over whelmed with FIBRO

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by annrenee, Oct 11, 2002.

1. annrenee

annrenee New Member

Dear People,
    I have only been Dx with Fibro for about 3 weeks now.This is very overwhelming to me and I just dont know what to do,
    All my life i have been the mother hen type the go getting the one that will do anything for anyone. I rememebr being sick many many years ago befor the accutal fibro cought up with me. In my teens i have stomach problems in my 20s I have mono2,2 caraccidents with whiplash,IBS,majior headaches from way back and aches and pains But in 1998 I was in college anbd working full time talking care of my house my kids and going through adivorce. I was studying to become a PARAMEDIC and working on a ortho nuero floor. I was lifting a pt with 3 other nusers thisw man was at least every bit of 450lb. durring the lift i felt a pull in my low back. Needless to say they kept telling me nothing was wrong. and it will heal it was just a sprain on the back bla bla bla bla. I went back to work and it was hurting so bad I left work in tears and i told there I was in so much pain there was no way i could do my work.To make a long story shorter......I went through steriod injections and blocks and i walked with a cane for a while and they still said there was nothing wrong I was out of work about 2 and a half years. in 2000 I moved to tenn (was in michigan) and worked as a temp for a short time got a full time position is a hospital and a HUC I can not rememebr when i felt well enough to do anything, I screwed up on this job and with the nurses and doc I quit before being fired a job i wanted to still try to help others turned into a job where i could hurt someone. I have not worked in a year about 3 weeks ago the doctore told me i had FIBROI have lost everythingmy career my social life a normal what do we do now! I have no income coming in I feel that SSDI needs to pay me i have paid my share in i am 4 point shy of being able to get my retirement. but there is no way in hell i can work.
    please help me understand what i am facing with this desease
    crying hurting a fatigued
    Annrenee
  2. annrenee

annrenee New Member

Dear People,
    I have only been Dx with Fibro for about 3 weeks now.This is very overwhelming to me and I just dont know what to do,
    All my life i have been the mother hen type the go getting the one that will do anything for anyone. I rememebr being sick many many years ago befor the accutal fibro cought up with me. In my teens i have stomach problems in my 20s I have mono2,2 caraccidents with whiplash,IBS,majior headaches from way back and aches and pains But in 1998 I was in college anbd working full time talking care of my house my kids and going through adivorce. I was studying to become a PARAMEDIC and working on a ortho nuero floor. I was lifting a pt with 3 other nusers thisw man was at least every bit of 450lb. durring the lift i felt a pull in my low back. Needless to say they kept telling me nothing was wrong. and it will heal it was just a sprain on the back bla bla bla bla. I went back to work and it was hurting so bad I left work in tears and i told there I was in so much pain there was no way i could do my work.To make a long story shorter......I went through steriod injections and blocks and i walked with a cane for a while and they still said there was nothing wrong I was out of work about 2 and a half years. in 2000 I moved to tenn (was in michigan) and worked as a temp for a short time got a full time position is a hospital and a HUC I can not rememebr when i felt well enough to do anything, I screwed up on this job and with the nurses and doc I quit before being fired a job i wanted to still try to help others turned into a job where i could hurt someone. I have not worked in a year about 3 weeks ago the doctore told me i had FIBROI have lost everythingmy career my social life a normal what do we do now! I have no income coming in I feel that SSDI needs to pay me i have paid my share in i am 4 point shy of being able to get my retirement. but there is no way in hell i can work.
    please help me understand what i am facing with this desease
    crying hurting a fatigued
    Annrenee
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

I am so sorry....you are having such an awful time of it, Ann. I can hear the frustration you have in your post. I, too, was the same type as you described yourself--well, until the rug got pulled out from under my feet, also. My best advice is---that now it is time for you, to take care of you. The more you try to push a rope the more coiled and messy it gets, and it won't go anywhere, it just stays put.
    So take care of the immediate needs at a slow and deliberate pace--the SSDI, any human resource funding you can get, like Medicaid, Food Stamps, etc. Don't get discouraged because all those seem to have roadblocks in place, but they can be circumvented, and progress made. Find an informed Doc, who can be your advocate. Through him find the means to control your pain, add supplements or meds to improve your sleep, and depression. Research how others are coping with this DD. Come to places like this for support. Most importantly, take care of yourself---don't overdue--ohhh that really makes matters worse, I can tell you. Treat yourself as you would have treated your most unfortunate, yet favorite patient, from your past work.
    Don't feel guilty about the unimportant, mundane, day to day chores that don't get accomplished.
    Use that hardworking, mother hen disposition that you described to care for the most important patient of all--You!
    Best Wishes,
    Karen
  4. Darla5010

Darla5010 New Member

That was a wonderful reply. Ann, I also couldn't work for so long and trouble with boss understanding, etc. I applied for Social Security Dissability and filled out all papers, etc. Got turned down. Had to hire a attorney who works for people like this and filed again and recieved it the same day as my hearing. I was re-imbursed payment to the last day I could work. This is in Pennsylvania. But, it is a federal program, so it should be the same, I would think. My family doctor was a great help to me and filled out anything I needed. I also had to get the doctors reports from all the doctors I had been to up to that point so I could take them to any new doctor I went to. But the SSDI will send for the doctors reports themselves and your x-rays,e tc, so they have them themselves.
    One thing I have found out is you are constantly trying to find a doctor who you can relate to and who understands you and can help you. I have had 2 neck surg. and presently have more neck disc bad and lower back also. This makes it worse due to the pain you get from that besides the fibro. Good luck and take it one day at a time and find a good doctor. Darla
  5. jeanann

jeanann New Member

this too shall pass. Right now is the time to really take care of yourself. The worse thing for us is stress. KAren made good sense. When you asked what do we do, we accept a little at a time. We learn one day at a time to manage this disease and to make the life changes necessary to live fairly decently. Youv'e come to the right place. keep coming here and giving us updates and venting. Try to stay calm, breath and take a nice warm bath. Then started eating the elephant one bite at a time.
    Prayers jean ann
  6. jeanann

jeanann New Member

this too shall pass. Right now is the time to really take care of yourself. The worse thing for us is stress. KAren made good sense. When you asked what do we do, we accept a little at a time. We learn one day at a time to manage this disease and to make the life changes necessary to live fairly decently. Youv'e come to the right place. keep coming here and giving us updates and venting. Try to stay calm, breath and take a nice warm bath. Then started eating the elephant one bite at a time.
    Prayers jean ann
  7. fibolady

fibolady New Member

just a {{{{{hug}}}}}} from a board friend. don't give up on the SSDI, i think they will make exceptions when you are that close in points, a case by case thing.

overwhelming is one of my favorite words for this dd. you have a lot of good advice from above, just take one little thing at a time, especially today! hope these replies will lighten your load a little for you to have a better day.

warm regards, fibolady