oxycontin users......? regarding dosage

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by seaview, Apr 1, 2003.

1. seaview

seaview New Member

I am switching from Vicodin to Oxycontin. My doctor started me at 20 mgs twice a day. I am to let him know in 48 hours whether this amount is enough for me. I will be calling him tomorrow. After 4 doses I don't feel any relief. What amounts are you all taking as I am trying to get an idea about what is normal to need. I know we are all different and I generally need more of anything to make it work so what you take is just for my info.Thanks for responding. Also, did you notice alot of relief or just minimal and how long did that take.....again thank you for your time.....kathleen
  2. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Kathleen~~Although you will need some trial & error to find out what suits your needs, and Madwolf gave you some excellent advice, I will share with you what I take.

I take 20mgs of oxy 3x's a day plus 10mgs percocet 3x's a day for breakthrough pain, soma for a muscle relaxer 2x's a day, 1mg klonopin at night for restless legs & sleep--plus I can pinch off a half or fourth during the day if I need it, and because I also have degenerative disc disease and 3 kinds of arthritis--I take 20mgs of Bextra at night.

It took me about 10 days for the oxy to build up in my system and start getting some real relief, and since mornings are the hardest on me, and I work--I set my alarm clock 30 minutes earlier than I have to get up--when the alarm goes off, I take my 20mg oxy with one 10mg percocet and cozy back down in bed for 30 to 45 minutes before I get up to get ready for work. This really works well for me as I am out of pain by the time I have to get up. The soma helped tremendously to relax my spasms, muscles, joints--whole body, and the klonopin gives me quality sleep, and when I wake up in the mornings I am not nearly as stiff and sore--much more flexible.

Hope you get relief soon. So glad your physician is willing to work with you. Blessings, Carol....