Pain after surgery and cyclic pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shashi, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Shashi

Shashi New Member

I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, though I've been dealing with symptoms similar to MS for the past two years. Over the last couple of months, I've had increased pain in my arms, legs, back, and rib areas. My PCP is sending me to a rheumatologist to check out the possibility of FM.

I had surgery on Monday for a deviated nasal septum and had to spend the night because my oxygen levels were going too low. I got home yesterday, but I've been in severe pain in my chest, ribs, back, and arms since surgery.

Would having surgery cause an increase in pain if the pain was from FM?

Also, my pain seems to come in cycles throughout the month. I'll do fine for several weeks, then for a week or two, I'll be in a lot of pain and have to use Alieve to get some relief. I've actually charted this on a calendar. (I don't know if it's related to hormonal cycles as I had a hysterectomy and my ovaries removed and I'm on HRT.)

Does anyone else have anything like this?
    [This Message was Edited on 07/30/2008]
  2. baanders

baanders New Member

Sounds like you've been in a lot of pain due to surgery. And stress can cause a fibromyalgia flare. Just lying on the hard bed, being afraid, being mistreated. I don't know what your hormone levels are, but before my periods, I hurt worse. I don't know what HRT's impact on fibromyalgia is.

I don't think this severe, daily pain is permanent. I think when the pain from the surgery clears, the pain will clear. I don't know how severe your FMS is. Some people can exercise out of it. Many are helped with meds. Please consider the intrathecal pain pump (look on medicine net).

I'm so sorry about the MS and FMS. You have a lot on your plate. God bless you.