Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by acuario, Jul 2, 2008.

1. acuario

acuario New Member

Hi, everyone
    I heard that oxytocin is good for Anxiety, and for other things. does anyone had good results with it? how can you get it? be prescription?

thank you all.

2. victoria

victoria New Member

I'd wanted to try it a few years ago but couldn't find a doc to rx it for me. The best I felt since I had mono/CMV for a year along with hepatitis & meningitis was when I was pregnant and nursing... 'they' say that it's a sign that oxytocin could help you.

(OOOPS edited to add - I just realized you're a guy... I have no idea how this hormone works in guys altho of course you have some too, just in differing amounts)

However, I have found that I do have bugs, bacterial in nature, as I'm on a protocol (Marshall Protocol) that has helped me. I'm not surprised since my son has shown to be CDC positive with Lyme and apparently also has bartonella and babesia - his symptoms mirrored mine. I'm still not done with it as 'life' keeps getting in the way... currrently in the midst of a move out of the country, so yet again I've had to stop for a bit... but that's another story.

If you find someone who will RX it for you, please let us know how you do on it, please!?

[This Message was Edited on 07/05/2008]
  3. donnadb

donnadb New Member

Isn't oxytocin a synthetic harmone used to induce labor???
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

about oxytocin:

Excerpt from above (lots more info in that article tho)

Specific Treatments

Oxytocin – DHEA – Nitroglycerin

Another therapy that has proven beneficial to some patients in conjunction with other treatments described is that used by Jorge Flechas, M.D., Jay Goldstein, M.D., and Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D. DHEA levels are found to be low in FMS patients.

By carefully listening to his patients’ complaints, Dr. Flechas decided that the hormone oxytocin, along with DHEA supplementation, might help alleviate some of his patients’ symptoms. He first runs a blood test to determine baseline DHEA levels, then adds supplements to bring levels up to what they should be naturally around age 30 (150-200 mcg/dl); 25-30 mg of DHEA is recommended, either in capsule form or cream. Dosages and duration of usage should be determined by a physician. Checking estrogen and testosterone levels is also recommended.

Once your DHEA is up to optimal levels, Dr. Flechas puts his patients on a 10 ml injection of oxytocin. Oftentimes patients will notice a flushed feeling in their hands or face immediately after the injection, which may or may not last for more than a few minutes. Positive effects will take approximately two weeks. Dr. Flechas recommends taking supplements of choline and inositol to increase the effectiveness of the oxytocin.

Nitroglycerin is another medication he adds to his regime to enhance pain relief. Patients who benefit from this treatment often have cold hands and feet and are pale. Daily injections of oxytocin can be given, or there is a capsule available from pharmacies. Dr. Goldstein believes injections are more effective.

Not much has been written about oxytocin in the medical literature, but it is known to have a role in inducing labor in pregnant women, facilitating the let-down response in lactating women, and regulating blood circulation in the small vessels of the body.

This hormone works within a complex network of other chemicals in our bodies that have been found to be dysregulated, such as neuropeptide Y, corticotropin releasing hormone (CRH), thyroid hormone, estrogen, DHEA, and others. Two potential side effects are weight gain and water retention. No studies have been performed on this hormone treatment as of yet [2001], but will hopefully be forthcoming.

all the best,

5. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I've used this for years. I get it from a compounding pharmacy (Belmar in Lakewood, Colorado) and use 10 iu's per day.

I think of it as a "happy for no reason" pill. What I've realized is that this is how normal people feel! Happy unless there's a reason not to. It's only us folks who are screwed up in whatever ways that do not feel happy (or okay) for no reason.

Oxytocin is released continuously by the body, but comes in big spurts at childbirth and at orgasm. I've never had a child, but one presumes that it compensates for the pain. (Otherwise women would never have more than one kid, I think.)

I think the orgasm analogy is apt. Taking this does not have the same intensity of effect, but it's sort of in the same ballpark and continues all day rather than a little while.

