over the counter medication that works for fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Margiepj, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Margiepj

Margiepj New Member

Hi, I would like to know if anyone out there has a medication that works for fibro without it being a prescription , I currently take darvon for pain and have flexril , but they make me tired, SO does anyone have an answer? I was thinking of taking percogesic? anyone? Margiepj
  2. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

the amounts which the first responder reported WERE MASSIVE DOSES, EVEN IF THEY DID MIX THEM UP.

A recent study out indicted that Alleve, or naproxen, is the ONLY NSAID which does not have significant negative cardiac effects.

One has to be VERY CAREFUL WITH OVER THE COUNTER, AS MANY CONTAIN TYLENOL OR THE ACTIVE INGREDIENT, AND ONE CAN KNOCK ONE'S LIVER OFF.

Truthfully, pediatricians rotate NSAIDS with tylenol, when children are sick and have a fever in order to NOT GET OVERDOSES WITH TYLENOL, AND THAT PERMITS THEM TO GIVE THE NSAID, AND THEN JUST TWO OR THREE HOURS LATER THE TYLENOL, AND THEN THE NSAID WHEN IT WOULD NORMALLY BE GIVEN, ETC.

I understand that Alleve is longlasting, so one could take that, and then use Tylenol during the time that the Alleve was in effect, and piggy back the effect.

That may be an effective manner in which to use over the counter. Additinally, it is not over the counter, but Ultram, or the generic of it, is quite useful for more intense pain, for some people, and it also comes in a version which has tylenol in it, as well.

The generic is very, very inexpensive. I think one can get 100 for less than $10 at Costco, and one can order it via the mail from there, with a script, and does not need to be a member to use the service.