Oxycontin-Can dose be prescribed every 6-8 Hours vs12

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by siestasuze, Apr 24, 2007.

1. siestasuze

siestasuze New Member

I am currently taking oxycontin 40mg every 12 hours. I also take 1 5mg Oxycodone PER DAY for breakthrough pain (which does absolutely nothing!) However, it is only giving pain relief for approximately 6-8 hours. I know through researching that this is common!

I really don't want to increase the dosage (neither does my Dr.), but was wondering if it might help to take the "total daily" dose of 80mg and break it up into shorter time intervals? For instance, 20mg every 6-8 hours, which is still maximum of 80mg per day.

Is anyone or has anyone tried this and does it help with breakthrough pain?

Also, does anyone know if Dr.'s are allowed to write a script for Oxycontin, 12 hour Rx, to be taken differently, like every 6-8 hours instead?

Please respond if you have tried this dosing technique or are currently using it!!! I would like to suggest it to my Dr. but would like to know if it helps from someone who has already tried it. My Dr.'s appointment is Mon. April 30th, so I am greatly anticipating your responses!
    THANKS!!
    [This Message was Edited on 04/24/2007]
    [This Message was Edited on 04/25/2007]
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Very interesting.... I also had that same experience with MS Contin. I would call the pharmacist and ask if this is possible, they are usually very helpful.

It probably would not hurt to try what you are suggesting. Most doctors would probably increase the dosage, however you could add something for the breakthrough pain, like a low dose of Lortab. I never thought of trying what you suggest but I might try it if I were you.

Unfortunately, I can't take MS or Oxycontin due to side effects, but I know it really kicks the pain.

Another thought, you might call the manufacturer - they normally have info or help line. Ask them also if possible.

3. skikat

skikat New Member

I HAVE THE SAME TROUBLE WITH THE OXYCONTIN 12 HR. WEARING OUTABOUT 6 HOURS BEFORE IT IS SUPPOSED TO. MY MD. GIVES ME PERCOCET TABLETS TO TAKE FOR THE BREAKTHROUGH PAIN. SO I HAVE BEEN ON THAT FOR ABOUT A YEAR OR SO. NOW THAT IS WEARING OUT AND I TOLD HIM THAT I DONT HAVE BREAKTHROUGH PAIN ANYMORE. IF I HAVE "ANYTHING"-- IT WOULD BE BREAKTHROUGH COMFORT! THEN I MIGHT NOTICE IT MORE. HE JUST LAUGHED. BUT THE PAIN IS JUST GETTING SO BAD AND NOW HE HAS TOLD ME THAT I CAN TAKE UP TO 3 PERCOCET EVERY4 HOURS DURING THE TIME THAT I AM THE WORST. I ALREADY TAKE 1 PERCOCET EVERY 4 HOURS AROUND THE CLOCK ALONGG WITH THE MORPHINE. BUT, I WENT TO UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS A COUPLE WEEKS AGO AS THEY MONITOR ME ALSO, AND MY DR. THERE SAID THAT SHE WOULD HAVE HIM CONSIDER LIQUID MORPHINE IN THE LAST HOURS WHEN THE OTHER WEARS OUT, SO I GAVE HIM HER NOTE AND HE SAID THAT WE WOULD SEE ABOUT IT AROUND THE IST OF THE MONTH. HOPE THIS HELPS, BUT I WOULDNT DO IT WITHOUT THE DR. KNOWING THAT YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE A CHANGE IN THAT TYPE OF MED. GOOD LUCK ... SKI
  4. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I take Mscontin 3 x a day. So yes it can be prescribed that way. But you really need to talk to your doctor and discuss why your hurting so much. What is the cause of your pain. I started out taking 1 pill twice a day but for me it didn't last for more than about 4-6 hours. Even then I had days where the pain never ended for me.

For me I was seeing a pain doctor who was willing to increase my pain meds till he found a stregnth as well as the dosage. I hate to admit that I am taking this med as people tend to "gasp" when you say what your taking for pain. ""You can't hurt that much" How can you take so much and still be awake?"

I asked my md was this horriable pain just from the fibro? And I was told NO! I learned that I have buldging discs , spinal stenosis, facet syndrome, radulopathy{sp], end -stage osteoarhritis in both knees. And a tituim plate in my left wrist. I think I am falling apart faster than I wanted to . I forgot to add the rest of the problems. Fibro and CMP.

I so want to not need to take this medication. Yes it works well for me and makes my life bearable and I am able to do more now that before I was taking it.

I wish that I didn't have the condtions that I have so that I would not need to be on a strong pan med like I am on. I was so worried about becomming addicted to it . I get told that often enough as I am a klutz ,{ has nothing to do with the fibro, CMP bad back or knees, I can and always have been able to trip over my shadow.}

I have rewritten this post several times now explaining my reasons why I don't want to be taking any pain meds. But you don't need to hear that it was not the question asked here.

So yes Mscontin , Oxycontin can be prescribed more often than every 12 hours. Most doctors here in Utah don't like to prescribe it more than the 12 hours. But some do. Mine is one of them.

