyone has experience with the old sciatic nerve problems and can give some good advice, please do.....I hafta get better ASAP.....
    Love you all!!!
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

and I don't mean my boss!!! Well, most of you know my story about my dreaded butt pain; if not, read my post I wrote earlier. Anyway, it's the worst ever~~~could be the major STRESS with my husband's prostate biopsy and my liver biopsy and money worries and yada yada yada. My husband thinks there's some miracle pill that will take it away and, at least, knock me out! Well, there isn't. I have taken as strong as they get with no effect whatsoever. The only thing that helps at all is 800 mg. of Ibuprofen and it is killing my stomach recently. I went to work today and by the time I got to the med prep room for report, I was dying with pain. I couldn't bend over the slightest bit to pour pills and I went right to the supervisor and asked her to call a replacement in. I think the driving set it off again, 'cause when I woke up, it was only a minor pain. I had to leave work Sunday and stayed out Monday and Tuesday, so I thought the rest and anti-inflammatory med helped, but when I drove it must've aggravated that sciatic nerve again and the pain is radiating down my right leg on both sides and into my groin where there is numbness. Oh boy, that feels weird! I called my PCP on Monday and Tuesday and I never heard from him, so when I left work this a.m., I went to his office, crying.....(In his defense, he HAD tried to call, but I must've been online.....oops!) He wants an MRI done day after tomorrow. Now, if THIS expensive test comes back inclusive, I'm gonna give up on everything having to do with the medical field. I can't believe I'm gonna hafta take another medical leave of absence from work....when are they gonna say, "enough!!!!!???" This sucks big time! I am just SO tired of this, aren't you guys??? It's always something! (Roseanne Roseannadanna!!!)
    Oh well, I'm home for awhile 'cause from what I've been told, the sciatic nerve inflammation has to heal from rest and anti-inflammatories, so I'm screwed. I guess I had reason to dread Christmas~~~there will be no $$$$ this year. Now, for all of you who this I'm a pessimist, I say, "pooh on you!" I think I deserve the chance to moan and groan a little now and then and if you don't like it, PLEASE keep your opinions to yourself.....unless you wanna come foot the bill for me being out of work AGAIN!!!! This is getting rather old and I NEED to work.......I'm just a poor old nurse.....waaaaa waaaa!!!!! No, just kidding, if anyone has experience with the old sciatic nerve problems and can give some good advice, please do.....I hafta get better ASAP.....
    Love you all!!!
    Kady
  3. karen55

karen55 New Member

I don't know if I have any great advice, but I HAVE had 2 ruptured disks and still have pain from sciatica. When I had the ruptured disks and there were pieces of disk pressing against the nerve, there was nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING that could touch that pain. Sitting, driving, standing were all completely unbearable. Lying down in certain positions helped take the pressure off the nerve so it was at least tolerable (sort of!). The MRI, as you know, will show what's going on with the disks. Until then, you will probably be unable to do whatever is causing the pressure to intensify and cause you so much pain. I completely sympathize with you, been there, done that, and it's no fun, I know. I missed a lot of work with mine, and finally got to the point, both times, where I just could not work until surgery, and recovery from that. I don't know what options you have, but I've heard recently there ARE options available for disk injuries, depending on exactly what the injury is. I'm sorry you are having so much pain, and so much added stress to go along with it. Please post about your MRI. {{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2002]
  4. marinemom

marinemom New Member

I don't know if you've tried this, but here goes.

I've had the same problem you have for years. The only way I've gotten any relief is by a chiropractor. When I first started going, it hurt like he**, but I kept at it and within 3 visits, the pain was gone.

Now I go on a need to basis. That's the important thing. Find one that does NOT insist you come in each week or whatever. I think those that do are just after your money and not concerned with your health. I've run into a couple of those!

Anyway, that's my two cents worth. Hope you get to feeling better.

