Overwhelmed

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by diricha, Oct 10, 2002.

1. diricha

diricha New Member

I am so overwhelmed with everything right now. I have FM. I'd give anything for one day of rest. I've worked horrible hours this week. The women here at work are petty, catty, and act like they are in junior high. They make me sick. This weekend I have 20 things to do. The way I feel, I'll be lucky to get one done.

I'm so exhausted when I get home from work, I don't do anything. I feel horribly guilty because my house looks like crap, my husband does the dishes more than I do (believe it or not, I don't have a dishwasher), I'm always asking the kids (ages 12 and 9) to do little things for me. I've always been the caretaker. Now I'm not. It makes me very sad. I don't want the kids to remember their mom as someone who laid around all the time. I'm not the same person I was 10 months ago.

I'm switching primary care doctors, after 3 years. I loved this doctor. I referred people to her. When I saw her about this, I was given the impression she feels FM is "all in your head". She told me I needed counseling. From labs that office visit she found out I was anemic and told me to get an EGD and colonscopy to find the source of blood loss. I JUST had an EGD 2 months ago. Showed GERD and chronic gastritis, no bleeding. I have no signs of a lower GI bleed. I've had horrendous, frequent periods for years. I've told her this. She blows it off. So I sent myself to a gyno. When I told him about my periods and the frequency, he said "That's why you're anemic" Well DUH!!! This convinced me to switch PCP's. I see a new one in two weeks. If I don't like him, I'll find another. I will find a doctor who is not patronizing about this DD.

Just venting here, because I know this is the place to do it.
  2. diricha

diricha New Member

I am so overwhelmed with everything right now. I have FM. I'd give anything for one day of rest. I've worked horrible hours this week. The women here at work are petty, catty, and act like they are in junior high. They make me sick. This weekend I have 20 things to do. The way I feel, I'll be lucky to get one done.

I'm so exhausted when I get home from work, I don't do anything. I feel horribly guilty because my house looks like crap, my husband does the dishes more than I do (believe it or not, I don't have a dishwasher), I'm always asking the kids (ages 12 and 9) to do little things for me. I've always been the caretaker. Now I'm not. It makes me very sad. I don't want the kids to remember their mom as someone who laid around all the time. I'm not the same person I was 10 months ago.

I'm switching primary care doctors, after 3 years. I loved this doctor. I referred people to her. When I saw her about this, I was given the impression she feels FM is "all in your head". She told me I needed counseling. From labs that office visit she found out I was anemic and told me to get an EGD and colonscopy to find the source of blood loss. I JUST had an EGD 2 months ago. Showed GERD and chronic gastritis, no bleeding. I have no signs of a lower GI bleed. I've had horrendous, frequent periods for years. I've told her this. She blows it off. So I sent myself to a gyno. When I told him about my periods and the frequency, he said "That's why you're anemic" Well DUH!!! This convinced me to switch PCP's. I see a new one in two weeks. If I don't like him, I'll find another. I will find a doctor who is not patronizing about this DD.

Just venting here, because I know this is the place to do it.
  3. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Diricha--I know exactly how you are feeling. I just switched primary care physicians, as mine just kept giving me this "baffled--you can't be serious about all these symptoms-- look", and refused to do squat. Changing physicians has given me a whole new outlook, raised my spirits, and given me hope. I think perhaps its having an advocate, a proactive course of action planned, and the validation of someone believing me...that has led to the improvement emotionally.
    I know what you mean about having an overwhelming list of things to do--What has helped me...is writing my list, and picking only the most very important items from it. I see what I can delegate to others (there is no shame in asking for help). Some things I find on my list really are not necessarily "have to do right away things"...I carry them over to the next list.
    I have 4 kiddos, and like you, was the caregiver. But in order to function at all, I have turned some of my caregiver duties over to others. My husband does the grocery shopping for me. The kids have loved learning how to cook meals--Really, for too many years, I did everything, and that was not helping to build my children into independent and capable, adults. So instead of the guilt and sadness you are feeling, consider that you are making them stronger, and more self reliant, not to mention more compassionate for those less fortunate.
    Best Wishes,
    Karen