Overactive bladders play with the mind

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Aug 9, 2008.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

23 July 2008
    From New Scientist Print Edition. Subscribe and get 4 free issues.
    Bob Holmes

Enlarge imageTHE urge to pee too frequently might literally mess with your mind. Experiments in rats show that an overactive bladder changes brain activity. If the same is true in humans, it could in part explain the disrupted sleep, reduced ability to concentrate and confusion that often accompany ageing.

"If you have an overactive bladder, you don't just have a bladder problem. It has neurobehavioural consequences," says Rita Valentino, a neuroscientist at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania.

As much as 17 per cent of the US population is affected by the disorder, which is characterised by uncontrolled bladder contractions, leading to frequent urination. It is often caused by a partial obstruction of the urethra, such as in men with enlarged prostates. Valentino and her colleagues mimicked this in rats by surgically constricting the outlet from the bladder.

When the team scanned the rats' brains they found increased activation of a region of the brainstem called the locus coeruleus, which helps control alertness. In normal mammals, this region is activated only when the bladder is full, and helps the animal to disengage from other activities. In rats with overactive bladders, however, activation seems to occur continually. An overactive locus coeruleus triggered increased and disordered activity in the forebrain, which controls higher brain function (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, DOI: 10.1073/pnas.0800969105). In people, this is likely to lead to anxiety, disrupted sleep and other behavioural problems.

The study is the first to show that a bladder disorder can have a direct effect on brain function. "This helps complete the puzzle of why overactive bladder symptoms are so disruptive to quality of life," says Craig Comiter, a urologist at Stanford University School of Medicine in California.

Bowel disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome may also overactivate the locus coeruleus, which would help explain the psychiatric disorders that often accompany IBS, Valentino says.
  2. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

thanks for the post. I definitely know it can drive you crazy!
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

often fail to recognise how what's going on in the body can adversely affect the brain.

Many here report improvements in mood, sleep, cognition skills, thyroid function etc by following protocols aimed at treating various infections, toxins, and health issues that have a knock on effect upon the brain.

tc, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/09/2008]
  4. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

No wonder I'm such a mess. Someone in Chat was saying that fresh lemon juice in water in the morning is good for your bladder so I'm giving it a try. I have noticed before that that my body like lemon mineral water but this is more lemony. Lemon makes the body more alkaline which is helpful because many diseases like ours make the body too acidic.

Some people are surprised that lemon makes you more alkaline since it's citric acid but it does. It has to do with how it's metabolized by the body.

[This Message was Edited on 08/10/2008]
  5. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

I feel like I have to go all the time and when I do I get very little results.

If I'm away from home I wear a pad because I WILL have an accident as sometimes I just can't stop or control it.

Thanks for the info.

6. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

my entire academic "career"! I had a TERRIBLE time in grade school, SO fatigued and distracted. At least until I went to college where I was able to somewhat redeem myself because I could control my schedule.

I have had SEVERE bladder frequency since early childhood. I remember many nights crying on the potty because I was exhausted by having to get up SO often and often having very little to show for it. Sleep was so ragged. By the time I was in my 20's I actually resorted to a potty under the bed to try to minimilize the disruption of getting up so often (I was single!).

Thanks for the info.