Oxygen deprivation of brain in CFS after excersise

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, Dec 30, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

Here is part of a letter written to Dateline.

Testing revealed something interesting, and this sure does explain the way my brain feel like after excertion.

Here it comes:

"What was found was something that can't be found by any coroner on a dead body: areas in my brain that were low in oxygen to start with that became increasingly deprived of oxygen after the exercise, such deprivation lasting more than 24 hours after the exercise. That, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the hallmarks of CFIDS. That, ladies and gentlemen, is why CFIDS patients cannot exercise. In healthy people, including those suffering from "mere" depression, not only are brain oxygen levels higher to begin with, they INCREASE after exercise, such increases being sustained for 6 hours or so after exercise before falling to normal levels. People who exercise regularly feel good due to the rush of endorphins, increased oxygen and boosted metabolism generated by the exercise. CFIDS patients are forced back to bed for 24-48 hours after even the mildest of exercise due to their already oxygen starved brains being deprived still further, and the pain caused by the buildup of various chemicals in their muscle tissue. Other researchers have shown that merely thinking, such as that required to do basic mathematical calculations in the head, bring on the SAME reduction in brain oxygen and buildup of painful, even crippling, hormones and neurotransmitters in the body."

2. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

So that's what's going on when I exercise! My brain is starved from oxygen.

Very interesting article.
  3. ktpar

ktpar New Member

That is amazing. I was wondering why I would have to rest a day and a half after doing Christmas shopping. I would go later on in the day hoping to find an electric chair roundabout if I was too fatigued to walk around a department store. That is a real breakthru for the naysayers that say if you work out you feel more energy and won't be as tired as you were before. That is so not true with cfids. Are FM ans CFIDS diagnosed hand and hand by Dr's.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I wonder what would happen if we exercised with a bottle of compressed air... Dr. Wm Campbell Douglas recommends this for healthy people, 15 minutes of moderate exercise using compressed air such as the elderly use.

Here's some edited info from a website called 'breathing' about EWOT (Exercise With Oxygen Therapy):
    ---------------
    Exercising while breathing oxygen may greatly increase the amount of oxygen in the blood plasma, i.e., the nearly colorless liquid carrying the red and white cells. This can be determined by testing the blood oxygen level in the arteries or veins (but NOT with a pulse oxymeter as oxygen can be in the plasma but not transferable into the cells due to low CO2 levels. We address this later in this article).

Many contemporary scientists say you can't increase the oxygen in your blood by breathing oxygen. I disagree but for now let's let them get away with that. What they most likely means is that you can't increase the amount of oxygen in your red blood cells, which are responsible for transporting oxygen to the tissues. The reason the amount of oxygen in the red cells (hemoglobin and a key source of) cannot be increased is because, under most circumstances, they are already 97.3 percent saturated with oxygen. So it says a three percent increase will make little difference and the red cells won't accept the extra oxygen anyway.

This is true but the role of oxygen in the plasma (the nearly colorless liquid within which the red cells flow in normal blood) needs to be considered. The oxygen content of plasma can be significantly increased and thus oxygen will be "pushed" into the body's cells without the aid of the red cells. It's called the Law of Mass Action. If you build up the concentration of a certain component in a chemical mixture high enough, chemical combining will take place with other elements of the mixture that ordinarily wouldn't happen. In this way the normal "shunting" or oxygen's bypassing cellular uptake is partly reduced and the cells get some extra O2 anyway.

Most of the oxygen in the plasma under these high-saturation circumstances will be shunted/bypassed and "wasted" in that it will not be absorbed by the cells which expect to be "fed" oxygen by the red cells. But if only one-tenth of one percent of the oxygen gets through, and you offer your cells this extra O2 dose every day, there will be an extensive increase in your total tissue oxygen level. The objective is to keep the oxygen level of your blood as close to optimum (100 percent on the oxymeter scale) as long as possible; ideally, for life.

Quite often (but not always) after 15 minutes of EWOT, there is a dramatic "pinking" of a exerciser’s skin. If this can be seen by simple observation, then stands to reason that the tiny capillaries, vessels tinier than a strand of hair, are carrying extra oxygen to cells of the body. Mentl clarity may improve immediately as well as vision. Streaming, buzzing and tingling can be felt in different areas of the body.

