Oxycodone and Lortab?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hagardreams, Jul 13, 2011.

1. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Does anyone else take oxycodone, and lortab together?

My doctor gave me some oxycodone to take with my lortabs for the break-through pain. I have never taken them before, and even though I have heard they make you feel good, I am still kind of leary. I have such bad reactions to meds, of all kinds. He said to cut the first one in half, and see if I can take them or not.

Thanks for any advise!
  2. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Hi Julie!

The only times I have taken Oxycodone was after surgeries and the only side effects I had were feeling even more tired than usual and a little itchy. I found that when I took the max dose I was really itchy but with the minimum dose just a little itchy. I would definetly look it up on the web and see what possible side effects you could have or talk to your dr. or pharmacist esp. since you are taking other meds. I'm sure you will get lots of replies on this so good luck and I hope your pain lessens.

Faith and Good Health, Julie
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Julie
    Oxycodone is basically Percocet. The Lortabs are vicodin (hydrocodone) The Percocet is usually a little stronger than vicodin. I went from Norco to Percocet. I am now on Roxycodone which is oxycodone without the Tylenol. I found it much more helpful.

I'm surprised your Dr. put you on that for "break-through" pain. Not that there is anything wrong or alarming about it, but usually someone is on a long acting med, then they are given a short acting (like lortab or percocet) for breakthrough.

Since you're already on Lortab, I'm going to bet that if you're pain is severe and you need the extra med for breakthrough, it will probably only help you. Just take the half and see what happens.

What dose etc. are you on?

Good Luck!
  4. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

He gave me 5mg, I guess that is the lowest they make.

I tried to get the script filled this afternoon, and realized that it was for the capsules. So I have to wait another day to get the script fixed. He told me to take one half at first, so I guess he just had a lot on his mind.

I dont like the idea of taking them, but with this pain, I am ready for anything right now. I just hope they work for me.

He did say that if they work, I probably will not take the lortabs anymore. He said that he is more worried about the tylenol in my system, than me being on a stronger pain medication. I get that, but I am still worried! I know that the fibro isnt going away, ever, but I dont like the idea of being on these. Maybe the oxycodone will work, and I can just take less lortab, we'll see!
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

I, personally, think taking Percocet and Lortab is too much. I would just take one or the other. I would try the Lortab first. The less narcotics you can get by with, the better. If the Lortab doesn't help, then I would try the Percocet. But both are too much in my opinion. I would not take both.

With one of the above, I would try other meds with it, like Neurotin or Lyrica, Cymbalta, and a muscle relaxer like Zanaflex (there are many muscle relaxers).
  6. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Well I have tried lyrica, cymbalta, sevella, ect, and cant take them. Not everyone can take them.

I personally was the one that didnt want to take lortab, but when I did, I found that I had somewhat of a life again. At least being able to get out of bed.

I wont be around much longer, so as far as having too much, it doesnt really matter. That is not an issue for me. I am ready to go anytime!

JLH, you must not have as bad of pain as I do, or you would not say that.

I take pride in taking care of myself. 38 years of type 1 diabetes, and I am still here, with all my limbs, eye sight, ect. If I didnt take care of myself, I would have been gone a long time ago.

If I could find something that would work for me, I would take it in a heart beat. I have been to the EMR so many times in my life, just from side effects from medications. So when I find something that works, I will stay on it. I dont think taking lortab for over 5 1/2 years is that bad. I have only increased a few times in that time. I think I have done pretty good!

Why the doctors dont want me on muscle relaxers is a good question. None of them have seemed to want me to take them.

I think my biggest issue isnt just the fibromyalgia. Its the added diabetic nerve pain, on top of the fibro, and the arthritis pain. Its a never ending battle with my pain. It doesnt just come and go like fibro alone, its here 24/7.

