Overdosing on vitamins and supplements?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Kacjac, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I completely believe in taking vitamins and supplements, let me go ahead and get that said!
    But the other day, I heard a Dr. on television, that was basically against them.
    He said if you eat good nutritious foods, you will get all the vitamins you need, and if you take more ie: vitamins, you will be overdosing.
    The way I see it , there's a whole lot of people, that just can't eat perfect everyday, and need a little extra help.
    such as someone being low in iron.
    And how would you know your overdosing anyway?
    I thought most vitamins that are not used up, just leave your body anyway, but I do know that there are some which can build up a toxicity.
    So now this Dr. just has me confused a bit!
    What say, my Fibro Family?????
    You know, sometimes we are smarter than they are! <wink>
  2. ladude

ladude New Member

Government studies from the 1940's have shown that the soil has been depleted of nutrients from over-farming that the vitamin content of the food is much less than what it should be, even organic produce.

Also, hours after produce is picked it begins to lose potency. By the time it gets to the store it may have been picked weeks or even months ago and sitting in a wharehouse and lost much of it's original value. Some is even picked green and then gassed to force it to ripen. It is still a billion times better than junk food, but vitamins are necessary in the stressful and polluted world we live in.

Vitamins are necessary especially if sick. But yes you can take too much of anything even water. Most vitamins will pass through if they are water-soluble. Whereas fat-soluble are stored in the bod. Such as A and E and others but I am drawing a blank right now.

I was doing 70 to 80 vitamins daily but have cut back because of the cost. Besides being such a pain, I think it can be a strain on the liver. Perhaps the more natural brands less so.

Not taking too many different ones at the same time is best. Taking vitamins early in the day and minerals in the evening is helpful.

Hope this helps,
    LAdude

3. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

4. kjfms

kjfms Member

...yes taking more, vitamins and supplements, than the RDA(Recomended Daily Allowance) or more than a physician has prescribe for you can be harmful to your health.

Everyone should check with you physician.

You can also google drugs.com to get information on the one you are taking, you might be shocked on the information.

There can also be adverse interaction between vitamins, supplements, and medication.

Many vitamins and supplements can affect blood test and physicians should know everything we take including OTC (over the counter).

We should all be careful, do our research, and always check first with our physicians and pharmacists for more information on vitamins, supplements and our individual conditions just to be on the safe side. :)

Of course you can also have allergic reactions to vitamins and supplements.

Vitamin E for example:

Symptoms of a vitamin E overdose may include fatigue, weakness, nausea, headache, blurred vision, flatulence, and diarrhea.

Before taking vitamin E, tell your doctor if you are taking warfarin (Coumadin). You may not be able to take vitamin E, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment.

Thank you,

Karen
  5. justlooking

justlooking New Member

There was an article a couple of months ago in Womans Day or Family circle (can't remember which) about this topic. A person can OD on almost all vitamins, minerals and supplements. The article outlined the most dangerous ones and what the symptoms were of ODing on them. Some can cause serious problems if you take too much.

Many products nowadays are enriched with vitamins and minerals to help people get the necessary nutrition but this along with taking vitamins and minerals orally can potentially cause problems. Check your breads, cereals, juices and other foods/drinks to see what they are enriched with and how much if you are also taking multi-vitamins or other types.

I know of a child who accidentally took too much Iron and got brain damage!! He took WAY too much but it just shows that even vitamins and minerals can be dangerous and should be stored like medications (away from children).

JL
  6. kbak

kbak Member

I am a big believer in supplememnts. The problem I ran into is you can actually take to many. Our systems don't move things through fast enough, and you can get things built up in your system.

This is what happened to me. I was taking far to many supplements, and it was making me feel worse not better. So I've had to really watch what I take.

K.
  7. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

They aren't nutritionists and should leave it to the professionals. And he is very wrong.

there are certain fat soluble vit/mins that will store in the body and not be excreted in urine if there is too much, like most nutrients that are water solubale. These are vit. D, E, A, but the toxic doses are pretty darn high, and the rest of vitamins can be taken in mega doses w/ rarely an ill effect. Iron can be esp. toxic if too much is taken, and any mineral can accumulate in the body if too much is taken for too long, because minerals store in the bones and sometimes in tissue.

but you have nothing to be concerned about from taking multis, even if they far exceed the RDA, which any good one will, they are perfectly safe for adults. It's still good to keep them away from children because of iron content though.

Jeanne
  8. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Jkfms is right.

My college degree is in Nutrition and Dietetics. We studied a lot on vit/minerals.

It is true that most of the food in the grocery store is fortified with enough nutrient that even people with poor eating habbits are likely to get most of what they need. This was done to counteract the nutrient deficiencies in children years ago.

It is also true that overdosing is possible especially with the fat-soluble vits A,D,E, and K which tend to linger in our systems. It is not wise to go over the RDA on those unless guided by a physician or dietitian.

Also, it doesn't always help to take high doses of certain vits/min as they will only be absorbed in smaller amounts. Example: Calcium - taking more than 500mg at a time is useless. It should be taken in 500mg doses three times a day for optimum absorption.

And, combining certain vit/min can either be helpful or harmful. Iron is absorbed better when taken with orange juice (citric acid).

Lastly, deficiencies do still exist - especially when there is some other breakdown in the body which interferes with the absorption of certain vit/min. Supplements can and do help when taken wisely.

Hope this isn't too long.

Sofi
  9. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Jkfms is right.

My college degree is in Nutrition and Dietetics. We studied a lot on vit/minerals.

It is true that most of the food in the grocery store is fortified with enough nutrient that even people with poor eating habbits are likely to get most of what they need. This was done to counteract the nutrient deficiencies in children years ago.

It is also true that overdosing is possible especially with the fat-soluble vits A,D,E, and K which tend to linger in our systems. It is not wise to go over the RDA on those unless guided by a physician or dietitian.

Also, it doesn't always help to take high doses of certain vits/min as they will only be absorbed in smaller amounts. Example: Calcium - taking more than 500mg at a time is useless. It should be taken in 500mg doses three times a day for optimum absorption.

And, combining certain vit/min can either be helpful or harmful. Iron is absorbed better when taken with orange juice (citric acid).

Lastly, deficiencies do still exist - especially when there is some other breakdown in the body which interferes with the absorption of certain vit/min. Supplements can and do help when taken wisely.

Hope this isn't too long.

Sofi
  10. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

YES, absolutely we do.

I cook super healthy for my fiance. He's very healthy, no major medical problems in his life. But he was getting colds and flus about 4 per year. He, like too many people think thisis just normal in N. America, but it's not. Since I've convinced him to take a cheap garden variety multi, he hasn't had a bug in almost a year. Since I've supplemented heavy myself, I hadn't had a cold/flu in 4 yrs, most of the credit for that goes to megadoses of vit. C every time I think I feel a bug nipping at me. Goes to show you.

Jeanne
  11. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

It was great feedback, and I learned alot.
    There was a great varities of answers, looks like you just have to educate yourself, and make your decision from there.
    This is interesting, maybe more ppl will add to the discussion.
    Thanks,Karen
  12. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Regarding vitamins especially D, I don't get that as I don't go out in the sun much and I can't eat dairy due to lactose intolerance, so I take a multiple vitamin with no iron in it. I don't think I need that as I am post menopausal.

I can always use the calcium and the other minerals in the vitamins as I have gastroparesis and who knows how much I'm absorbing from food?

I wish you, Kacjac, would mention the name of the doc you heard mention that on TV. I'm sure it is allowed on the board.

Hugs,
    Faye