OXYCONTIN - Good and Bad Experiences please.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Rosiebud, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

My doctor prescribed oxycontin slow release a year ago but I had such a terrible reaction with sickness that I didnt continue with it.

I know that anti-sickness tablets can be taken.

Can you please tell me your experiences, good and bad with oxycontin.Does the sickness eventually go? Do you need a higher dose after taking oxycontin for a few months?

Any advice will help.

[This Message was Edited on 02/03/2009]
  2. moi482001

moi482001 Member

for almost 9 years. It was my savior. During the 9 years, I stopped since my dr. retired and I had difficulty in finding a dr. who would prescribe it. Never increased the dosage because of all the back publicity on this med.

The side effects are difficulty with going to the bathroom. Never experienced any other side effects.

It is very easy for me to know when I have forgotten to take my meds. the intensity of the pain increases. I always have my meds after breakfast and at nite after a snack.

Hope this helps.
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I just thought I'd let you know of another long acting med that I've just started w great results, Methadone. I also have Norco (10mg hydrocodone) for breakthru pain. I just finished posting about it, you might want to check it out.

My Dr gave me phenergan for nausea related to pain meds, it helps quite a bit.

Hope you figure out something to make life more liveable! Good luck.

5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I've been on it for over a year. What a difference! I was very reluctant - just because I was afraid of it I think. All of my doctors suggested an extended release med so that I wouldn't go through those peaks and valleys like the other ones give you.

I tried MSContin first - didn't do a thing for me. Nothin'! On my really bad days I still have horrible pain in my legs mainly, but this medication really helps a lot. And one thing I really like about it is that I dont "feel weird" on it. I don't feel anything - just relief.

Regarding the higher dose -that depends on you. Everyone is different, I started out low,(as all Dr.s should) then went up once, that's it and don't feel the need for a change. I would think that once you found your optimal dose, you'd probably be okay there for awhile unless your pain got worse. BUT of course, no one can really say.

6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

It has made a huge change in my life. It has made my life manageable. I did get some side effects at the beginning but once my body got used to the meds they stopped. I take either Phenegran and one other med that I can't remember the name of right now for nausea but I barely have any problems with that from the Oxy anymore. I have just made my first raise in my Oxy dose...I have been taking it for more than 1 year at the lowest dose there was and just this week had to up the dose. I understand from my doctor that just cause you up once doesn't mean the next upping will be as fast.

Take my mom for example she has been on Fentanyl for 6 years and has only upped her dose once.

I truly believe that I had to up my dose because my pain got worse...not because of the med not working as well or a tolerance to it. I had to up after a bad flare up and I think my pain never went back down after the flare and my pain was worse and that is why I needed more meds.

I have had no problems from Oxy and I have problems recommending it to someone under a doctor's supervision.
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

for your advice. I'm going to give it another try, I need some quality of life.

What you've told me has strengthened my resolve to give it a real go this time.

8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

You said something that I can totally relate to. I have told my doctor before (regarding short term meds) that I don't think it's because I've grown tolerant to anything that they haven't worked per se, but that I have never found the right dose. It was never like I got relief, then went on for a while, needing more...I never got relief to begin with. AND I believe my pain has definitely gotten worse.
    I have now felt at least a few days a month that I can say "wow, I haven't take anything for 12 hrs an I feel okay" Of course, there are those other days, that every 4 hrs I feel like I'm dying!
    That's where the OxyC comes in - really helps!
  9. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I was on Oxycontin and MS Contin for 9 months. I had a very bad time and found out later the reason was because I had undiagnosed gallstones. It is counterindicated to take opiates when you have gallbladder disease.

I was so sick all the time, could not eat, and lost over 50 lbs the hard way, starving and sick.

One good thing, the Oxycontin stopped my pain cold. It was the only drug that really stopped the pain. During that time I was on it I was able to get up a moving again.

I did develop tolerance and after a few months it was wearing off early and I would be in withdrawal. Anxiety, etc. When I realized I had to increase the dose a second time I dedided to get off it completely. I used a drug called Subutex to get off the Oxycontin with no withdrawal effects. Then the miracle happened,, the Subutex stopped my pain and had no side effects.

