Paging Lolliboo.............

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by orachel, Sep 14, 2005.

1. orachel

orachel New Member

Saw your post in "pain ruining my life"...please tell me you're looking for another doctor?! Just wanted to make sure. First guy I went to was such a jerk he called FM a "mental illness"...these attitudes are not acceptable, especially when they make you feel crummier. Maybe until you find another doc you can ask your doc (Grrrr....) or call local hospitals to find a Pain Management Clinic. They've been really helpful to some people here.

Good luck!
    Rachel
  2. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

She WAS my "new Doctor"! She is who dx the FM, and I appreciate that, but I guess I thought that b/c she could recognize the illness, she could treat it appropriately. I still want to be optimistic, because #1: she prescribed Tramadol when I asked, #2: I am just starting on Neurontin, and hope it helps, #3: She prescribed a PT consult so that I could get ins. to pay for my TENS, #4: She did refer me to a pain management clinic (Thank God!), and perhaps the most important reason of all, #5: I hate going to doctors, especially new ones who don't know me, my history, my illness, my "pattern", and trying to regurgitate all my symptoms in the "correct" order to a doctor too pressed for time to listen, let alone spend precious deductive powers to determine which medications might be most appropriate for ME, individually, for my situation.
    Wow, I sound really cynical. I don't know. There is definitely a problem and I do need to reconsider... they made me feel even worse today. I would have been better off not having called at all... except for the referral to the pain clinic. My husband's aunt works for Mayo in Rochester and says I could stay with them and my ins. would pay for treatment, but it would be so hard to be away from my family. They are who I live for and the reason I get up on even the hardest days.
    As it is, my dr is an hour and 1/2 away. Okay- I'm done rationalizing. It is unacceptable to treat patients this way and it is people (like me) who justify staying with creepy drs that keep them in business.
    Thanks for your concern and edging me forward on this.

BTW: I read your post on another thread (disability) and you are echoing so much of where I am. I just turned 30 and I know that I can't continue working. I have tried to find a way to keep at it, but I know that it is not reasonable to expect that I can, with everything that I am and will be going through. I have been on a leave of absence for the last month and 1/2 (I was out for a month before that and had a serious pattern of absenteeism prior to that and at my last job... I wonder if that counts?) Anyway, sorry for the OT...

Thanks Again-
    Lollie
  3. orachel

orachel New Member

I don't really dislike them, I just know there's a lot of bad ones out there. Plus, I've read a few articles where Rheumy's and other docs call us their "Sorrow Cases"...not cause they're evil, just because its frustrating for them to only be able to provide some relief to some of us!

As for meds and stuff...I found a terrific resource. I think at this point I prob know more about FM medications than my doc (who is a PHysical Medicine doc, btw...maybe you can look there also...many of them also specialize in FM/CFS, or at least deal with it a great deal). Um, I think website is afsafund dot org...they have truckloads of amazing info. Have huge amazing (printable!) chart of all medicines that are ever prescribed for FM, plus side effects, cautions, dosage ranges, effects, the works. I've had bad reactions to a few meds, looked on chart, found another med that has comment like "commonly prescribed for patients with intolerance to X", and asked my doc for a scrip...works great! Also, just a ton of amazing info about trial drugs, current studies, etc....amazing resource.

Good luck!
  4. orachel

orachel New Member

on them are propping me up, these days. Sounds like we have a ton in common...lets definitely keep up w each other. I know theres a legal way to swap email addys, but I have no idea what it is! When I find out, I'll let you know. I actually have all the cool info from that site saved to a document, could just email whole 70 page shebang to you once we figure out how to do it.

It'd be good to have a "disability" buddy. Isn't that sad? But not a ton of us in our age range at same stage of treatment..that's pretty rare.

Talk to you soon!
    Rachel
  5. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    I am amazed at how much this board has helped me and you have no idea how much your support/ info. helps me right now! I am worried about the pain clinic- everyone else seems to think chronic pain or intense pain in the absence of an obvious deformity should be dealt with by a psychologist or any other dr. but themselves! I had just posted onto another thread where someone asked about pain management clinics- they were asking what to expect and I want to know, too. When I see the Physical Medicine Dr, will they then handle all my meds or do they become a primary at all? I can't remember the other thread, but if you can find it, let me know- otherwise I'll look it back up and tell you.
    You have been a wonderful angel, Rachel- Thanks!
    Laura
  6. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

I can't find the site you were talking about... any more info. on that?
    Thanks!