A long time ago, I did phone consults with an M.D. who specialized in hormones. (She was in California and had CFS herself.) She was the person who originally recommended it to me.

Now my regular CFS physician, Dr. Dale Guyer, prescribes it.

I've used it for about 10 years. The compounded oral form I take is about $1 per pill.

I do great with all hormones, and so it's not a surprise that this one has been helpful too.

I highly recommend giving it a try, especially if other hormones have been helpful.

P.S. Oh, Dr. G gave me the injectable form at one point to try. It did not work any better and may not have worked as well. Totally unnecessary. Also, there have been times when I have taken 20 iu's of oral form to see if it made me feel even better. Usually not.

And now, supplying even more personal information before, I will reveal that it seems the best way to tell if you've OD's on the oxytocin is if your nipples get permanently erect. (I don't know if that applies to guys.) I don't think there's a big problem even if that happens (e.g. not like too much DHEA which can be a very bad thing), but it's something to watch for.
  6. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

Just to add to this fascinating discussion (;-), allow me to note that the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation Cycle Block Hypothesis offers an explanation for lower than normal secretion of oxytocin in CFS.

It's basically the same as the explanation for low vasopressin (antidiuretic hormone), human growth hormone, ACTH, MSH, beta endorphin, and perforin.

All of these secretory proteins have cysteine in their amino acid makeup. Proteins with this characteristic require that the ratio of reduced to oxidized glutathione in the cells that make them be high enough to keep the cysteine in its chemically reduced state until the proper stage in synthesis of the protein. If this is not the case, many of the molecules will be made improperly and will be sent to the recycler (the proteosome) which takes them apart and makes the amino acids available for another try. This can happen over and over again in a futile cycle if the glutathione ratio is too low.

So, ladies (and probably to some degree gentlemen as well) if you want to increase your happiness, it might be worth checking out the GD-MCB hypothesis, for those who haven't already done so. This sounds like an ad for shampoo!

7. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Hi Rich,

I actually ran out of the oxytocin a while back and just got around to re-ordering it on Friday.

It will be interesting to see if I get a boost from re-starting it. I tend to think that if my body had been really craving it, I'd have spent the money/time to get it sooner. But we will see.

My adrenals also seem to be doing well.

My thyroid, not so well. Thyroid malfunctions seem to be extremely strongly correlated with mold exposures though, and since I'm still working on that area of detox it's not entirely surprising that my thyroid is still messed up.

I feel like I'm still deficient in HGH, but I took a very long break from it to get an IGF-1 test done and thus may merely have gotten behind. It will be interesting to see how the test comes up.

Anyway, it would be nice to think that your theory is right and that my endocrine system is coming back on line. Considering how desperately my body has needed hormones in the past, that would be really impressive!

Best, Lisa
  8. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

It is also available in a nasal spray. It is used by at least one DAN doctor for their autistic children patients when they are going to do blood draws.

Nasal works faster I guess.

I have wanted to get some of this medication for those times when fear takes over (like when there is a snake in the yard not mental anxiety).

When my adrenaline spikes like that, it takes days for it to come down, then I sleep for two days. All in all about 4-6 days to get over a fright.

9. spacee

spacee Member

I acutally got my CFSIMD (Chronic Fatigue Illiterate MD) to order it for me. Pretty amazing since he couldn't find it in the PDR and had to talk to the Belmar Pharacist. Made me swear that I would not take more that 10IU a day.

I liked it at first and have since decided it is one drug I can skip right now. I am liking Kirkman's magnesium cream, B-12'shots and highly salted food, DHEA, progesterone cream and estrogen.

Have been able to awake in the am and get to 2 early exercise classes a week...that is a total of 6. Back where was a couple of years ago.

Just my input..

10. lea

lea Member

Do you have to get this compounded---even the injectable type?

thank you
  11. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The injectable is a regular pharmacy product.
  12. acuario

acuario New Member

thank you all for all your answers, great posting, thanks