Pain and Pain Meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Missnae1, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Missnae1

Missnae1 New Member

First let me confess that I've been "lurking" for several momths.....Second I have a question about the pain. I know it's different for everyone, but here goes....is the pain so bad that pain meds are needed OR is it the day after day after day of unrelenting pain that requires meds to take the edge off? Hope that makes sense. Just looking for a little feedback. Thanks to everyone for helping me even though I was lurking.
  2. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

After visiting with Dr. Devin Starlanyl,author,M.D. Spec.in fm. She stated her pt. who took them hit or miss as I had did not do as well. The one`s that took them regular did much better on a daily bases. I guess until you get better or a cure is found duhhh,I won`t hold my breath. Some of us have numerous other prob. causing added pain also.

BTW Welcome and Good Luck. How are you doing? Huggggsss
  3. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

Welcome to the board. I was a "lurker" at first too. Regarding your 2nd question: I take pain meds because the pain is unbearable. I can lighten my dosage or increase it as needed. I take Tramadol (generic for Ultram) 50mg 3X a day. During flares (like right now) I add a 1/2 of Soma 350mg. It really helps take the edge off.

Glad to have you here. Feel free to post as little or as much as you would like. Also search through old posts if you are looking for something particular. The folks here are very understanding and knowledgeable.

Lisa
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

When I do take pain meds it's because the pain is so unbearable that I am at the point of tears. I have never had any narcotic pain meds until last month when I went to a pain mgt. doc. and she gave me Darvocet LOL ...

It's not much better than a Tylenol, but I take 2 at a time when I need to. I don't take them every day. I used to just take 3 Advil (total of 600 mg). It usually works better than the Darvocet.

However, I went to the pain mgt doc because of the pain from a lot of other problems in my back such as severe spinal stenosis, buldging disks, pinched nerves, bone spurrs, severe degenerating disks, etc. I also have lupus and arthritis which cause pain, and other major problems which do not cause pain such as diabetes and heart problems.

So, like was already mentioned, a lot of us who mention taking pain meds have a ton of other painful problems that add to the fibro which causes our lives to be miserable.

I worked for 30 years in a stressful, demanding job, in pain every day of the last 20 years on the job, without taking more than Tylenol, aspirin, or Advil; along with ice packs and heating pads after work. Not fun, but you have to do what you have to do when you have a family and obligations. I am retired now, have developed many more health problems, and some days would just like to have a tad relief from this pain which never leaves me. (I wish it would take a vacation!!!!!!!) LOL
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Missnae, welcome to our world. I have Fibro and that is unrelenting pain. I can't take prescription pain meds, I have toughed it out for over twenty years now.

The only OTC that I can take, and that only occasionally too is Advil Gel caps. I have IBS and also had ulcers at one time, so most pain meds are off limits for me.

I did find a good combination when the pain gets so bad that I am about to scream, its a low dose of Xanax and an Advil. According to Devin Starlanyl the Xanax enhances the pain killing effects of the Advil. It works for me.

I have never tried to take pain killers everyday. Good thing, I would not have a stomach left or kidneys.

Glad you decided to post, and hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl

6. Lynda B.

Lynda B. New Member

For me it is both. There was a time my pain level was high every day and night for a couple of years. But even when pain is moderate for days on ends or months on end, I don't see the difference. It does wear and tear on the body and mind. If I have a headache that is a 10 for two days out of every week or a headache that is 4-5 all the time, I think it is still the same. Relief is needed. My narcotics are a blessing and have been at the same level for a couple of years. Still, some days are better than others.

Lynda B.