PAIN AND FATIGUE QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Annette2, May 8, 2003.

1. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

It seems that when I'm in a lot of pain I also experience more fatigue. Does that happen to anyone here? I am in extreme pain in my hands, and since the pain started I'm also having more fatigue. It could be that I'm not sleeping well, but I'm not sure. I've been walking around like a zombie for the past 2 days. Does anyone else experience this? And if so, why would pain cause more fatigue?

Annette2
  2. horsegal

horsegal New Member

My weak theory and experience is that pain takes a lot of energy. In short, it sucks the life right out of a person. When I have a lot of pain I feel very tired--just plain tired and tired of fighting the pain. Does this make sense? Does it ring any bells for anyone out there?
  3. Red1967

Red1967 New Member

I have to agree with horsegal, that pain sucks the life right out of us. It takes alot of energy to maintain high levels of pain. Personally, when my pain gets really bad, I keep trying to 'squirm away' from it, being restless, moving about to try to escape it. And that takes energy too. Along with all the concentration on trying NOT to hurt. My pain levels are definitely tied in with fatigue.
  4. mattnoti

mattnoti New Member

This sounds like an excellent theory to me!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. layinglow

layinglow New Member

The BRAIN STEM is
    Deep in Brain, leads to spinal cord.
    Two of its many Functions:
    Affects level of alertness.
    Ability to sleep.

With CFS/FMS Pain Messages are originating in our Central Nervous System---being transmitted down our spinal cords.
    Elevated Substance P--which is actually a marker for CNS injury is in spinal fluid.

Both the Fatigue you are experiencing, and the pain (with less sleep) is originating in the CNS (Central Nervous System)

Betcha Spacee is using CNS depressants---to relieve the pain and fatigue. Hi ya Spacee :)

IMHO--Layinglow
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2003]
  6. jka

jka New Member

i also have found the more i hurt the more tired i am.i have to take naps when i'm really hurting.and my brain doesn't work as well.i don't know why pain causes more fatigue.maybe we aren't sleeping as well.or maybe it means we're in a flare.wish i could help you more-sorry.

kathy c
    [This Message was Edited on 05/10/2003]
  7. amaryllis

amaryllis New Member

For me, the pain sucks the life right out of me and causes awful fatigue. My body is so tired and drained from fighting the pain I am left with nothing at all. :-(

~A
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I think we all experience this. When the pain is so bad, the brain and body seem to go into a protective mode. We just want to lay down, and don't move.

Sometimes I get fatigue without the pain, thats when it really aggravates me, I could be doing things since I am not in so much pain, but am too tired to give any though to anything but getting in bed!

I sure hope you are feeling better soon, this is one draining illness.

Shalom, Shirl
  9. barbarann

barbarann New Member

I think fatigue and pain go together. What I hate is when people tell you if you would just move around more you wouldn't be so tired. I always want to say what a wonderful idea, I never thought of that. But I bite my tongue. Barbarann
  10. bakron

bakron New Member

Here is how my doctor explained the pain and fatigue “cycle” to me:

Pain starts the cycle. Example: Pain ---- problems sleeping --- accentuating the pain --- accentuating the problem with sleep.

So, most of the time, the doctor that I use will prescribe an antidepressant (the type of antidepressant that works on neurotransmission process) and a pain medication in hopes to stop the pain cycle and promote sleep.

In addition, FMS people are much more sensitive to pain due to problems with neurotransmission of in brain pathways. It's like our brains won't sort out pain (sometimes other stimuli as well). We may become bombarded with stimuli and then are unable to have a truly deep sleep (type 4), which is very much needed.

My doctor has placed me on Neurontin to help induce a better sleep. I don't know if I've found the right dosages for all of my meds as yet. Sometimes I feel better, but then like you, I'll get an ache somewhere and then the cycle begins again. I'm sure others may relate to this type of cycle.
  11. Bree

Bree New Member

PACKMAN............SINCE YOU HAVE FRIBRO? YOU NATURALLY HAVE CFS. THEY ARE RELATED VERY CLOSELY......I HAVE BEEN A SURVIVOR NOW FOR 23 YEARS!!! I SEEM TO HAVE HD IT ALL AT ONE TIME OR THE OTHER! THE BURNING INTHE ANKLES IS KNOWN AS
    CELLLUTIUS.....(SP) I HAD IT FOR 6 WEEKS BEFORE I WENT FOR HELP!!!!! I THOUGHT I COULD WITH STAND THE REDDNESS AND BURNING AND THE PAIN.....I LOST! HAD TO GET A MED FOR THIS.
    IF YOU WILL DO SOME RESEARCH ON ANYTHING THAT BOTHERES YOU???
    IT "HAS A NAME".......REMEBER??? IT'S NOT IN YOUR HEAD.
    "IT IS REAL PAIN " DO NOT ALLO ANY DR. TO TEL YOU DIFFERENT, BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE ANY RESEARCH ON FIBRO, CFS, OCD, CFS, DDD, OR ANYTHING !!! I WNT AND HAD 9 EXRAYS DONE. THIS "RHEUMY" TOLD ME I HAVE "DEGERNATIVE DISC DISASE"
    HE OFFERED NOTHING TO HELP ME....." FIRST DO NO HARM"!!!!
    I HAVE A MORPHINE BLOCK IMPLANT FOR TWO YEARS NOW. I WOULD HAVE DIED FROM THE PAIN OTHER WISE. MY PAIN MANAGEMENT DR. DID THE SURGERY. I GET "REFILLS" EVERY 6 WEEKS.........TO ME IT WAS A MIRACLE, BUT I STILL HAVE OA, DDD,OCD,CFS,
    MACULAR DEGERNATON ( AM GOING BLIND) AMD REMISSION CANCER.
    NO AMOUNT OF MEDS HELPED MY PAIN..........I USE ICE & HEAT.
    IF YOU'D LIKE TO EMAIL ME? FEL FREE TO DO SO......
    (arden100533@aol.com) BUT PLEASE IDENTIFY YOURSELF, AS I HAVE MANY FRIENDS.......AND THEY THIK O KNOW WHO THEY ARE!!!
    (excuse all mistakes...ok? ) TY....
    GOD BLESS YOU,
    Bree,
    Lakeland. FL>