Overload of emotions and body

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JimCoyote1942, Jun 26, 2006.

1. JimCoyote1942

JimCoyote1942 New Member

I have just returned from a three-hour trip, each way, to Methodist Hospital in Houston. I saw a neurologist and a brain surgeon and was treated grandly and with great compassion. However I must return again tomorrow and next Wednesday for further test. After that I will need about 25 treatments to the brain on a daily basis for my non-malignant tumor. The surgeon says it must be stopped, or I will lose hearing in one ear and might have facial paralysis that is disfiguring. The problem is that this will mean renting a room or apartment and living in Houston in the hottest part of the year. My anxiety is about my mental conditon. I am severely fatigued and handling this could be traumatic. I do not relish living alone in a big city in a small room when I am ill. My family and friends can help a little, but they have their own problems, some worse than mine. Bright sun and heat are a major psychological problem for me and I have a long history of depression. On the good side Cymbalta and Lyrica have helped a bit with the pain and fatigue, but the improvement is small.

I know there is not solution for all this but any support is welcome. I am no longer even semi-tough. I am feeling like a lonesome cowboy.
  2. kjfms

kjfms Member

I am so sorry that you have to go through all of this and I sure do wish you the best.

I used to live in Houston years ago HMH is a good hospital from what I have heard. I took a quick look at their site and they offer (I was pretty sure they would) support groups and the like for patient in your situation.

I think you should check with them and find out what they can offer for you hey it sure can't hurt and it may help a little.

Wishing you the best and sending you good thoughts.

Hang in there cowboy there is a light at the end of this tunnel.

Here is the Methodist Health site, now even though this will take you to cancer support page most hospitals offer the same on brain tumor support survices. I do hope you will call and ask about thes survices.

http://www.methodisthealth.com/cgi-bin/hmdim/home/centersOfExcellence.do?channelId=-1073829325

Thanks,

Karen
    [This Message was Edited on 06/26/2006]
  3. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Dear Lonesome, I sure do understand why you wouldn't want to move there, even temporarily in the heat, and I assume from what you say that you'd need to go alone. Sometimes, just when you think it can't get any harder....... right?

Being tough, my friend, isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've found that one thing I do overly well is worry, get a case of the What ifs? Finally I've found that if I take things one day at a time I can do whatever I need to do.

"Everything I need to know is revealed to me. Everything I need comes to me. All is well." Say it over and over until you commit it to memory, then do what you have to do. When you find yourself starting to stress, say the affirmation immediately and keep on keeping on.

Do you have a laptop? We'll go with you. :>)

Hugs,
    Marta

And I just thought: Look what you already did today! See, one day at a time.[This Message was Edited on 06/26/2006]
  4. housatonicman

housatonicman New Member

go to Dr. Joe Mercola's site and download the EFT manual. It is a simple, direct way to deal with emotional distress.

Has helped me a lot.
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I can't offer you much more than support and caring. You have had some good suggestions from here already. I hope you can stay with us at least while you go through this.
    I hope you can let them know how difficult it will be for you. They should be able to offer you some help.

Take care and keep us posted
    Kathy.
  6. dleaning

dleaning New Member

Wow, you do have a lot on your shoulders. I can't even imagine the stress and worry that you must be going through right now. Like one of the other posts said, take one day at a time.

I am a worry wart too, and I worry constantly about the stupidest things. Don't worry about your mental condition, it is in part from the tumor, I would think, but then again, I would do the same thing. I am always worrying about my fears.

Please, don't forget that there are people out there that care, and I wish you the best.

Dawn
  7. findmind

findmind New Member

I think the hospital would be able to offer you some services, that's really good advice.

Can you contact an AA group there? They may be able to give you lots of support! Also, maybe Dr. Patrica Salvato's office there in Houston would have some answers for you. She has the world's best office manager, I've heard, and she treats AIDS and CFS patients, and she knows of tons of services available to patients.

Can you look into "group housing" of some kind, there in Houston? Maybe dr. salvato's office or social worker at hospital know of such. you then wouldn't be alone, and there would probably be someone in the housing that would love the chance to get out and go with you to treatments!

We are here for you...maybe the hospital has a computer room you can use to keep in touch with us if you don't have a laptop. Or, can you rent one?

Let us know what you decide and find out, ok,

There's always hope!
    findmind
  8. JimCoyote1942

JimCoyote1942 New Member

Thanks wonderful people for your help. I will certainly follow up on these ideas just as I did when I asked for help before. You all are SUPER!!
  9. kjfms

kjfms Member

I don't know about anyone else but I am a sucker for cowboys...LOL

that and you seem like such a swell fellow.

You take care of youself and let us know what is going on.

Have you ever been in the live chat rooms? They are a hoot! I am going there now if you need to talk.

Karen
  10. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

AA sounds good. If there's an Emotional Anonymous group, that might help also.

If you don't have a laptap, maybe you can keep in touch w/ us thru a computer at the library.

Lots of luck.
  11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Why don't you rent a room in someone's home. Many people rent out rooms and it can be very nice, and economical.

I am sorry about your tumor, thank goodness it is benign.

I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers.

12. sues1

sues1 New Member

At least this is what I have seen and read. Just make sure your horse and you have shade and plenty of water and try and enjoy what you can of all.

New experience and land. Take back some good memories.

Make a written journal to reflect back on later. Take a couple of books with you that you have been wanting to read.

Wish I could offer more. But I am sending you much with love, blessings and prayers...
    Susan
  13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Honora is feeling a bit less than her usual marvelous self right now but she asked me to send you this message:

"I can't manage more than one post. Would you tell the lonesome cowboy that I say "Hey" and that I know he will get through all and will look for and take support. Tell him I know he is tough enough to do that and that I'm cheering for him."

Whatever else your circumstances you sure seem to have a big fan club! That lonesome cowbody with humility thing will get us every time! ;>) Knowing I have all those good people believing in me would sure motivate me! I hope it works for you. Keep in touch.

Marta

[This Message was Edited on 06/27/2006]