((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
    Kathy
  5. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I have looked in my CIGNA insurance book and can't find a local chiropractor that it will pay, but there is one that's covered under my plan is Winston-Salem, about an hour away. That's where my liver doc (damn him) and my Rheumy are. My husband INSISTS on going to all my appts. with me, as I do his, and he doesn't like the idea of a chiropractor, for some reason, but I think I need immediate relief and my friend just offered the same advice. I think I'll wait till after the MRI, though, and just rest in bed for now. At least the MRI SHOULD show something, right??????????? The symptoms are pretty much the usual ones for sciatic nerve irritation, I think!!! If you think of anything else, let me know...
    What kind of disc surgery did you have, Karen????????
    Love you guys!
    Kady
  6. timmissyh

timmissyh New Member

Hey there! I just wanted to add to your groaning and moaning...I too suffer from the same pain. The numbness in left leg scares me! I am afraid to walk around some times! I am 42 and feel like my granma-in-law who is 96 and gets around better than me! I have FMS/CFS and went thru the MRI, C-scan...the whole 9 yards of &*^% they could think of and nothing showed up on any of them! I was told by my rheumy that this is how it is and he gave a steriod shot in the lower back and left hip side to help with the pain/numbness, which it did for about 2 weeks and then it returned completely.

My husband also thinks that there is a "miracle pill" for me! We just about separated over this DD! I finally told him to face up to the facts of my disease and that there is no cure, it gets worse, not better! I told him to start helping me with it or to leave! He is now a big help to me and has read a lot of material regarding this SHI....!!!

I am currently seeking employment to work from home but am having a hard time! There is no way that I can hold a job in the normal settings! Like today, I did good to get out of bed and stay out of it!!! I hate this! I use to be so out going and full of energy! Now it wipes me out to make dinner! Sad but true!

Well, I will be watching for your post on the MRI results and pray that there is something there that CAN be resolved! and not with results as mine were! But rest asure you are not alone in your misery!!! I'm there with you!!!

Missyh
  7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

THIS is my fear; that they will find nothing when I know it's a big SOMETHING! I CAN'T work with this pain. I ALWAYS have pain, but I can work through it, but NOT this pain. It has ALWAYS been my most severe pain and it comes and goes all the time; the difference NOW is the radiation down my leg and into my groin. It just doesn't look good for me to be holding my "arse" with one hand and my groin with the other!!! My patients are beginning to talk. I can't bend over in the least and my med cart has eight drawers in it full of meds.....THAT'S my job; to give pills. If I can't do that, I'm useless! I'll keep you posted. Thanks so much for the words of wisdom!!!

Love,
    Kady
  8. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Will it EVER end???????? I hafta be outta work for a week before I can apply for STD, but I definitely will, like I did when I broke my foot. Then, the first week won't be paid for, but the rest will and I will definitely need the $$$$$.
    No, damnit, I do not deserve this. It's as if I am cursed. It's something each and every week, you know? I DO need a good nurse/friend......you're MORE than welcome to visit and take care of me whenever you can!! lol
    Love you bunches!
    Kady
  9. kadywill

kadywill New Member

this is GREAT news......I'll do it!!!! At least, if the MRI shows nothing serious, I can still work....thank you so much!!
    Love,
    Kady
  10. karen55

karen55 New Member

Kady, I ruptured L5-S1 in 1996. I had been having back pain for a few years, had MRI's, etc. and the disc was herniated slightly. I saw a chiropractor prior to the rupture and for periods of time it helped, but when the disc ruptured it was an altogether different magnitude of pain. INTENSE pain, burning, radiating from the sciatic nerve down my butt, my leg, into my foot. By the end of that first day my toes were numb. The chiro xrayed me and refused (correctly) to touch me with the symptoms. Saw my ortho the next morning because I literally could not stand or walk, had to be helped to the car, etc. Anyways, I had a lumbar laminectomy/discectomy. Took almost 3 months to get back to work because for the first month I still could not sit, the burning was so bad. Then in 2000, I ruptured L4-L5 and I knew immediately what I had done. Same exact pain, on the other side. Same surgery again, only I've never gotten back to where I was after the first surgery. I have some permanent nerve damage in my right foot and leg, but it's much more functional now than it was after the first surgery. I've just had pain since the last surgery and it flares and puts me out of commission for a few days from time to time. Now I'm really careful about lifting, pulling, pushing, you name it. I used to think I was superwoman, and was so hardheaded and would do everything that had to be done, including move the piano from one room to another alone, but no more! And the last thing I want to do is have to have another back surgery. They were both necessary, could not function as it was, when the discs ruptured I had free floating pieces. The surgeries definitely helped, no doubt about that. I'm just finally accepting that at 47, my body cannot/will not do all the same things it could do at 27, and I am now not afraid to say "I cannot do that".
  11. Joannie