Presumably, although this is a little more difficult to prove, every organ (your brain, kidneys, heart, eyes, and even the tips of your toes) is being bathed in extra amounts of life-sustaining oxygen. To learn more about this you can focus on basic physiology which clearly shows many of these relationships.

With all this movement and because it will be impossible for you to measure the overbreathing part without specialized equipment, make sure you breath at a SLOW pace and that you are not ever OVERBREATHING.

One major fallacy is that if you exercise vigorously, you will increase the oxygenation of the blood and hence your tissues. But this is not true. Especially with those that have a CO2 imbalance.

If you try EWOT, and I believe everyone should, make sure you actually feel better after you have a session. If you are tired or no results occur after 5-10 sessions then you may not have the physiology needed and should consult a health professional. You can restart the EWOT after that person gets you back on a more stabilized condition. The health professional will need an Optimal Breath Trainer to properly assess any degree of overbreathing.

This should work for just about everyone , regardless of your health or condition. Even sitting on a rebounder gently moving up and down can work wonders in increasing your energy stores.

You can run, swim or walk miles and you will not increase the oxygen content of your blood. You may well temporarily decrease your blood oxygen as the body bums oxygen to cover the degree of increased activity level.

You may also be producing insufficient blood CO2 levels that will compromise O2 transfer into the blood cells and mitochondria. Thus you will develop "oxygen-rich blood" IF you do not have this form of hidden hyperventilation also called "overbreathing". This overbreathing can only be uncovered if you test your arterial CO2 levels to make sure you are producing enough CO2. One of our core faculty members has invented such a device that is portable and can be used by lay people as well as health professionals. more about

Oxygen Killers

The most punishing oxygen users of all are major operations, cancer, chemotherapy, X-ray therapy, and extensive bums. Operations have an instant effect on the p02. Within 24 hours the p02 drops below the danger zone and according to an MD I know it takes 50 days or more to make a reasonable recovery. I suggest that surgeons put their patients on EWOT before (when practical) and after surgery but make sure they test for correlations of UDB and or overbreathing FIRST.

Cancer loves a low-oxygen environment and so, although chemotherapy and radiation may be killing some cancer cells, it is probably encouraging the growth of more cancer because of the low oxygen content of the tissues. Cancer starts growing again, or a new type of cancer starts. Perhaps that's why in children with leukemia, the leukemia appears to have gone away after chemotherapy, but often a new cancer, a lymphoma, develops and kills the child.

Because of the known fact that cancer cannot live in a high-oxygen environment, I am convinced that EWOT is one of the better choices for many (not ALL cancers due to lymphatic density and colonic intestinal accumulations/debris where cancer hides outside of the primary blood system) cancers. see also www.breathing.com/articles/cancer.htm

I can't guarantee EWOT's effectiveness on cancer, but I'm still convinced that it will work as a preventive.

Putting It Into Practice

There are an infinite variety of ways that you can take EWOT, so let's talk about some of the nuts and bolts about how to do it. If you are going to use a tread mill or a stationary bicycle, get a refurbished oxygen concentrator. I have one I call O2D2 due to its short size and shape. Your initial investment will be about $450.00 delivered USA. The cost per exercise session will be nearly zero.

I also use a Rebounder and cross trainer that also does reverse direction. Stationary bikes and treadmills are an option but posture is critical so make sure you read my manual for specific dangers of certain forms of exercising.

It's also a good idea, unless you're an accomplished athlete, to use a pulse oxymeter called a Sports Stat (purchased online for under $300.00) . If your pulse gets over 130, slow down. Naturally, if you feel faint, stop and rest. Use common sense. If you are not sure just how fit you are and you are a little nervous, just go for two or three minutes at a slow speed the first time and find your level of tolerance. Still tired or dizzy, see your health professional. My recommended program

EWOT - Exercising With Oxygen Therapy

Dr. Mandfred Von Ardenne of Germany... received the 1931 Nobel prize for proving that cancer could not survive in a high O2 environment. It is anaeroebic. Manfred went on to do approximately 150 studies using a combination of exercise and extra oxygen. He called it "Oxygen Multistep Therapy" and wrote the book with that name.

Now I see that many are borrowing his ideas and have created home exercise programs using some of his techniques. Makes sense to me so I got my own program together which we will talk about later.

In case you are not up on this, Some Benefits of Oxygen:
    A primary reason for aging is failure of enzymatic systems that are responsible for your body's uptake and utilization of oxygen. Then, when your cells don't get enough oxygen, they get weaker and weaker. Then so do you.