So talk to your doctor and explain how your meds are working for you , are they giving you enough pain relief? That is the big question to ask. I have a really great doctor who listens to my questions and he has helped me a great deal. I hope that your doctor is that way as well.
    I hope this post is helpful to you. Sorry about the medical history you got with it. I tend to share more info than is needed.
    ~HUGS~
    Rosemarie
  5. munch1958

munch1958 Member

I was having trouble with pain relief not lasting 12 hours. My doctor prescribed 20 mg. of Opana ER 2X. Opana ER is the "ramped" up version of OxyContin for people who don't get pain relief with Oxy. So far so good. According to my doctor the dose is not high enough if pain control does not last the full 12 hours.
  6. OhWhatPain

OhWhatPain New Member

Well your all right about oxycontin not lasting 12hrs, but it usually is only prescibed up to every 8hrs..Someone else said to use the Oxy IR for breakthrough pain..This is correct.. You want a long acting and a short acting pain medicine..The doctor is not going to write two short acting drugs like lets say (Percocet & Lorcet), but Oxycontin (Time released) and a Lorcet,Percocet,Roxicodone are all fine combos..For me I use Oxycontin 20mg one to two a day and Roxicodone 15mg (15mg Oxy IR) every 6hrs as needed.
    I switch my short acting Roxicodone with Opana 10mg every time I need a refill..I did the Opana 20 ER and Opana 10mg immediate release, but I didn't care for the Extended release of this medicine the immediate release, which comes in 5mg an 10mg is a good pain medicine. If you haven't tried Opana its worth a try. Now Opanas conversion doesn't seem to be correct at least not to me and my physician said the same..Meaning this. If your on Oxycontin 20 mg then this would be equivilant to Opana 10mg ER. Well I was on Oxycontin 20mg and used Opana 20mg ER and wasn't impressed so I know Opana 10mg would have been useless as well, but as I said the immediate release Opana 10mg is a good switch off drug for breakthrough pain.

YMMV

Paul C
    Wv
    Respiratory Therapist
    [This Message was Edited on 05/03/2007]
  7. distressed100

distressed100 New Member

I am presently taking 80 mg of oxycotin 2x a day with 1 -2 750 mg percocet every 6 hrs for breakthough pain. I had both knees replaced last year and had had back problems for years. I was on crutches for about 3 mos. before they could do my knees. At first they thought the intense pain in my back was because of a bakers cyst that was wrapped around my sciatic nerve, during surgery they found that was not true. I have 2 completely herniated discs, 4 partially herniated, degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, etc. I am going to a neurosurgeon tomorrow and hope to get some help. I also have problems after about 6-8 hrs. that the breakthrough pain is awful. The oxy has given me the best relief so far but at the doseage I am on scares me because that is working less and less daily. if any one out there has any answers about using the oxy in smaller more frequent doses please let me know. The pain is consuming my life.
  8. Suzan

Suzan New Member

But I KNOW when it wears off! However..I also take hydrocodone w/apap 10/350s...for break thru pain, and I take 3 or 4 of those a day. Then I take baclofen at night for muscle relaxing to help me stay asleep and not have pain waking me up. That combination is working pretty well for me..but I do still sometimes have Pain! Please talk to your doctor...do not break up the oxy on your own..time release pills cannot be split. It sounds like he is willing to help you take care of your pain..and there are many options available!
  9. katsmi

katsmi New Member

because of ovarian cancer pain. She takes 20mgs. every 6 hrs. which seems to carry her through. She has 5mg. oxycodone for breakthrough pain.

She has had bad pain for years and this has been the only thing that has kept her from going to the hospital for pain shots, as she used to have to do.

Hugs,
    Kats
  10. OhWhatPain

OhWhatPain New Member

Yes the doctor could cut down the dose and increase the frequency, but that would be a big error..Oxycontin is generally considered good for 8rs so three times in 24hrs.
    If your taking 40 mg twice a day I would just ask your doctor if he/she would increase it to every 8hrs...Now when you start thinking about every 6hrs for a extended release medicine that ain't going to work..thats what short acting meds are for Oxy IR,Lorcet,Percocet,Opana,etc.
    One of the newer medicines out that is available in Extended release and immediate release is Opana ER & Opana.
    I didn't see anything about you having a medicine for breakthrough pain???? If not just keep your Oxycontin Every 12 hrs and ask for something to deal with breakthrough pain..I take Oxycontin 20mg and Roxicodone 15mg for breakthrough pain every 6hrs as needed (Roxicodone is a Oxy IR 15mg)

Paul C
  11. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

I have deleted my original reply as I was not implying you were going to break them. You had mentioned breaking the dosage and I was not for sure if you meant lowering to 20mg.

12. siestasuze

siestasuze New Member

I just love this site!! There is such comfort in knowing there is somewhere you can go and talk, vent, or ask important questions without feeling stupid! And to know that there are people like all of you out there who are going through the same problems as I am and yet take time to read about my or others problems, or pains and give suggestions and true HELP!

My fibro fog keeps me from coming here to this site as often as I like to. I am very humbled by how responsive all of you have been. You are all so kind and I want to thank each one of you for thinking of me by answering my questions, especially when you all have your own pain to deal with!!

P.S. Thanks for the Hugs and good wishes too.

Hugs to everyone!!!! suze
  13. JLH

JLH New Member

If you are taking 40 mgs of Oxycotin twice daily, I would doubt that your doc would want you to take it more often than every 12 hours. I would say that the doc would up your doseage of your breakthrough med--especially since you are taking only 1 Percocet per day. The doc could increase your Percocet to 1-2 every 6 hrs as needed. That in combo with your oxy would still be quite a lot of narcotic pain meds.

When you mentioned "breaking up your oxy" into 20 mgs in a shorter time period, I know you meant it by taking a smaller mg pill; however, for those who do not know--it is very important to NEVER break, cut, or crush a time-released oxycotin (or other time-released) pills!!!!! NEVER!! This is how so many drug addicts who do this (on purpose) overdose on it and die!! Just a reminder!