Joannie New Member

Sorry to hear that you are still having this problem. My problems all started with this exact pain. I just want to say I can truly sympothize with you. It gets so bad with me I can not walk at all. Thank goodness for the walls in the house being so sturdy, their my support most of the time. What I do to relieve my pain is I lay on my right side, my worst pain being my left side. I elevate my left leg and use my heating pad. I also take a lot of flexeral that tends to relax the muscles that has the sciatic nerve pinch. It is possible that it is a disc but the muscles are going to spasm too.
    I just want you to know I truly know what your going through. I would not wish this upon anyone(Well, maybe a couple, kidding).
    Kaddy I am not sure of everything that you have gone through because I am new to the board. I just want you to know that I pray they find something to relieve your pain but try not to get discouraged if the MRI doesn't show something. Mine didn't but hopefully yours will. Please be sure to keep us informed okay. And it is okay to vent. We all need to and that is why so many of us are here. To be shoulders to each other to lean on and talk to about our pain and flusteration.
    I wish you much luck and hopefully some relief.
    Joannie
  12. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I called my PCP and asked him about the Lidoderm patches and he said it was a good idea and he had some in his office. I'm gonna pick 'em up in the a.m. Thank you SO much....cross your fingers!!!!!
    Love,
    Kady
  13. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

I feel so bad about what you're going thru right now with that terrible pain. Everyone's offered you some good advice on things to try. The only thing I can think of is to ask you if you have tried any "Mobic" medication?
    I've been taking this for a long time to help with my hip pain. I used to take "Vioxx" which was Great! But it has too many side effects, so they now give me the next best thing which is "Mobic".
    hope this helps.......

Love,
    HOUSEOFBLUES
  14. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Hey guys. When you get this "miracle pill" that all your mates are speaking of....could you pass one on to me. I'll pay top dollar or the going rate (going rate probably more in my pay scale).
    Thanks. Soft hugs.
  15. kadywill

kadywill New Member

about the tape sensitivity and I can't even use paper tape on my skin~~thanks Madwolf for the info. I'm gonna be very careful...don't need additional problems, do I??
    Oh yes, hospital floors ARE killers! You know, after all the worker's comp. issues relating to the hard floors, you'd think something could be used to protect the staff and patients/residents. I remember when we built our present facility six years ago, I had shin splints after a few days! This isn't smart. I've been a nurse for 27 years now and I've had every spider vein and leg pain imaginable. I've gone to my doc and he just laughs and says it's part of being a nurse. I am sure that my present complaint is related to my work~~that's a no-brainer. I give my all at work and it shows.
    Oh, and yes I took Mobic when prescribed by my Rheumy. The first time I saw him, he prescribed Mobic, Vicodin, Soma and Neurontin. I was already taking a lot of Ultram. He thought the Mobic was a better idea than was all of the Ibuprofen I had been taking. I stopped the Mobic when I got to feeling better and I shouldn't have. This was about the time I had the liver biopsy and the liver doc said to cut my meds down to the bare minimum. This was one I D/C'd. I'll probably get a refill at the pharmacy tomorrow. I never stopped the Ultram and Soma; those are staples for me! However, as much as I love my Ultram, it does NOTHING for THIS pain.
    I'll let you know how the patches work!!!
    Love and thanks to all,
    Kady
  16. PEACH

PEACH New Member

I have had that pain in the butt since the beginning of my back injury they tell me it is bi-lateral sciatica and the mri showed ddd and five bulging disks I am at present on the duregisic pain patch after the morphine I was on it is a relief.No pills to take no groggy mind and somewhat of control over the pain I can sit and stand again. The pain is never completely gone but it is at a more tolerable stage for me. I hear your crying and it is ok with me cause I do understand and I live it too. bless your heart that you have been able to continue to work, I also understand the Christmas problem$$$$$ me too with five children and grand children I feel like you. Keep a Stiff upper lip(like we have any other choice)Just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Sincerely Peach
  17. queenbee69

queenbee69 New Member

Dear Kady......Just a few words of good luck to you. I am going through a similar situation. Its not bad enough were in so much pain, the money not coming in doesnt help, especially with xmas just around the corner. Stay strong and my thoughts are with you! queenbee

[ advertisement ]