overactive immune system

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by krissy888, Jul 23, 2006.

1. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Hi,
    I have been tested for different parts of my immune system and I have very high killer cell activity and very low killer cells. My cytokines/TH1/TH2 are normal. I never get sick!!!

What can I take to balance my immune system? I am already taking Fish oil which is suppose to reduce killer cell activity. ANy other ideas????

Thanks, Kristy
  2. maverick76

maverick76 New Member

It is used in autoimmune diseases to dampen down the immune system and is tolerated very well with minimal side effects.
  3. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi Kristy,

As far as over-the-counter supplements go, you are on the right track with the fish oil. I have also read that Omega 3 fatty acids are good for proper immune system function. I believe those are found in some fish also. I have heard to stay away from the Omega 9's - they cause inflammatory symptoms.

If you have not been diagnosed with an autoimmune disease your doctor probably would not give you a prescription immunomodulator. I have Crohn's disease and I am on a medicine called mercaptopurine (also known as 6-MP). It is similar to methotrexate. It is an extremely powerful drug which downregulates the immune system just enough to keep my symptoms in remission. However, I do find that I am more susceptible to colds, flu, and other infections because of it so I have to be very careful. I will most likely be on this drug, and others, for the rest of my life.

You might have something going on in the autoimmune department the docs haven't found yet.

Michelle
  4. Windytalker

Windytalker Member

I've had only 2 colds in 5 years. That's it. I take fish oil alternating with cod liver oil. I figure all this will eventually catch up with me. My system will totally fail. But, in the meantime, I like not being sick. I've enough to handle with this DD. I figure, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  5. Michelle_NZ

Michelle_NZ New Member

A friend who is a naturopath told me that Bromelian and Querctin help wth this. Please do some reasearch first before spending any money.. I may not have remembered correctly!

Take care
    Michelle
  6. tandy

tandy New Member

I was looking into taking an immune modulator too.
    ( immune balance)
    Something called RM 10 made by Garden of Life sounds great!!!!!!!!
    I have'nt ordered it yet as I'm still researching and trying to make a good choice. But this one looks/sounds really good~
    Google search it and read up on it.
    Let me know what ya think,K?????
    Hugs
    Tandy
  7. Chootik

Chootik New Member

Just wondering what test did you take that measured your TH1/TH2 balance???

I've been wanting to test these but my doc doesn't really know about these test.. so if anyone here has some info, please share.

Thanks,

chootik
  8. dononagin

dononagin New Member

It does sound confusing I know.. CFS.. used to be called Chronic Fatigue Immune Disfunction.. So an overactive immune system can cause trouble when you have a disfunctional immune system as it tends to over-react.. sometimes attacking the good cells that shouldn't be attacked. I don't know if I'm explaining this right..

I know that for me I have to be really careful. When I first got sick I tried all these herbs that supposedly improve your immune system.. All I got was sick, sick, sick!

I think I'm botching my explanation.. I'm not having a clear thinking day!
    hope this helps a little..
    hugs!
    dona
  9. karinaxx

karinaxx New Member

you are expl it right. i am curious about the test which have been done, krissy. i did write something about autoimmune reactions and cfids some monthes before and i am still convinced that is more often, than not, a big part of this dx. the problem with balancing the immune system. same as donovan i tried supplements and boosters and the result is that i can not walk anymore at days with one leg, showing MS symptoms on top of the usual cfids sy.
    i got so much worse. the only thing what realy helped me is an ayurvedic mix, antiinflammatory and taken in high doeses also an immune dampener. But i did have side effects, my athma got worse (mycoplasma inf.). so, i think we are playing with fire, when it comes to stuff which has not been tested specificly for the illnes. i would not recomend to try things just randomly and i would talk if, possible to an neurologist. i am trying that now, but i think your doc , who has tested you, seems to know more than many others.
    love karina
  10. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

I was checked for these things my my reproductive immunologist or I would not know a thing about killers cells, TH1/TH2, etc. I have fibro.

My problem is that it is hard for me to get pregnant because my immune system is so activited. Therefore, it sees an embryo as an invader and attacks it.

THe reasons I asked about things that could help is because I wanted to try to balance it out on my own. THe treatments that my doc uses are very very expensive ex: (IVIG)-thousands of dollars.

Hopefully this will answer some of your questions.
  11. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

My doctor has been testing me over a period of time to see if I ran consistently low, and I did. IgG's and IgM's sublcasses were low and I continually got upper respiratory and sinus infections.

The treatment was IVIG.

Because I have not had a sinus infection or respiratory infection requiring antibiotics in the past four months, he is holding off on treatment.

Do I understand correctly, the poster above states her IVIG treatments are for an overactive immune system. The treatment will be IVIG.

I would be receiving it for a system that cannot fight infections.

Also, I have allergies which are consider "over-reacting" or dysregulated immune system.

I am a little confused.

June

12. krissy888

krissy888 New Member

Yes, this is correct. The treatment on a reproductive basis is IVIG for high killer cell activity. The purpose of this is to downregulate the killers cells so they will not kill off an embryo. I know, very complicated but true.

13. 2YUNG

2YUNG New Member

Hi Kristy,
    You mentioned you have killer cells. What kind of doctor diag. these? I need to have my 15 yr old daughter get tested for other things, and this soundslike it could be right up her alley.
    Thanks
    Debbie