Oxygen Machines

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by equanimous, Jan 15, 2009.

1. equanimous

equanimous New Member

So I have CFS, and I just purchased an oxygen machine that increases oxygen concentration around 30%. I'm wondering if people think using this would be beneficial. I'm a little confused because it seems like increased oxygen should help with killing off pathogens, but then I was reading that Dr. Cheney believes CFS patients are somehow oxygen toxic. I couldn't find anything on this board relating to oxygen use, so I'm hoping to get some feedback. Thanks ahead of time!

2. Jayna

Jayna New Member

in fact it gave me quite a bit of my brain and some of my social life back. I have a portable concentrator that refines air oxygen up to 95% (give or take). Self-regulated means it's just putting (1.5 litres per minute of) oxygen near my nose, and I breathe as deeply or shallowly as I need to.

Dr. Cheney's oxygen studies, if I recall correctly, involved pressurized oxygen at 10 litres per minute - 2.5 times what the usual hospital pressure is - basically a hyperbaric oxygen chamber from the inside out. It's a whole different ball game from just breathing 'enriched' air inside your house.

I wish dr's would understand that, in our condition, just because a LITTLE of something is good, it doesn't mean a whole bunch MORE will be better.
  3. equanimous

equanimous New Member

Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a similar type of oxygen machine that's self-regulated. I was wondering whether or not the oxygen made you feel better right away, or if initially, it made you feel worse. I'm thinking it's possible it could make me feel worse at first because the increased oxygen could kill off yeast, bacteria, etc., and I would have symptoms of die-off.