Pain At The Beauty Shop

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmama, Aug 22, 2002.

1. granmama

granmama New Member

Today, I went to the beauty shop for a hair cut and color. I have always colored it myself, but I thought since my back was healing, it would be best not to bend over the tub.
    So, it was a real treat to have someone else do it, up until I layed my neck on the rinse sink and after about 15 seconds, I was in so much pain!
    It really hurt my neck and I had to pull up several times to relieve the pain.

I wish I had my husband home tonight to give me a neck massage. He has to be careful because of that lymph node in my neck, but it still feels sooooo good.

Do any of you ladies hurt when you have your head in one of those sinks?

granmama

2. granmama

granmama New Member

Today, I went to the beauty shop for a hair cut and color. I have always colored it myself, but I thought since my back was healing, it would be best not to bend over the tub.
    So, it was a real treat to have someone else do it, up until I layed my neck on the rinse sink and after about 15 seconds, I was in so much pain!
    It really hurt my neck and I had to pull up several times to relieve the pain.

I wish I had my husband home tonight to give me a neck massage. He has to be careful because of that lymph node in my neck, but it still feels sooooo good.

Do any of you ladies hurt when you have your head in one of those sinks?

granmama

3. selma

selma New Member

I'm a grandma too. I ve been there a long time ago.
    I let my hair grow grey. Look alot older but feel better. I get it cut. But no shampoo/sink for me. I hope that you are feeling better soon

Love, Selma

4. Jeweller

Jeweller New Member

but I do have the exact same problem with the sinks. The pressure and strain is just too much most of the time. I always have to take my own shampoo and conditioner too, as I'm allergic to virtually all shampoos.

The only solution I've found is to wash it myself before going, which probably isn't what you wanted to hear!

Ros
  5. Jackie F

Jackie F New Member

Explain that you have a severe neck problem and ask for a folded towel under your neck, on the bowl.

It isn't just the hardness of the sink--it is the exreme coldness of it.

Many do NOT like to do this, mainly because they are too lazy & cheap. You would be using extra equipment! Whooptydo!

Insist or shop elsewhere!

When you are stressed, and having color or perm; it can effect the quality of the process.

Ex-Cosmetology Teacher--a hundred years ago! hee hee

Same thing if the fumes bother you from the process--ask for a towel to cover your mouth & nose while being laid back. I always insisted my PG mommies used them for their saftety!
    Jackie F
  6. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

One of my Sister's was a Hair Stylist, and I hated thoes sinks, till she started doing like Jackie.
    She put a towel under my neck.

That was before my Lamanectomy tho, neck surgery on the c/7 of the vertabe. Now I can't tolerate them at all.
    So I just wash my hair first, then I go to the Beauty Shop.
    All they have to do then is wet it with a water sprayer.

I still am able to dye my own hair, so it's usually just for a trim, but it sure does feel good when they use the Blow dryer and lightly Brush my hair. Helps the Scalp pain too.

Have a Good Hair day. ;o)
    kredca4
  7. klutzo

klutzo New Member

The towel under the neck makes a big difference. I started doing it after my Neurologist warned me about the stroke potential.
    I am lucky now that I have a casual friend who is a retired hairdresser, but likes to do the hair of a few of her friends at her home. Because we are in a home, she has to bend me forward into the kitchen sink, and that alleviates the whole problem.
    However, she likes her house really warm, and it makes me feel faint, so I still color it myself and go many months between trims in order to avoid going over there. She came to my house once to do it when I was too sick to go to hers, and she had to wear a sweater to stand being in my house. It was 75 degrees in my house. I told her to get her thyroid checked!
    Klutzo
  8. MarilynK

MarilynK New Member

I hate those sinks to , it depends what kind of chair and also the type of sink.
    I agree with the towel and also ask for a pillow or acushen for you back.
    Remember you are paying for there service and if they are good hairdressers they know what that means.
    I hope you feel better soon.God Bless.

From a used to be hairdresser.
    Marilyn (Norway)
  9. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

There was an article in a magazine a couple of years ago about the high incidence of stroke in older ladies that sit in a beauticians chair. It seems that when we rest our neck in that support thingie, it can cut off the blood flow to our brain, thus causing a stroke. Normally this only happens in older ladies....don't know why for sure!

ssMarilyn
  10. blast

blast New Member

Make sure the beautician knows of the pain you have, and have them accomadate you.
    Like Jackie said towels, towels, towels. Have them lift your head up as high as possible. Also, sit on something in the chair, like more towels to keep you up higher, or if you need to be lower have them remove them and release the air pressure of chair to make sure you are at the lowest point possible. Jackie is right, if they don't want to accomodate you find another salon!
    Good luck
    Blast
  11. granmama

granmama New Member

.....there was a potential stroke risk. My sister has had 2 TIA's and she goes to the beauty shop almost weekly, she is 62 now. But, there again, she is treated for high bp, cholesterol and triglycerides. She is also a diabetic.
    I'll pass the word on to her about this risk.

I will request a more comfortable position w/towels on my next visit. The chair adjacent to the sink is a lounger and really is quite comfortable, except for that___ sink.
    I have had the same hairdresser for 15 years, she is younger than me! This was the first time I have let anyone color my hair, so the process was new. We only used the sink to rinse the color off, shampoo, rinse.
    But, that was quite enough to induce pain.

I want to express my warmhearted thanks to all that have responded to this subject matter. It's so nice to know you are not alone.

take care,
    granmama
  12. DeeMerrk

DeeMerrk New Member

I also do what so many of you suggested; wash my own hair in shower before I go. If it is for a perm, where we are required to have our head in a sink, I for years have my hairdresser put a booster-type seat in the chair on which I kneel and lean into the sink.

My hairdresser knows my problem with neck, and does everthing to accomodate me. I was aware of the risk of stroke, but the big issue was the pain and dizziness when bending my neck backwards.

Just what worked for me: Dee
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2002]
    [This Message was Edited on 08/24/2002]