Exercising, while breathing oxygen, may greatly increase the amount of oxygen in the blood plasma, i.e., the portion of the blood carrying the red and white cells. This can be determined by testing the blood oxygen level in the arteries or veins.

Good science says you can't increase the oxygen in your blood by breathing oxygen. What it means is that you can't increase the amount of oxygen in your red blood cells, which are responsible for transporting oxygen to the tissues.

The reason the amount of oxygen in the red cells (hemoglobin - key source of) cannot be increased is because, under most circumstances, they are already 97.3 percent saturated with oxygen. So, it says, a three percent increase will make little difference and the red cells won't accept the extra oxygen, anyway.

This is true but the role of oxygen in the plasma (the "juice" within which the red cells flow) needs to be considered. The oxygen content of plasmas can be dramatically increased and thus oxygen will be "pushed" into the body's cells without the aid of the red cells. It's called the Law of Mass Action.

If you build up the concentration of a certain component in a chemical mixture high enough, chemical combining will take place with other elements of the mixture that ordinarily wouldn't happen.

Most of the oxygen in the plasma under these high-saturation circumstances will be "wasted" in that it will not be absorbed by the cells which expect to be "fed" oxygen by the red cells.

But if only one-tenth of one percent of the oxygen gets through, and you offer your cells this extra "meal" every day, there will be an extensive increase in your total tissue oxygen level. The objective is to keep the oxygen level of your blood as close to optimum (100 percent on the oxymeter scale) as long as possible; ideally, for life.

Quite often (but not always) after 15 minutes of EWOT, there is a dramatic "pinking up" of a patient's skin. If this can be seen so easily by simple observation, then it is obvious that the tiny capillaries, vessels tinier than a strand of hair, are carrying extra oxygen to cells of the body. Presumably, although this is a little more difficult to prove, every organ (your brain, kidneys, heart, eyes, and even the tips of your toes) is being bathed in extra amounts of life-sustaining oxygen.

Just make sure you use your optimal oxygenation system in SLOW to medium pace mode and that you are not OVERBREATHING.

One major fallacy is that if you exercise vigorously, you will increase the oxygenation of the blood and hence your tissues. But this is not true. Especially with those that have a CO2 imbalance.

If you try EWOT, and I believe everyone should, make sure you actually feel better after you have a session. If you are tired or no results occur after 5-10 sessions then you may not have the physiology needed and should consult a health professional. You can restart the EWOT after that person gets you back on a more stabilized condition.

This should work for just about everyone, regardless of your health or condition. Even sitting on a rebounder gently moving up and down can work wonders in increasing your energy stores.

You can run, swim or walk miles and you will not increase the oxygen content of your blood. You may well temporarily decrease your blood oxygen as the body bums oxygen to cover the degree of increased activity level.

You may also be producing insufficient blood CO2 levels that will compromise O2 transfer into the blood cells and mitochondria. Thus you will develop "oxygen-rich" plasma but blood cell deficient oxygen.

IF you do not have this form of hidden hyperventilation also called "overbreathing". This overbreathing can only be uncovered if you test your arterial CO2 levels to make sure you are producing enough CO2. One of our core faculty members has invented such a device that is portable and can be used by lay people as well as health professionals. more about

This technique is so simple that one wonders why no one investigated it until 20 years ago. And, equally important, why no one has followed up on the original work by Dr. von Ardenne.

Putting It Into Practice

There are an infinite variety of ways that you can take EWOT, so let's talk about some of the nuts and bolts about how to do it. If you are going to use a tread mill or a stationary bicycle, get an refurbished oxygen concentrator. I have one I call O2D2 due to its size. Your initial investment will be about $450.00 delivered in the USA. The cost per exercise session will be nearly zero.

I also use a Rebounder and cross trainer that also does reverse direction. Stationary bikes and treadmills are an option but posture is critical so make sure you read my manual for specific dangers of certain forms of exercising.

It's a good idea, unless you're an accomplished athlete, to use a pulse oxymeter called a Sports Stat (purchased online for under $300.00 - google it) .

If your pulse gets over 130, slow down. Naturally, if you feel faint, stop and rest. Use common sense. If you are not sure just how fit you are and you are a little nervous, just go for two or three minutes at a slow speed the first time and find your level of tolerance. Still tired or dizzy, see your health professional.

-----------

Wondering if anyone has tried it?

best,
    Victoria