Oxycodone VS Oxycontin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by skippy007, Sep 20, 2008.

1. skippy007

skippy007 New Member

In reading the posts here, is the difference in these two drugs that the oxycontin is time released but the drug itself is the same? Thoughts, suggestions - Thanks
  2. wangotango

wangotango New Member

you are right oxycontin is the 12 release and the oxycodone is for break thru pain or instant release.
    i have been on them for years. i take 80 mgs of oxycontin 3 times a day and have what they call oxy IR"S 5mgs for the break thru pain. but it is the same thing .
    good luck bill m
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm looking at my bottle of oxycodone and it says generic for percocet if that gives you a better idea.

I take Oxycontin - ("contin"uous relief)2-3x day. if I need to.

I also have a form of Oxycodone that does not have any Tylenol in it that is I believed actually called Roxycodone (sp?) (Percocet does)
  4. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

You used to be able to get Oxycodone ER which is the generic for Oxycontin (I used to take it). But due to a court case they are no longer allowed to sell the generic version of Oxycontin (so that is what I take now). I think in a few years they will be allowed to dispense Oxycodone ER again...it was a patent issue.

So the difference in Oxycodone and Oxycontin is that one is time released and one is not. They do have Oxycodone that is intended for immediate release. Anything that says Oxycodone/APAP means that it is mixed with Tylenol.

So in essence Oxycodone and Oxycontin are pretty much the same drug it is just the way they are released that is the difference. It's the Oxycodone that is mixed with another drug like Tylenol that makes a difference and that would be Percocet.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/20/2008]
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Good explanation dragon..

Oh yeah, I remember when Oxycontin couldn't be prescribed or filled as generic anymore. (remember all the trouble Doxygirl had!!) Thank goodness for insurance. I looked at what mine cost and it's over $650.00!

skippy - are you just wanting clarification or are you needing to try one or the other?
  6. emah

emah Member

Well this was not ony interesting but very informative. I take 10 mg of oxcontin every 12 hours and oxcodone for my breakthrough pain. Neither seem to work that well for me. Even wtih my insurance they are expensive so right now I am having to deal with this awful pain.

My next appt isn't until oct 23rd, so I will have to dealwith it. Hopefully I will be able to get my meds at the end of the month. It just disgusts me how expensive meds are considering how much they sell.

thanx for the explanation.

7. skippy007

skippy007 New Member

Thank you all for replying. I always learn alot here on this board. I have been given Oxycodone 10/325 generic for percocet. It does help but I can get a little itchy. I am thinking of asking about the Oxy with no tylenol. I did post another topic on fentanyl patches - I have those too but am hesitant to start. I do want pain relief but so many side effects. It seems when I get enough sleep (7-8 hours with no interruption) I always feel better. But sleep is inconsistant and I use restoril for that. So. . . . . . the story goes on and I continue to do research and try to make the right decision. I need some energy too - I am really dragging - no sleep and chronic pain = YUK -- Thanks to all