oxycodone for neck, shoulder pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bigmama2, May 20, 2006.

1. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

Hello everyone,

For the first time in my life I was having such bad neck and shoulder pain that I asked my doctor for strong pain relief. I am now taking oxycodone for pain, 600 mg motrin for anti inflamm/pain, and someting to relax muscle spasms. The pain is lessening but boy am I out of it!!! I had a cervical spine (neck) x ray and I'm going to a phycical therapist on Monday.

I have had CFS symptoms without pain for 10 years, and this is my first experience with bad constant pain. I am praying this is just some neck problem, and not the start of fibro. Now that I've experienced this pain, I really feel for all of you with pain. It sucks! The only time it doesn't hurt is when I lay down, or sit in a lazy boy type chair that supports the neck.

Does anybody have any advice about taking this oxycodone medication? I'm only supposed to take 1 every 4 hours, but last nite it hurt so bad I took two.

Take care everyone, BigMama2
  2. shelby319

shelby319 New Member

because I'm also one of those with Fibro that have shoulder, neck and arm pain constantly. I am so sorry that you still feel pain even after taking the oxycodone. Is it the kind like Percocet or just the oxy with no tylenol? I've had both and have had to take two at once as the Dr. said it was ok to do. It does make you a little woozy if your not used to it at first.

Did it help once you took the two pills? I started to have trouble taking it as I had to end up taking too much, so they switched me to the time release form of oxycontin every 12 hrs for pain and its helped alot. But at the same time, when I have a bad flair up, I also have to take something for the breakthrough pain as they call it.

I hope this isn't the beginning of Fibro for you, but just maybe a kind of flair of some kind..... maybe because of the weather or something else perhaps? I was just recently diagnosed with Fibro about 5 or 6 months ago, but had symptoms for along time, which included a bad car accident that really messed up my back and neck and jaw, so this is why I had started with the oxycodone first and sometimes lorcet or vicodin. So I have been on along list of many different types of meds for a long time now.

I hope you do get some kind of relief with the medication and that I might have helped you a little, as I'm so new here, but I just wanted to see if I could help and lend some support.
    Feel better real soon and I'll keep you in my thoughts!
    Shelby
  3. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

Hey Shelby,
    I am taking the percocet kind with tylenol. It is helping. This painful experience really has given me a glimpse of what it is like to have cronic pain. Boy it is rough. I think for me it will get better, but I know not everyone is so fortunate.

I read your profile and wow you have been through alot with the car accident and all. I'm glad you have recoverd so much from it, and I wish you less pain.

These meds have me so out of it, it's hard to type, and focus. Man, no one should have to go thru life like this.

I think I'll go snuggle with my dog. That's always good for a lift!
    The BigMama2
  4. megchampagne

megchampagne New Member

... but it didn't do a damn thing for me.

I was doing 5 mg twice a day. You're not supposed to take 10 mg at once, because it knocks you out -- which is fine if you want to take it all before bed, but it will make you sleep for like 9-10 hours.

Overall I don't have any problems with this drug and if i works for you, that's great -- it just didn't solve any of my pain problems at all. :(