Outrageos Can't even "cry" at docs office

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Mar 22, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I waited for quite some time to get a medication prescribed that I assumed was for the neuropathy in my arms, this one can also be used for depression. I figured I' give it a try. Anywho, I never got it signed off by the doc, and when the pharmacy finally got a note from my doc, it said that the medication is prescribed for depression (not neuropathy) and POSSIBLY BIPOLAR! (I have no problem with bipolar, but I DO have a problem with misdiagnosis)I was stunned and got really upset! I have a severe case of PTSD, and clinical depression, but that is not anything new and something I managed to handle without medications, just like mom,,,LOL!

Anywho, last I saw him I had desided to "vent" my frustration and let him know how I really felt physically. It was apparent that he didn't realise this, and I only met him once. This led him to believe possible CFM, and he has referred me to a rheumy for a final diagnosis.

This makes me think the idea to vent (not yell) but bawl and look as miserable as I felt for once (in a nice'ol flare!) was a bad idea with this doc. Gosh! My PTSD presents itself strongly, especially when it comes to building trust, and that can probably be misinterpreted. After those years of not being heard by docs, who wouldn't be reserved anywho?

I called my counselor, and also asked the psyciatrist that diagnosed me with PTSD to give a statement about my diagnosis. My counselor can let him know who I am, since she have seen me for 2 years now. She never seen anything remotely close to BP.

I am so mad! trust issue damaged again, now what?
  2. mjwarchol

mjwarchol New Member

Some medicines have multiple uses. If you look at the info it may say "used for ....... or in other circumstances as prescribed by your doctor".

I am on medications that are typically used for other things, but that is not why I am on them. Example, I used to be on a medicine for chronic fatigue that is no longer on the market. It's primary use was for Hperactivity and ADD. But in CFS it works the opposite.

So I don't know if this is your case or not, but don't worry about what the medication says it's for as much as whether it helps YOU or not.

M J
  3. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

on the label of the med. It was said in person by the doc to the pharmacy staff. They were as stunned as me since they know me well. LOL!
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

the doctor uses it to increase the seritonin in my brain which in turn helps the pain from fibro.I hope that your doctor meant something similar.Sorry you had to go through that..big(((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))Linda
  5. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Again, the Ph. told the pharmacy staff that he prescribed it for possible bipolar. I am sorry, my post was not very clear, I have to calm down before I write next time! English is also my second language which doesn't help,,,LOL!
  6. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

bless your heart for the info and your story. I just spoke to my counselor and she was a stunned by the statement as I was. She said she have never seen such an even person before. She said,,,(LOL!) that you're like Ior, the steady alittle low-ish thing from the chronic depression-type person.
    I told her, yes, it must be boring coming to me for the wekly counseling, I am so darn predictable,,,LOL!

Any way, she says she is going to call my doc and ask if he need any info from her, and she want to explain my PTSD and how I get around strangers. Not odd, just closed up, a bit. Besides, mistrust in docs in general after seeking diagnosis does it's part.

Many thanks again, Gigi

Lena
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2006]
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I just came back from Rheumy in tears. I have never taken anything stronger than a tylenol, and then rarely as I am med sensitive. This doctor, just because my Lyme tests did not match his dx got quite annoyed with me. I asked him why the awful pain and he said it was because I won't take meds. I said I may take some meds but I have to check and see if they hurt my stomach.

He suggested a few, and I said NO NO, then he said what does work? I said is there a Fentanyl patch as when they gave me that in hospital(once for a procedure) it really helped my pain. He hit the roof, he said don't come in here asking me for narcotics as you are not about to get any. I said, I was not doing that. I had no idea that was a narcotic, and why would someone who won't take even a tylenol except in agony, ask for a narcotic? He gave me the "look" and I said, Oh I get it, because my blood tests were normal, you think I am coming here to get narcotics, inventing my pain?" He did not say NO. I said I suggest you check back all my medical hx and you will see I have never taken meds except for my stomach. The neurologist asked me to try Neurontin and after two days the side effects were hotrrific so I stopped.

Make your mind up, one minute I am refusing to take meds, the next you are accusing me of wanting narcotics??? By now I WAS crying. He said well what did you ever take that did not upset your stomach. I said amtriptiline. So he immediately started scribbling a scrip. When I said, well will this help FM? He said, maybe, unless it is purely somatic. I said I was a psychologist for 27 years and knew if I had pain or not. He handed me the scrip and walked out leaving me in shreds and tears.

So boy do I understand how you are feeling right now. I am going to write to BMA, as I am so fed up of these docs. Last time I saw him he was sweet and nice. Maybe you could send him your med?????(LOL)

Anyway, I may be able to advise re the med. for you.

Sorry for ranting, I could spit feathers I am so mad and upset myself. YOu know who we have? Each other, that is all we have these boards where we are beleived and respected.

Love Anne C
  8. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I enjoy your 'rants.' Thanks for posting. You put things so clearly.
    (( ))
  9. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Thanks for the rant, although it's sad. I am going to put my doc on the spot tomorrow, ask him if he assume I'm one of those "close to 40 females" who are psycosomatic and depressed. Depending on his answer I'm going to ask him straight if he believes in FM. If not, he is outta' door. I am sick of this bulls$$$. I need my diagnosis. The prob is he is referring me to a rheumy who could make the final diagnosi, and I don't want to cut the tie until I have it for sure.
    I am so sorry for us, it is so darn upsetting!

(((many hugs to us!)))
    As my counselor said also, that I have improved so much she didn't think I need antidepressant, but who knows. He prescribed Cymbalta, supposed to handle neuropathy and depression. I figure idf it takes care of my arms, I will seem better in his eyes with the "depression" too!
  10. kriket

kriket New Member

Glad to know that I am not the only one going through this with doctors. I have made posts about this in the last couple of days. I just knew it was not all me.

Kriket
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

There are quite a few here who take it. It is supposed to work for FM because it is one of those combo nuro receptor drugs. So it is mainly used for depression and FM I think.

I bet the rheumy now thinks I am psychotic cause I cried.

Another thing he would be wrong about.

A few people here like Cymbalta others don't. Try writing a Cymbalta post.

Love Anne C
  12. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Medicaid wouldn't approve it, they asked him to prescribe something else first. Butt farts!

If it's not one thing, it's another. I heard good things about Cymbalta and wanted to try it for my bad arms and general well being. I don't know why they pick on him for this med, now he REALLY need a definite diagnosis! LOL! (drop the psyc.eval and diagnose me,,,LOL!) that way he can tell them what it's for. Thanks for posting, I really do appreciate it, I needed a shoulder to wail on!

((hugs))
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2006]