OxyContin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suekoo, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

I read a great article in the February issue of Prevention Magazine called "You can stop the pain". The article encouraged chronic pain sufferers talk with their physicians about the use of OxyContin. The article stressed that if taken the way it's prescribed - by ingesting the capsule -it's highly unlikely you'll become addicted. If you are using this RX would you please tell me how it's working for you? Thanks
  2. merrybob

merrybob New Member

SUEKOO: I HAVE BEEN ON OXYCONTIN SONCE 1998. THEY PUT ME ON IT FOR CLUSTER HEADACHES AND THEN OF COURSE MY FIBRO AND CFS. I ALSO WORK IN HEALTH CARE (E.R.) SO I GET TO SEE A LOT OF STUFF THAT IS DRUG RELATED. MY EXPERIENCE HAS BEEN THIS, IF I JUST STOPED TAKING THE MEDS I WOULD HAVE SOME MINOR WITHDRAWL SYMPTOMS, NOTHING TO BAD BUT WOULD BE OVER IN A COUPLE OF DAYS. THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO SAY THAT BEING ADDICTED MEANS YOU WILL HAVE WITHDRAWL BUT IF YOU ARE NOT ADDICTED YOU DO NOT HAVE WITHDRAWL. I DO KNOW THE BODY BECOMES USED TO THE DRUG AND WHAT EVER THE DRUG IS DOING, THE BODY QUITS TRYING TO DO. EXAMPLE: IF OXYCONTIN HELPS KEEP ENDORPHINS AND ENKELPHINES IN THE BRAIN THEN THE BRAIN SLOWS WAY DOWN ON MAKING ITS OWN. SO WHEN YOU ABRUPTLEY STOP TAKING THE DRUG THE BRAIN GOES CRAZY TRYING TO KEEP UP WITH THE DAMANDS FOR ENDORPHINES AND ENKELPHINES. THATS WHERE THE WITHDRAWL COMES FROM. IT IS A PRETTY COMPLICATED DEAL BUT THATS WHAT I KNOW. A LOT OF THE PEOPLE WE TREATED FOR OXYCONTIN ABUSE WAS CHEWING THE PILLS UP OR SHOOTING THEM UP.PERSONALLY I TRINK ANY ONE WHO IS ON THESE KIND OF PAIN MEDS FOR ANY TIME AT ALL WILL BECOME PHYSICALY DEPEDENT ON SOME LEVEL. THAT IS JUST MY THOUGHTS. I HAVE BEEN ON IT FOR SO LONG MY TOLERANCE HAS BECOME VERY HIGH AND THEY MAY CHANGE ME OVER TO ANOTHER PAIN MED SOON. IT DOES WORK VERY WELL FOR ME. I WAS IN AN ER 2 TO 3 TIMES A WEEK WITH MY CLUSTER HEADACHES AND HAD TO OFTEN STAY OVERNIGHT FOR PAIN MANAGEMENT, AND NOW I HAVE ONLY 1 EPISODE EVERY 4 MONTHS. I ALSO THINK THE PEOPLE WHO BECAME ADDICTED WOULD HAVE PROBABLEY BECAME ADDICTED TO ANY THING THAT THEY WERE GIVEN.
    ALL IN ALL IT WORKS VERY WELL FOR ME, BUT I TAKE IT AS THEY SAY. GOOD LUCK AND BE WELL