7. earthdog2000

earthdog2000 Member

Dear Julie,

Awwww, it brought tears to my eyes when I read the last reply of yours. I am SO sorry that you are in so very much pain! I'm sure that with all of your DD's having pain symptoms that you are indeed in a lot of pain. When you said you would not be around much longer anyways it truly made me sad.......I can only imagine that you would say that because you are and have been suffering so much with the extreme pain. Please don't worry so much about the pain meds or what others may say, I would go by my drs. orders and take the extra pain meds! If anything, just to get yourself out of such a terrible flare.

I don't think that taking pain meds for 5 and a 1/2 years is bad considering all of your other DD's besides fibro! I have been on Vicodin for 11 years and my dr. has no problem with that. I have my yearly blood tests and have never had any problems except my last one and that was my cholestral was a little high. I'm sure that you are taking good care of yourself with the diabetes esp. after having it for 38 years! I have many family members ( on my hubbys side ) that have diabetes as well as 2 very close friends and so I know a bit about it. The only one that has had serious problems is my step-father in-law who is an alcohlic and takes many different pain meds a day. He just had his leg amputated about 2 months ago and is now saying with my SIL. He has stopped drinking and only takes the meds prescribed by his dr.. We are so very happy that he is now taking care of himself!

Don't say that you won't be around much longer because you will! The way that you take care of yourself is an indication that you will live a long life and hopefully will get better. I say, take the pain meds as your dr. precribed so you can get out of the pain cycle then you can enjoy your children and grandchildren for they are the joy in our lives! I am so happy to hear that you have such a wonderful husband who supports you so much! I too have a fantastic husband who has been there for me since day one and continues to be supportive, helpful and loving! We are two very lucky women just for that reason alone!!

I hope that you get to feeling better real soon so you can enjoy life's many blessings. What I do when I am in a lot of pain is pray a lot, read inspirational books, listen to my favorite music and talk to friend's and family when I am having a decent day. Of course, I also vent and reply on this msg. board for it is truly a godsend! There are so many caring and loving ppl. on this board. I come on every day now that I am off work and filing for disability. I was just dx'd with Bipolar II about 3 months ago. Between trying to stabalize that with new meds and having a lot of pain and fatigue with the fibro and CFS my husband and I decided that it was time for me to stop working so I could finally get better!

Take care sweetie and I hope that your pain eases. Keep us updated on how you are doing, okay? BTW, I love your name,lol!

Faith, Peace and Healing, Julie
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

No one can tell you that you're taking "too much". First of all you are on a very low dose and even if you weren't, it would only because you've moved up over time, which is perfectly NORMAL.

People that don't suffer the never-ending pain really don't understand what it's like. We are NOT wimps because we need pain medication - actually I think it's the opposite, we struggle every single day, we keep going and going with pain that most people can't comprehend. Not acute pain, but CHRONIC pain.

If you or your Dr. are concerned about the Tylenol, like I was, there is an oxycodone that does not contain any Tylenol. As I mentioned, that's what I take, the name is Roxycodone.

IF you needed the extra benefit of Tylenol, you can always take one with your medication if you find it helpful on those really bad days.

When I was diagnosed, both my diagnosing rheumatologist, my regular PCP and my treating rheumatologist all told me that I could very likely need to take medication for the rest of my life. I didn't take that as an absolute, nor as a negative actually. Instead I took it as Dr.s that understood what Fibro is all about and how debilitating it can be to some of us.

I say, THANK GOODNESS, if you can find something to help. It can make the difference between and life that has come quality and a life that makes you wonder if you can go on.

Happy to help you with pain meds if I can. I've been through them all. My Dr. considers me to have a severe case of Fibro. I can't imagine dealing with all of the other things you're dealing with. Just relax, find something that works and find some happiness!

Thinking of you...
  9. emah

emah Member

Thank you for your reply to Julie,

It was also a reply for me as well and I guessing a lot of other people as well. Again, thank you
  10. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Well I finally took a whole pill today. It took me a while to figure out how to take my pills through out the day.

