Outraged need to vent about a "dOctor"!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by healthywannabe, May 9, 2003.

1. healthywannabe

healthywannabe New Member

Yesterday I went to the doctor she was an internist. The first thing she said after I told her everthing I had been going through was "We don't know what causes cfs and we don't really know what to do for it." "You may feel like this everyday for the rest of your life." "Low income people don't get cfs because they need to get up and go to work and they can't "afford" to be sick." She said I should start sitting up longer and longer every day know matter how sick it makes me feel and also to start doing yoga. SHE said When I have strange dreams I need to solve them when I wake up, what? She had mono and she carried on with her responsiblities.Then she said, If I don't get up I will be lying on the couch in 40 years.Then she had the nerve to say, As far as sicknesses go cfs is way down on the bottom of the totum pole there are alot more sicker people than you. She totally belittled how I felt. She says I have a disabilty to learn now to live with it. Sorry needed to vent I was so hoping she would help me to feel better. Evil Quack? peace ZOe
    [This Message was Edited on 05/09/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 05/09/2003]
  2. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

I am sorry you went through this and I suggest if possible you never go see her again, but you should write a letter to her about her lack of professionalism and down right evil attitude.
    Try a search for the friendly Dr. list and even if they can't help you , they will respect you and your situation.

I think you should write a letter to your local medical board. It may not due any good but will get it off of your chest.
  3. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

Evil indeed. Turn her ass in.
  4. fsprint

fsprint New Member

This just makes me angry that a doctor (a wannabe doctor) can treat anyone like that. I would turn her in to the medical board!!!! She is more than evil. Honey, her day is coming! Good luck, Fran
  5. lorgirls

lorgirls New Member

I hate people like that .That doc has obviousley been lucky to be healthy enough not to know what pain is. Thay just have no idea. Sorry you had to come across such a heartless person.
  6. T-BO

T-BO New Member

Honestly, if a doctor said that to me, I would have got an instant adrenalin rush for the moment and smashed them in the face!!

I am glad to hear that you kept your cool though! Obviously violonce would not solve anything.

I say blow the horn on this whack job quack!

Peace out,

Tom
  7. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Hi Zoe,
    I recently posted about my new doc not referring me to a rheumy,dont they make you Angry!
    I am so sorry youve had to go through this dont they realise Stress is what makes us worse-Idiots!
    I hope you can write & let her know how upset you are because maybe next time she may be more understanding?
    Hang on in there girlfriend.
    Hugs Shazza
  8. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

"If I don't get up I will be lying on the couch in 40 years"

Your physician ((or ex-physician))lacks compassion. BUT, that above statement is true. You are too mad right now to hear it probably, and I can understand your anger.

If my healthy 30 year old son hypothetically decided he was going to spend all his time on the couch, eating handy foods (processed) his healthy body would become weak, muscles would atrophy and it would be very difficult for him to perform activities of daily living (ADLs).

In effect, he could seem to be in a similar condition as we are. We initially did not put ourselves on the couch (our conditions beat us down) but if we do not use our muscles, we become worse. If our muscles are in top notch conditon, our ADLs are easier to perform and are less stressful to our bodies. Our bodies are hypervigilent to all stressors.

Your doctor was not helpful to approach you in this way, unfortunately some of what was correct in what she said is going to get thrown out with HOW she said it. Sorry, June
  9. lynnkat

lynnkat New Member

Zoe--how rude that doc was to you!!! My high blood pressure is getting HIGHER! I have come to the conclusion that life is too short and painful to take abuse from insensitive docs. I know that they put in many years of study to become a member of the medical profession but I often wonder if they ever took "Compassion 101" in their medical classes.

I know that it's more rewarding for docs to treat people for diseases that have a greater and more visible "turn around" time for improvement but "WE" deserve to have docs help us also. AND---might I add--- without being belitted or verbally abused. I don't go back to docs that treat me badly and neither does my money! Money talks and maybe if they lose enough patients they will improve their service to us.

Take a deep breath and give yourself a hug. ((HUGS))) lynnkat
  10. tiredTina

tiredTina New Member

and the doc that I saw told me to go see a psychiatrist. Only to find out yesturday that he was VERY wrong, and I had some positive blood come back proving that there was indeed something wrong.......and I am not a LOON! I'm switching docs and I've complained to my ins. company. I'm also going to report him to the medical board, I urge you to do the same so these docs can realize that it's NOT okay to treat patients like this. I feel your frustration, and know that there is someone out there that will listen to you, and help you! Take care.
    ~Tina~
  11. loopyloo

loopyloo New Member

I agree with Tina you must report this doctor to the medical board so that she cannot do this to any one else and if enought of her patients report her she will get struck off, this was a very nasty way to tell some one they are disabled and will have this for a long time yes she may have kept her job but she sits on a chair all day if she was doing physical work or had to stand up all day she would not be doing it now, find a diffrent doctor
    ((((((((big hugs)))))))
    Loopyloo xx
  12. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

After 25+ yrs. we are still being treated this way. My rheume, guess I was to take this as a compliment, said it is usually low class people who get this I just am 1 of the few that don`t fit the profile. This was when I told him what I DID have & DONE. He will not give pain meds. Sells his malic acid for $25.00,small bottle, go home take it and you will be fine. He used to speak on fm all over this area. I know a Doc. who goe`s to some meetings my rheume attends, he makes fun of us to the other docs. We need to picket all these docs offices. I even had a doc throw my rx`s for treatment on the floor. Too many incidents to count, my friends too. WAKE UP or we WILL PICKET.
  13. mamafurr

mamafurr New Member

what an itch with the b letter. i had a doctor before the one i have now and he was the male equivalent. dropped him like a hot tater. you need to report her to the medical board. she should be taking some classes to refresh her memory of the hypocratic oath. keep trying. i found the best doc in the world after that jerk. so there are good one's out there.
    take care.
  14. Meerkat60

Meerkat60 New Member

I just found this board and yours was the first message I read. As soon as I finished it I knew I had to sign up so I could reply. Your experience reminded me of a similar one I had not long after I had been diagnosed. I heard a doctor at the University where I was working say that fibromyalgia was just something people made up because they didn't want to work. I was SO angry. This was when I was still able to drag myself in to work. I've since had to quit and am in the process of filing for disability (denied twice and currently waiting for my hearing). Believe me, in a choice between FMS/CFS and work, I would choose work. Who wouldn't? On a positive note, I have found a very supportive doctor so there are some out there. I know it's hard but hang in there. The next doctor you see may be one who can really help you so don't give up.

Renee
  15. RedB

RedB New Member

LOL! Thanks for the funny statement, Noah.

"she should have been a Proctologist and every examination would be like looking in the mirror"

I've been away for a week, because my own doctor didn't seem to think an antibiotic was necessary when I went in to him for a sinus infection -- 4 days later I had to go to the local walk-in clinic to get some, along with a prescription decongestant. Was feeling better by that evening, after suffering for 10 days with a stupid cold.

Because of this I'm rethinking my relationship with my doctor, and your comment on this one gave me a good chuckle!

Kathy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/12/2003]