Overwhelmed with which suppliments to take....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Maribelle, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Maribelle

Maribelle New Member

I recently went to the health food store and spoke with the clerk about what I should be taking for FM. He recommended for starters:

Calcium Magnesium Softgels (vit D 400 IU, calcium 1000 mg, magnesium 500 mg, zinc 15 mg)

Magnesium 100% Chelated High Absorption (fully reacted/not buffered 200 mg, black peppered extract 4 mg)

B-12 / 5,000mcg / B-6 & Folic 800mcg (micro-tabs instant dissolve)

My rx's are: Cymbalta 60 mg; Hydocodone (as needed); Premarin (hormone due to total hysterectomy); Xanax (as needed). I do not like to take drugs especially pain killers and
    mood altering meds, so I take them occassionaly and cautiously.

I try to eat healthy but am not really able to exercise. I do work and that keeps me going.

I have researched and researched this site about what to take. I no longer have medical
    insurance and I am trying to take a more wholistic (if possible) approach to this DD.

ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. I also have limited funds...ugh.

Thanks and God Bless,

2. Maribelle

Maribelle New Member

for getting back to me so quick. Who tested you for these deficiencies...a regular M.D.?

I will look up your threads to learn more. What I get overwhelmed with is the dosage and how many types of suppliments I should be taking.

You've helped me with this info....

Thank you!

3. annaviva

annaviva New Member

If there was only one supplement that I was allowed to take out of my very very long list of supps, I would take D-ribose. It's the only one that produced a clear improvement in me. Although it didn't fix me, it gave me enough to get me out of bed and be vertical to attend to some errands by myself.

Dosing is very important. I tried it once with improper dose and it didn't work. Take as Dr. Teitelbaum recommends: 5g x 3 times daily for at least 2 to 3 weeks. Perhaps after, you can reduce it to twice daily. I found I need to keep it up at 15g/day.

The cheapest I could find it was at swansonvitamins. Easy to take - it's powder to put in any liquid and practically with no taste, just a bit sweet.
  4. layla1954

layla1954 New Member

I second the vote on d-ribose. It's expensive but if I miss it for a few days I really feel a drop in my energy. I get it from vitacost.com.

I'd also suggest coQ10 (I take 200 mg) and fish oil.

Acetyl l-carnatine seems to reduce my morning stiffness.

Everyone is different so there's a lot of trial-and-error in finding the supplements your body wants most..... good luck and hang in there! I take literally handfuls of supps every day.... I hate taking so many pills, but I've been able to get completely off some of my prescribed meds and reduce others, so I guess it's worth it.

Lee Ann

5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Maribelle - You should be taking a good B complex vitamin, along with your other B's. I think the liquid type mght be better absorbed. It's just strongly recommended that if you are taking any B vitamins by themselves, take a B complex as well to keep them in balance.

Fish oil is a good source of omega 3 fatty acids. Flaxseeds (ground) and flaxseed oil are too, and I think these are important as well.

You might consider switching from Premarin (estrogen from pregnant horses) to estradiol, which is plant-based and bio-identical to what our bodies make. It's cheap.

I don't have FM, just CFS, so can't recommend more. Good luck!

6. Maribelle

Maribelle New Member

I am going to consider several of these suggestions. Looks like for now that I should get some lab work done. I really want to get off rx drugs if at all possible....especially premarin!

Again, thanks!!!

God bless ~

7. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I use many supps & find them helpful, however their help has been in the context of doing several other holistic treatments. Many FM sufferers benefit from dietary changes and hormone balancing. As you continue your research, I'd encourage you to look into these things.

Health food store clerks are an OK starting point for researching supps, but you'll be best served by expanding your knowledge base & understanding of FM beyond their recommendations.

If funds are limited, please consider using the inexpensive resources of your local public library to educate yourself. There are two books by Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D. that I would recommend: Pain Free 1 - 2- 3 and From Fatigued to Fantastic. Teitelbaum talks about both conventional and alternative treatments, with lots of commentary on supps, pros and cons.

If your library doesn't own these books, check at the info/reference desk to ask whether they can be obtained for your use through a program called ILL, or inter-library loan. There is sometimes a small fee for ILL services, but it's usually a fraction of what the book would cost.

If funds to purchase supps are limited, ask for samples at your HFS. You can also contact manufacturers via email & ask for samples. It's not uncommon to discover that a given supp doesn't agree with one.

I've found the lowest prices on supps are available online, but you want to research shipping costs if you order that way. Pro Health offers many supps & has a 60 day money-back guarantee.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/19/2009]