Over eating and chronic pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, May 17, 2009.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

Does anyone here have an opinion or theory about this?

When some people are in chronic pain, they overeat, almost like using food as a comfort, or some kind of emotional drug.

However, some people who have chronic pain may even shy away from food and only eat to live because their pain is so unbearable, it can dampen their appetite.

Unfortunatly, I fall into the first explanation, I overeat with my chronic pain. I suppose either behavior wouldn't be healthy, just something interesting to think about. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I think those that overeat or don't eat when they have pain are probably the same as those who eat from stress and those who don't.

There are so many people who drop weight, you ask them how, and they say they've been so stressed out.
    I never lose weight when I'm stressed out -it's not even that I overeat.

Whether I eat or not for comfort totally depends on the day, if I'm in really bad pain, I mean really bad, I probably am less likely to eat.

JEANSKI New Member

Yup, i overeat when in pain. Which is all the time. LOL So I am quite heavy...which perpetuates the pain. It numbs me and gives me something to do that doesn't require alot of movement. But I get pleasure from it and when it is sugar I even get a feel good buzz.

I've been doing better since on pain meds. I hope I can keep enjoying the benefits of this.