I have been maintained on the same dose of Subutex for over 3 years now. My fibro doctor has many fibro patients doing well on Subutex. The only other drug I take is Extra Str. Tylenol 1-2 a day.

You dissolve Subutex under you tongue 4 times a day. It stopped all my aching, pains, etc. I never had to increase the dose. It doesn't give you any high feeling, just rellieves pain.

10. fmar09

fmar09 New Member

I've been on Oxy for almost 8 years now. The first time I took it I got sick to my stomach, dizzy, and generally felt awful, and that was on 10mg. But after a little while, my body got used to it and it was no big deal. It did take some experimenting, but we have finally found a dose that helps. I take 40mg of Oxy, 3 times per day. One in the morning, one mid afternoon, and one early evening. Even though the medicine is supposed to be a 12 hour dose, I find that I can't last that long without it... the pain gets too severe. I also take 5mg Oxycodone if I have terrible pain and nothing else is working, I guess it's called break through pain, and that helps a lot. The key is to stay ahead of the pain. I can't forget a dose (my body won't let me anyhow) but if I'm late with my meds, it's much harder to control the pain at that point, than it is to stay ahead of it all the time.

Not everyone is the same. It took me trying different meds for a while before we came across this combo of pain meds. It doesn't make me feel "better", but it does make the pain somewhat more tolerable (at a cost though, because there are side effects).

Good Luck,
  11. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

It's been a couple of weeks now since I started the Oxy 10mg - not taking the slow release yet though I intend to start tomorrow.

I was nauseous for the first week but not now.

I have found such a difference - I have gone from lying in bed in a weak and painful state, being served hand and foot by my dear husband to getting up most days, getting dressed, sitting at table for my meals and going out every second day (if I want).

I have a life now - I am already thinking of where we can go when the weather gets better, not holidays but days out to the seaside or a park or museums etc.

I honestly cannot believe the difference this has made to me - I feel a bit buzzy, my speech is a little worse, my skin itches but nothing I can't handle.

So thanks for all your advice folks and to anyone considering this - give it a try and take anti sickness tablets with them for the first week.

12. ascare26

ascare26 New Member

I was put on oxycontin about 6 months ago, and also had a perkiset prescirbed if needed. The oxy really worked for my pain, but I absolutely hate being on it at the same time. My primary rhuem. was really unhappy I got put on it. I had severe mood changes, and depression issues. I was irritable all the time. It just masks the pain. Now I am trying to get off of it, and its extremely hard, not only because its addicting physically, but because it just something to instantly make the pain go away for a while. Now that I've been taking it less it makes me really tired, but when I was on it regularly it used to get my really hypes up, and productive. I hardly ever take it now, just on an extremely bad day, but I'm really not even trying to use it then. My advice is to not go on it. I thought it was the greatest thing for the first couple months, but later it definitely is not. only about 25-30% of rheumatologists prescribe it since its so intense. I hope this helps, I just feel so strongly about it. All my doctors are so shocked that I got put on it.
  13. ascare26

ascare26 New Member

Oh I posted that before I had read all of the responses. I still just take 10 whenever I really have a bad day and it helps. But what my doctor really made me understand is that you cant be on drugs like that forever, they are extreme narcotics. Its better to take action and help make the fibro manageable, through walking, yoga, alternative medicine, easier drugs, than going to such harsh meds. He told me he had patients who he has to give oxy to that take over 200 mg of, and they still dont think it helps since theyve been on it so long. So I was very annoyed when he said I had to go off of it, because like all of you, it really does help the pain. But now I just like having it as a backup. I am not on lyrica, and tramadol and they work great. I only take oxy once every few weeks
  14. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

thanks for replying.

This drug scares me too, I was first prescribed it back in April 2008 and then decided not to try it.

However I spend so much time in bed and my life quality is so low that I decided to give it a go and I'm glad I did.

I know I may not be able to take it all the time, that I will have to be weaned off it if I have to stop and it does make me a little irritable and agitated which I hope will pass BUT......I am going to take it as long as I can.

I have a life now, albeit still mostly indoors. I am no longer just lying there waiting on my husband to do everything for me - I even ironed the other day.

Thanks for your input and I'm glad you're getting some relief at least. I have had years of alternative medicines and trying to get better and all that has happened is that I have became worse so I have to try this.

[This Message was Edited on 02/17/2009]