Oxycodone shortage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Janalynn, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Went to fill my prescription today - my pharmacy was totally out - I must have called 15 pharmacies - no one had any, called 5 more, they had maybe 10 pills. Apparently there is a huge shortage, back order. The problem is if you fill a partial (less than you Rx) you have to fill the rest within 72 hrs of you forfeit your prescription. Learned something new!

I also learned through speaking with some VERY nice pharmacists today that a lot of people are obviously in a lot of pain in my relatively small city. Many of them told me how many they were "cleaned out of" by patients in the last 24 hrs.

I had to get a partial fill - finally found at a hospital no less who couldn't even give me the whole amount! A couple of the pharmacists told me one manufacturer was backordered until May.

No need to tell me alternatives, thank you - I will talk to my doctor, have also tried many others. Just wanted to pass this info along. Obviously the doctors are not aware of this (at least that's what I heard)

Thought it was interesting.

2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

This is for straight Oxycodone - without Tylenol (so not Percocet that I know of)
    However, my regular pharmacy did tell me that they heard that some types of hydrocodone (vicodin) were possibly going to be on backorder.

3. kjfms

kjfms Member

My physician wrote me a new prescription for hydrocodone and Wal-Mart, of all places, stated that it could not be filled. They also stated that they would not have any until after the beginning of the new year. I was lucky and CVS was able to fill the prescription. I had no difficulty with my next two refills.

4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

Are you on the ER type? Because Oxycodone is the generic for OxyContin. There was a lawsuit which OxyContin won so they cannot make certain mgs of Oxycodone anymore. You HAVE to get the name brand OxyContin. I have been doing that for the last 5 months. It will be a very long time before there is any Oxycodone ER available.

Now the short acting Oxycodone I am not sure about, I only know about the ER version (OxyContin ER) that I am taking.

I have had zero problems getting my Vicodin filled though and I get quite a few at once and my pharmacist has not even mentioned that there will be a problem with the Vicodin.
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

It's the immediate release Oxycodone - not the Oxycontin. I also take the Oxycontin (ER) - I remember last year when the generic was no longer available because of the lawsuit.

It was just amazing to me when I called all of these pharmacies and as soon as I mentioned it before they'd even check they'd say "oh boy, I don't think so, but let me check"..then to go on to tell me about the nationwide shortage AND all of the other patients around here who are obviously taking it! I just couldn't believe that I couldnt'even get my full prescription at a hospital pharmacy- and they're the only ones who had any amount worth getting.