Oxycodone 12 hr release?????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gelicab, Feb 25, 2006.

1. gelicab

gelicab New Member

I have had Fibro for more than 3 years. I'm now taking Lortab and Soma but since I've been taking this for so long the meds have no effect on the pain anylonger. I have a nice new job but it requires that I work wierd hours. I need to get a prescription for Oxycodone 12 hr release and am going to the dr on Monday. Im curious if anyone else is on this medication and if so do you have any side effects that I should know about? At this point the Soma/Lortabs only work if I take more than 2 of each at one time. Then I'm high "not just pain relief you know?" then that feeling subsides and the pain is worse. Its like a visious cycle.

Monday I'm going to see if the doctor will help with this prescription of Oxycodone... Any suggestions??? I am also taking Nuerontin 300mg 2 at bedtime and pain patches Lodine patches 1-2 on my legs/back every 12 hours. I just need something to work better than these meds...

Thanks
    Angelica
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

If Oxycontin is the same as MS Contin - I was on MS Contin before - It did remove the pain completely.

Since this is morphine, there are definite side effects. Mine was nausea and vomiting, rashes, severe constipation, no appetite at all. (I lost alot of weight).

I started on Oxycontin and slept all day, even on 10 mg. I switched to MS Contin 15 mg and increased to 30 mg twice a day.

I was determined never to increase over 30 mg twice a day (60 mg day) In about 6 months time, my body was asking for more of the drug. It would wear off a few hours early, plus I was very irritable which is a sign of withdrawal.

At that time, I decided to go to the doctor and get off opiates completely. Fortunately, I found a doctor who was able to prescribe a medication called Subutex that allowed me to get off MS Contin with no withdrawals, however it has been a long recovery.

Perhaps everyone does not react the same to these drugs. Hopefully you will get responses from others with better experiences than mine.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/25/2006]
  3. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Angelica .. I can give you a positive perspective to the time released form of this drug. It does not eliminate all of the pain but most of it so I can get things done.
    It is an easier method for me although I have altered the timing of when I take it (not a full 12 hour schedule)
    I take it at 9 in the morning and 5 PM .. almost my old work hours ..

This part is important .. I take a generic anti-nausiant ? travel sickness pill .. In Canada it is "Gravol" .. I don't know what they call it in the States .. but I buy it at Wal-Mart for a very good price, "Equate" store brand .. I'm used to it so it doesn't make me sleepy but it stops me from getting sick from the pain medication ... it might help you if you feel that way too.

Next is very important as well .. the constipation factor is a real problem .. I take the generic senna/stoole softener EVERY night .. it is also a WalMart brand which is half the price of the name brand .. their brand is "Equate" in Canada .. I'm sure you can find it there too.

Going on the time released helped a great deal .. I don't overload by mistake .. but I do also have break through pain meds when I have a flare. Hydromorphone ..
    I have a few other health issues .. thyroid meds .. low dose hormone pill .. but things have gotten a lot easier with the fibro meds since I have been switched .. late last Fall.

So I would say it has been a positive change for me .. I hope you will find the same thing for yourself !
    Remember what I have pointed out to help with the possible side affects .. it really does help .. and plenty of water/fiber too !
    Good luck and let me know how you do ?
    Best wishes ! Fudge from the other side of the border ? haha !
  4. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I was prescribed oxy 20mg time released to take every 12 hrs. I must say it may have taken the edge off but it never really got me thru the day actively as a "normal" person.

Most people recomend asking for something for the 'break thru" pain and i agree since it didnt get me thru the day. i do have a scrip for soma(my fav..my muscles are so tight)

If you get the time released oxy remember it comes in different mgs and you may not want to start out on 10s since your body is already used to pain killers. I would also recommend a stool softener. I never had a prob like that in my life....just a mild one and you should be fine

best of luck keep us informed...lin-z