Oxycontin and constipation........eeeeekkkkk!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kadywill, Nov 24, 2002.

1. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Anyone aware of anything in a pill form, short of dynamite, to cure this problem?????? Madwolf and I discussed it a few days ago and the problem is no better. I cannot drink liquid forms of laxatives~~I throw up.....
    I even had to resort to a triple H enema the other day after I had not had "anything happen" for well over a week. Now, it has been three days since the enema results and nothing is happening again. I eat plenty and I drink a gallon of water a day...or more! I walk at least a mile and a half a day in addition to keeping very active around the house. This is occurring as a result of starting Oxycontin and I have been taking 2 PeriColace caplets twice daily since starting the Oxy. and no results except from the enema that day. Bulk laxatives don't help.....things are bulky enough, I assure you! I hate to have to take a stimulant laxative routinely, but this is what it's gonna take. I had never had an enema or a laxative in my life; not even prior to childbirths, so this was not an easy thing for me.
    If anyone knows a good laxative that won't KILL me, please let me know. I have only recently started this med and it's helping the pain/fatigue SO very much; I won't stop taking it. BUT, this is a big problem and not a healthy thing to be experiencing.
    Please advise!
    Love,
    Kady
  2. kadywill

kadywill New Member

Anyone aware of anything in a pill form, short of dynamite, to cure this problem?????? Madwolf and I discussed it a few days ago and the problem is no better. I cannot drink liquid forms of laxatives~~I throw up.....
    I even had to resort to a triple H enema the other day after I had not had "anything happen" for well over a week. Now, it has been three days since the enema results and nothing is happening again. I eat plenty and I drink a gallon of water a day...or more! I walk at least a mile and a half a day in addition to keeping very active around the house. This is occurring as a result of starting Oxycontin and I have been taking 2 PeriColace caplets twice daily since starting the Oxy. and no results except from the enema that day. Bulk laxatives don't help.....things are bulky enough, I assure you! I hate to have to take a stimulant laxative routinely, but this is what it's gonna take. I had never had an enema or a laxative in my life; not even prior to childbirths, so this was not an easy thing for me.
    If anyone knows a good laxative that won't KILL me, please let me know. I have only recently started this med and it's helping the pain/fatigue SO very much; I won't stop taking it. BUT, this is a big problem and not a healthy thing to be experiencing.
    Please advise!
    Love,
    Kady
  3. tamara123

tamara123 New Member

Eat a couple granny smith apples...it always works for me !!!! Even when I dont need it too. Tamara
  4. amilyne

amilyne New Member

hi kady ...i work in a hospital and ususally all the docs perscribe senokot 2 tablets at bedtime of this for narcotic related constipation and it is safe to use along with the colace 100 mg. the senna is i beleive 187mg tablets. i hope that helps
    ami
  5. Ness

Ness New Member

I know the problem well....I too have had this since starting Oxycontin..what has worked the best for me is taking the Colace....and each morning drinking a warm cup of Prunejuice..before I eat breakfast..this has been working pretty well for me..

When it get real bad I will take 2 senekot and the colace and that always works if I get too backed up...but this hasn't been neccessary since I started the prune juice.

I also eat very light and have to really cut back on , bread, cheese, nuts things that really can plug you up...

I hope this will help you ....it's a shame we have to suffer with this crap!! LOL when the Oxycontin is helping our pain so much..

Peace and Smile
    Ness
  6. Grams

Grams New Member

Fruit Paste Recipe

1 lb pitted prunes
    3-4 oz senna tea leaves
    1 lb raisins
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 lb pitted figs
    1 cup lemon juice

1. Prepare tea: use about 2 1/2 cups boiled water, add to tea leaves and let steep for 5 minutes.

2. Strain tea and remove tea leaves.

3. Place 2 cups of tea in a large pot.

4. Add all the fruit to the tea.

5. Boil fruit and tea for 5-10 minutes.

6. Remove from heat and add brown sugar and lemon juice. Allow to cool.

7. Use hand mixer or food processor to turn fruit and tea mixture into a paste.

8. Place in glass jars or tupperware and place in freezer (paste will not freeze but will kep for ever in freezer).

SUGGESTIONS FOR USE: Can be spread on toast, eaten straight from the spoon, mixed in hot water, used as a fruit topping on cereal. Your imagination is the only limitation.

If the fruit paste is not working (you are not having bowel movements) then you need to increase the amount of fruit paste you are taking.

If the fruit paste makes you have very loose stools then you need to cut down on the amount of fruit paste you are taking. Perhaps even taking it every other day in some cases.

7. kadywill

kadywill New Member

I'm taking notes! I know the fruitpaste sounds good and I know Senokot S worked well for my patients at work, so I'll try both! Thanks so much!!!
    Love,
    Kady
    [This Message was Edited on 11/24/2002]
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I had that problem all my life! Not from meds, just me.

But the 'Natural Calm'(by Natural Vitality), powdered form of magnesium citrate is absolutely great! It taste like an Alka Seltzer, can you handle that? Personally I like the taste. I guarantee you will go just fine, or maybe a little more than you expected! It also helps with the Fibro pain, it will stop my spasms in about half an hour. It is sold at most health food stores.

Also to get 'started' you might want to try Glycerin Suppositories untill you can get those bowels moving again. But they can make you dependent on them if you use them too often.

The warm prune juice is good, and some people can just drink apple juice and it works.

Sure hope it all comes out well!

Shalom!! Shirl
  9. achy

achy New Member

I never had a problem with constipation - mine was always the opposite, not being able to stop going, LOL
    So this was a new and frustrating experience wiht the Oxy.
    I found if I take magnesium (which you should be taking anyway) will help if taken before bed with a full glass of water. After about two weeks things started flowing again.
    I also did the prune juice (gag). Oatmeal for breakfast will also help. Bulk works wonders....
    Hang in there, it should get better
    Warm Fuzzies
    Achy
  10. kadywill

kadywill New Member

everybody! I HAVE BECOME ONE OF THOSE BOWEL-FIXATED PATIENTS I have always laughed at. I will report to you that today, all is well in this department!!!! Now, on to better things to talk about...................

Love,
    Kady