;p Be PREPARED for any GIFTS GIVEN to YOU ===

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by victoria, Dec 3, 2008.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

LOL after Rock's site, thought this list might come in handy, as we never know what we might be gifted with... especially since maybe more people are going to try to get more resourceful due to the economy...

Here are ten useful phrases for responding to presents - at any time of the year! - you would rather not have received:

1. Thanks a lot!

2. My word! What a gift.

3. Well, well, well ... <big smile> - I don't know what to say!

4. If I hadn't put on so much weight recently it would have fit me perfectly.

5. Gosh, I hope I never lose this. We're always losing things around here.

6. It's wonderful; but I'm worried about the jealousy it may create when my friends see this.

7. Just my luck to get this, on the Christmas/birthday/etc I promised to give all my gifts to charity.

8. Unfortunately, I am about to enter the Witness Protection program and I'm afraid I would be too noticeable in this...

9. Frankly, I don't deserve this.

10. Really, you shouldn't have.

LOL, there may be a lot of recycling of gifts this year?

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

post, Victoria. Most helpful and amusing.

Another way to say number three is, "I'm nonplussed". On the other hand, most people probably don't know the meaning of nonplussed (I just found out), so it wouldn't be the same, would it?

In cases where you're not quite sure what the present is, you could murmur, "Gosh, this is the nicest one of its kind I've ever received."

Or perhaps: Thank you so much. I've been needing a new one for some time now.

My father said the same thing for half a century. No matter what he got: Just what I wanted!

It was difficult to shop for him. The only thing in life that he wanted was booze, and my mother wouldn't allow it in the house. Oh oh: Impasse!

I'm happy to report that during the last couple decades I have reduced my gift giving and receiving by about 95%. Life is so much less complicated.

3. springwater

springwater Active Member

Thanks for the laughs.

Another idea.........open the gift....look at it, turn it over, give a quick hug to the giver..and simply say "thank you" and launch into a story about a similar gift or the weather or what ur cooking.

God Bless
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Victoria, et. al. (Mr. Al is like e.e.cummings. The shift key on his keyboard is broken.)

I was gonna tell you somebody already posted those funny things to say. Then I realized the somebody was you.

The above URL shows some gifts that are (well, sometimes) both funny and practical. I hope that address is ok.
    It looks awful long to me.

Hey! I tried the above address. It worked!
    [This Message was Edited on 12/24/2008]
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

Rock, LOL you have come up with yet another great site! I can see uses for all of those featured products for one or more members and friends lol... and myself!

Thanks, now I know where to buy stuff people never knew they needed, between those and stupid.com, for next year lol...