So far, pretty good. I did have a spell where my heart seemed to pound somewhat, but realized that it was my blood sugar. It was somewhat high. Now that I have that down, everything seems fine.

My doctor said something about eventually getting off of the lortab, but so far they dont seem to be upsetting each other.

Like I have said before, I dont really want to die, but if I dont want to live the rest of my life in pain. I just cant see that I am going to be around much longer, and the most important thing now is that I have something to get me through the day.

I am still having pain, but today was the first day in a very long time that I was able to feel somewhat human again. Lets all just hope that someday they will find a cure for this disease, and we wont have to worry about taking meds for the rest of our lives!

We'll see how tomorrow goes!

11. hagardreams

hagardreams New Member

Well I am very jittery, and nervous, and sick to my stomach today. I dont think I can take these.
    I did some reading, to try to keep my mind busy, and realized that its probably the codine. I have had codine in the past, and it has always made me nervous and jittery.
    I put a call into the doctors office like he said to do, so we'll see what happens.
    I just know that this is not working!
  12. limbo

limbo Member

I lost a daughter Dec. 18 to suicide and I think she thought she biopolar. It has been painfull beyond words.

What our the symptoms, she was beautiful, was 49 and on wellsbutrin, which is a mistake, I have a son who is biopolar since he was seventeen. He was born 1956. It has been a hard road, but he is okay. I have fibro, ibs but actupuncture helps me. It has been a life saver for me.

My daughter was always a hard worker, sensible also had fibro. They had a huge financial loss after 27 years of marriage. There daughter was emotional crippled because they gave her whatever, auto's she totaled from drinking. Her dad made her play sports, he wanted a son really. She developed an eating disorder her senior year.

She has a bi-racial grandchild, a single mom, and my daughter loved her, but again did too much. She was the major breadwinner in a job she detested. Her husband worked with her Dad, my ex and played every sport. Her Dad died a horrible death with heart problems, when he retired her husband went into his own bisiness as a handyman, repair,etc and didn't pay IRS. He didn't keep his bookeeping up, so she did it. They lived a high lifestyle, built a new home, and another to sell. The market fell, meantime he was still playing.

She had a stepdaughter, who is on is on her second marriage and a new grandson. She was abusive to my daughter, so she wouldn't be around her. Her husband wouldn't get counseling on this, so on the 18 Dec. when her in-laws had thier xmas, she stayed home and hung herself.
  13. hurrycane

hurrycane New Member

have you found a new doc in okc yet? i've been following your search-
  14. pamelakc

pamelakc New Member

I have Fibro, diabetic neuropathy, & arthritis. I know what you mean about balancing the pain of fibro and neuropathy it is difficult. I do not understand the dr's resistance in giving you a muscle relaxer, I am sure there is some reason but I don't know what, I currently take Vicodin, Soma is my muscle relaxer, & neurontin, however my pain level is high but I have been on the same level of vicodin for years 5-325mg so I may need a higher dose. Have you ever been on Neurontin? For your neuropathy? Maybe that will help. Hope you find something. gentle hugs Pamela
  15. dzlady

dzlady New Member

I am currently taking oxycodone/percocet. I had a hysterectomy on the 28th of july and was prescribed hydrocodone/loratab. I explained that loratab does not relieve any pain for me, at all. So they gave my percocet instead. She explained that eventually, you will build up a tolerance for the loratab and that percocet is a different drug that usually works well. Yes! It does! I havent had much pain since my surgery, but I have been taking the percocet like prescribed too. It's been taking care of all my pain, fibro pain, surgery pain, migraine pain, any pain that I have been having..gone!

You do whatever is needed to be pain free. That's my advise. And dont worry about anything anyone else has to say negatively about it. Pain is not something I enjoy and hoping that I have less pain, now that I have had my surgery. Sending pain free prayers your way :)

16. keke466

keke466 New Member

It sounds like you've found someone since the last time I was here. I'm in OK and was curious who you're seeing.